Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Adding a second battery in parallel

Has anyone assed a second 12v battery to their class c. Can the inverter handle it??
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Has anyone assed a second 12v battery to their class c. Can the inverter handle it??

It has nothing to do with the inverter. 12 V is 12V !! Just more reserve for the system.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post

It depends on the model. On mine, and may other of the newer ones, there's no room for a second in the battery tray.

A few enterprising souls have tackled the job anyway.

Yes, the *converter* can handle charging two
Old 10-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

Yes, on my 2015 29MV. I added another battery in the compartment aft of the battery tray. Had to beef up the compartment to ensure I wouldn't leave it on the road somewhere.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Yes I have 2 in my 2019 29mv as well
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

My 2009 Greyhawk removed the old door cut out for larger door and tray added two 6v Trojans
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

opening up battery area for two 6volt

pictures please?!
docnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnielsen View Post
pictures please?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	45033

This is what I did to add two more Group 27 deep cycle batteries that I tied in at the original house battery connections (I ran 4 gauge wire along the frame). I dry camp, mostly, and with just running the generator for short periods for coffee maker, microwave, and an occasional extra run for good luck, I stay out for over a week at a time and do not run out of battery. If we go out in the winter months, where the temps run at night in the low to mid 20’s, and we use the heater all night, we have to use the generator longer to recharge the batteries. Even so, the use of the generator is not excessive. It works for us !!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

In the spring I plan on adding 2 more batteries to my system and a solar panel to keep them topped off. 3 batteries should give me plenty of current for a night of heavy use while camping. I have an Octane 272 and only 1 battery can fit in the battery compartment, but I am going to add the other 2 in the compartment just forward of it.
upinthemountains2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Attachment 45033

This is what I did to add two more Group 27 deep cycle batteries that I tied in at the original house battery connections (I ran 4 gauge wire along the frame). I dry camp, mostly, and with just running the generator for short periods for coffee maker, microwave, and an occasional extra run for good luck, I stay out for over a week at a time and do not run out of battery. If we go out in the winter months, where the temps run at night in the low to mid 20’s, and we use the heater all night, we have to use the generator longer to recharge the batteries. Even so, the use of the generator is not excessive. It works for us !!
Like the box. Is it a special box for batteries? and how did you vent it? I see the nice big padlock.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Like the box. Is it a special box for batteries? and how did you vent it? I see the nice big padlock.

Norty1 - Yes, this is a specialty box just for batteries. It is made by RV Armor. They have different sizes, but this one will hold two group 27s and some other types (you can read the description on Amazon, or go to their own website where you can see others that they make for other battery applications). It is made so that it will vent the batteries. The top is lockable and slides off so that one can check water level. As with others, it is a little pricey, but I am very happy with theClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	45205 purchase. I bought and installed it two years ago, and glad I did.