Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #1

Adding batteries to Greyhawk 26Y

Ok...I am upgrading my "boondocking ability" in my Greyhawk 26 y....getting a battery meter installed today, and want to add a few more 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Obviously it just has this single battery tray but a storage compartment next door. A few issues...if I use flooded batteries, I need ventilation holes...how much? Also...this plastic storage bin seems a tad flimsy to add 2 heavy group 27 batteries (even tied down to a plywood base to spread out weight)...any body have ideas on strengthening this compartment? or experience in adding batteries to a 26Y that will save me figuring it out?
Rueckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

The only one here who I saw post about moving the batteries and reinforcing the compartment ran big threaded rods up into the coach. IIRC Jayco specifies the weight limit on those compartments and I don't think it's much. Two batteries would give me pause.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #3

yes...me too....I am putting a couple of 1 1/2" angle steels under the plastic bin and attaching up onto framing ...going to attach up from the strapping into a 16 by 36" oak board I will mount batteries on and also spread weight and stop any movement
Rueckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #4

These compartments will definitely not hold one, much less two group 27 batteries. I checked out the strength of these compartments prior to putting a battery in it. They're only supported by the 1/8" luan (plywood) that's under the Styrofoam insulation. Here's what I did to beef it up a bit.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...9mv-61495.html
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueckert View Post
Ok...I am upgrading my "boondocking ability" in my Greyhawk 26 y....getting a battery meter installed today, and want to add a few more 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Obviously it just has this single battery tray but a storage compartment next door. A few issues...if I use flooded batteries, I need ventilation holes...how much? Also...this plastic storage bin seems a tad flimsy to add 2 heavy group 27 batteries (even tied down to a plywood base to spread out weight)...any body have ideas on strengthening this compartment? or experience in adding batteries to a 26Y that will save me figuring it out?

I don’t have a 26Y, but do have a GH 29W. Here is what I did to gain more battery power for dry camping. I installed two additional group 27 batteries in a box on my rear bumper and maintained the other in its original slide out tray. I have had this for over a year, and can stay out as long as I wish by simply running the generator for two short periods in the morning, for breakfast and at night for dinner. I did it this way because I didn’t want to have to alter any of my storage bins or use expensive battery types. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4182.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	44293
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	44294
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote