Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Access to black and gray tanks

2013 Seneca FS. Anyone know where the tanks are and if they are accessible? Best I can tell they are above the driver rear wheel well. That seems like wheel needs to come off to access. I want to clean and maybe replace the tank sensors.
GuidoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

I asked for my black tank sensor to be fixed when I had it in for service. They just chuckled. Needless to say, nothing was fixed. It still shows full after the first #1 after emptying the tank.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post
I asked for my black tank sensor to be fixed when I had it in for service. They just chuckled. Needless to say, nothing was fixed. It still shows full after the first #1 after emptying the tank.
Haha, mine pretty much does the same thing. In fact my old RV class C's poop meter was rarely accurate except that one would always read 2/3 full until it really was full it would show full.
If I fill my current Greyhawk BW tank with a full load of water than drive it down the highway for a few miles aiming for the bumps on the road, that clears the debris from the float or sensor and it will show empty and work as intended during the next tank filling trip but then go wonky again.
Thus the sensor is working fine until a wad of TP throws it off agian.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

I guess we all need to get bidets and stop using TP! LOL
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

Are any of ou using the black tank "drop-in" additives to break down waste for you. Of course that takes a little time, but should minimize the likelihood of TP or waste blockage. Or so they say!
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

I use them because they eliminate odor. Haven't seen that they help with sensor issues. I'm going to take the advice of filling up the tank and driving around to get any debris off the sensors and see how that works.

The Seneca has the "Sanitize Tank" connector that works a wand inside the tank and that doesn't even get the sensors working.

Maybe I'll remove the TP holder and install a pull out water nozzle.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

I replaced the factory monitor panel with the SeeLevel system which actually provides percentage readings from 0-100% of the black, grey and fresh tanks. They also have a model for LPG monitoring as well.

The grey tank for the 37TS is between the rear tires. I unscrewed the driver side rear fender, lifted it up, removed the plastic panel which exposed the tank and a ton of items that appeared to be installed by mickey-mouse.

In addition to installing the SeeLevel tank monitor, I insulated the piping, supported the heater duct and wire looms, sealed everything like it should have been from the factory. All good now :-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5110.jpg   IMG_5115.jpg  
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

I had all sensors showing full on the Seneca after our last trip, even with a completely empty black tank. So, I filled it about 3/4 full with fresh water, then dumped in about two cups of Dawn dish soap, a whole small bottle of Downy Fabric Softener, Thetford sensor cleaner, dropped in a deodorizer packet, and drove it around about 20 miles. Let it sit for a few days, then went and dumped it, rinsed it with a hose in through the window, and ran the "Sanitize" procedure. Top two show empty, but the bottom 1/3 sensor shows it's still at that level. Should be better on the next trip. This sometimes happens when you try to conserve tank space and don't flush enough water with toilet paper, and when you often take a leak elsewhere to avoid filling the tank. It needs a lot of liquid to be sure everything in there mixes adequately to break down the paper and solids. Next trip has full hookups the whole week, so we shouldn't have much problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Try adding a bag of ice when you start the drive and let the ice scrub the inside of the tank. I pretty much ignore the sensors now anyway and just look down the toilet to check. The ice will work short term though.
War Eagle 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post
I replaced the factory monitor panel with the SeeLevel system which actually provides percentage readings from 0-100% of the black, grey and fresh tanks. They also have a model for LPG monitoring as well.

The grey tank for the 37TS is between the rear tires. I unscrewed the driver side rear fender, lifted it up, removed the plastic panel which exposed the tank and a ton of items that appeared to be installed by mickey-mouse.

In addition to installing the SeeLevel tank monitor, I insulated the piping, supported the heater duct and wire looms, sealed everything like it should have been from the factory. All good now :-)
LSA376: So you just take the two screws out on either side of the fender and it hinges up?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #11

Exactly. There are two self tapping screws on the front and rear of the fender skirt. The brackets are riveted into the mud flap braces so unscrew the ones that go into the fiberglass fenders only. The fender flips up, I didn't completely remove the fender from the belt line molding just used an adjustable pole to hold it up out of the way.

There is a plastic cover screwed in place behind the fender, mine was not secured as it was wide open into the space. After I cleaned up the area in the space I used spray foam to seal the area then used caulking to completely seal the cover before lowering the fender skirt.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote