Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Well not so fast. The transmission is what I was hoping for. But now as I turn off the engine I hear an air hissing noise from behind the dash and the front air tank drains to nothing in 10 minutes.

I’ll call them in the morning. It’s actually almost funny. Well, no it’s not. On the bright side I have an OD lockout.
Must have disturbed something with your parking brake valve while digging around in the dash. Funny they didn't hear it after they put it back together.

I hope it is an easy fix!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #22

Rob is probably right and it should be an easy fix - they hopefully will put you at the front of the line ( the right thing to do ) if they hesitate - use the term “ safety issue “ good luck Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #23

All is well in the world. I went to Freightliner first thing this morning and within an hour they fixed the air leak. The service writer didn’t know what they did to stop the air leak but it stopped and I now have an Overdrive lockout switch

The Seneca is back in it’s Seneport and I am now that proverbial Happy Camper.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Ok, it only took 3 1/2 weeks and $1,340 but I now have an Over Drive lockout switch on my 2018 M2 Seneca. Obviously it is a challenge to test the improvement in mountain climbing here in south Florida but while driving at 60 mph and hitting the button, the RPM goes from 1,600 to 2,600. I’m thinking that will make a difference climbing.

I’ll get to test it in the hills of Tennessee and North Carolina in two weeks.

I still contend that Jayco cheaped out by not having it installed from the Freightliner factory but at least now I have it.
We just got back from our annual trip to Colorado... and this year we trailered the extra water tanks and the FJCruiser along to do some exploring. This time, I was paying a little more attention to the shift points with the OD lockout shift button.

Climbing a 6% and a 7% grade on HWY-6 at 33,400# in overdrive... we eventually slowed down to below 55-MPH on the grade. I hit the lockout switch and the trans shifted down without moving my foot on the skinny pedal - now continued up the grade at 56-MPH at 2,300-RPM. I could have picked up a little speed on the rest of the climb, but thought to leave well enough- alone.

As I had said to Mark some weeks back... If our Seneca did not have the OD lockout switch, I would easily pay $1,500 to have one installed, it makes a huge difference. If I had to leave our Seneca in OD and never get to switch it out - It would suck out every ounce of patience on every hill...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We just got back from our annual trip to Colorado... and this year we trailered the extra water tanks and the FJCruiser along to do some exploring. This time, I was paying a little more attention to the shift points with the OD lockout shift button.

Climbing a 6% and a 7% grade on HWY-6 at 33,400# in overdrive... we eventually slowed down to below 55-MPH on the grade. I hit the lockout switch and the trans shifted down without moving my foot on the skinny pedal - now continued up the grade at 56-MPH at 2,300-RPM. I could have picked up a little speed on the rest of the climb, but thought to leave well enough- alone.

As I had said to Mark some weeks back... If our Seneca did not have the OD lockout switch, I would easily pay $1,500 to have one installed, it makes a huge difference. If I had to leave our Seneca in OD and never get to switch it out - It would suck out every ounce of patience on every hill...
That’s what I want to hear Steve. We leave next Wednesday for Tennessee so I’ll get to try it out.

And I’m glad you picked that $1,500 value since I only paid $1,340. I feel like I saved $160. Lol.

Thank you for your guidance on this mod Steve.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 AM   #26

I have a '16 so have the OD switch as that was the last year for them being standard. It definitely makes a difference on the hills. What I'm curious about is do you guys think you still need the Alison transmission re-program to performance mode, or is the OD switch enough?

I'm still debating if I want to do the Alison re-program.
2012 Rans Seavo Tandem Bicycle
pmdevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #27

I can’t speak yet on the OD lockout on long climbs, but I did not enjoy driving my Seneca when it was stuck in the “economy” mode. I had no passing gear at all. It seemed just as the engine was developing some power, it would up shift.

On our first trip out and going up an incline on the highway, my wife, a former 1st grade teacher, started chanting “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can” and questioned why I bought a diesel. She has not done that since the reprogram.

Also, I noticed absolutely no difference in the MPG.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #28

I have driven my Seneca with the new OD lockout up to Boone NC and it has made the drive more pleasant. I find on the longer climbs being able to stay in 4 th gear keeps the RPM more in the power range. So yes, it is a nice improvement. And if we can’t have the selectable gears like the Allison 3000, this should have come standard.

What I am really liking is locking out OD on the declines. Between the exhaust brake and the lower gear, descending long grades is more controllable with less braking.

Overall I am happy I added this switch.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #29

Is it possible to post some part # and cost so in the future we can help the parts person to order the proper parts?
Super C Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super C Dreamer View Post
Is it possible to post some part # and cost so in the future we can help the parts person to order the proper parts?
Cost was about $1,400, most of which was labor.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super C Dreamer View Post
Quote:
Cost was about $1,400, most of which was labor.
Mark - any chance you could post up some part numbers for the switch or anything that would make life easier trying to research doing this ?

Thank you

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #32

I have attached a copy of the work order for the OD lockout switch. Other than a few connectors and harness, it was all labor. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
13AE903E-030E-46B9-AC04-CBDCC48FE05D.jpg  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #33

HUH? Pulled the steering column? Why did they need to do that? Maybe now I am getting to know why you don't like that FL dealership.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
HUH? Pulled the steering column? Why did they need to do that? Maybe now I am getting to know why you don't like that FL dealership.
Yup. You are at their mercy. I don’t think I’ll be going back to them except maybe for warranty work.

Who knows, maybe they just made stuff up.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #35

So finally got around to having my O/D lock out switch installed. Was originally going to have it done at our local Allison dealer however they were still not sure about doing it so booked it in with the Freightliner dealer. I had preordered the switch and wire harness that Mark was nice enough to share the part numbers here on the forum (thanks again Mark!) I’ve had the parts sitting here at home figuring I was taking it into Allison but as I explained earlier that didn’t work out.
Anyways, I asked Freightliner for a bit of an estimate and they figured about 4hrs so I got them to go ahead with the install. Had a call late in the afternoon that they figured they needed an extra couple of hrs as they would need to make up another wire harness as well as the one that I supplied. So much the same as your install Mark. So it ended up costing me $943 plus the $57 for the switch and harness.
Looking forward to the spring to really try it out!

Bruce
Old 11-05-2020, 05:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
So finally got around to having my O/D lock out switch installed. Was originally going to have it done at our local Allison dealer however they were still not sure about doing it so booked it in with the Freightliner dealer. I had preordered the switch and wire harness that Mark was nice enough to share the part numbers here on the forum (thanks again Mark!) I’ve had the parts sitting here at home figuring I was taking it into Allison but as I explained earlier that didn’t work out.
Anyways, I asked Freightliner for a bit of an estimate and they figured about 4hrs so I got them to go ahead with the install. Had a call late in the afternoon that they figured they needed an extra couple of hrs as they would need to make up another wire harness as well as the one that I supplied. So much the same as your install Mark. So it ended up costing me $943 plus the $57 for the switch and harness.
Looking forward to the spring to really try it out!

Bruce
I’m glad it worked out Bruce. And a few hundred less than I paid, good deal! The aggravating part of the deal is the switch absolutely should have been installed at the factory.

Between the transmission reprogram, the OD lockout and the power uprate, my Seneca now drives like I thought it should have when new.

Let’s us know your impression the the improvement.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:
I’m glad it worked out Bruce. And a few hundred less than I paid, good deal! The aggravating part of the deal is the switch absolutely should have been installed at the factory.

Between the transmission reprogram, the OD lockout and the power uprate, my Seneca now drives like I thought it should have when new.

Let’s us know your impression the the improvement.
Yes, when I originally talked to Freightliner on the O/D switch they were in some what disbelief that it did not have the switch already installed.
Will definitely report back when we can get out again, won’t be until the spring sometime now.
We have some highways here in B.C. that we travel frequently where the posted speed is 80kph/50mph and full of large grade changes and curves. So this is where I’m sure the O/D switch is going to shine!

Hmmm! Yes, the engine power uprate. It’s on the LIST! LOL!