Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD615 View Post
I have moved everything ... I'll start posting photos when i get the batteries...so it will be a minute.
I'm watching this thread with interest. Have you received your batteries? Would love to see what you've come up with. Our 2021 24B has the PD 4060K which has the Lithium switch but it looks like when you do that it only outputs 14.6V (no boost or float setting as best I can tell). As a first step I'm considering switching out the stock Lead Acid battery with one or two Lithiums and flipping the switch on the PD 4060K and see how that works.

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed767 View Post

1. We had to use a Sawzall to cut out the battery compartment (step) lips and the battery box (2 battery) holder. The lithium battery I bought directly from China (on Amazon) fit by 1/32 of an inch - very lucky.
What battery did you go with?

Quote:

5. Since I'm up in Oregon and it's October, I'm not able to test the solar panels very well but I did the install myself and can see that they are generating electricity for sure, just nowhere near the 400W nominal. I only expect 300-320W in the summer, with full sun overhead, so getting 100-200W now midday seems fine. The PWM controller is not 100% efficient I've read. I might upgrade to an MMPT controller if it will really provide more power to make it worthwhile.
Where did you install the solar controller? Did you use the pre-installed connections on the roof and wires pre-wired to the compartment next to the propane?

Quote:
Open question: still uncertain about the alternator but I'm at 1100 miles on this trip and it hasn't fried yet - love to hear from others who are not using the current limiter - I saw one other guy on a forum somewhere (perhaps here) not using one as well. Again, the battery manufacturer said it's not needed. But they aren't USA based.
Does the BMS in the battery limit the amount of current draw from the alternator? I'm curious how much current the alternator can provide on a steady basis. Probably depends on the alternator, correct?

Sounds like a great system. Glad it's working out for you.
-Brian

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_HR View Post
I'm watching this thread with interest. Have you received your batteries? Would love to see what you've come up with. Our 2021 24B has the PD 4060K which has the Lithium switch but it looks like when you do that it only outputs 14.6V (no boost or float setting as best I can tell). As a first step I'm considering switching out the stock Lead Acid battery with one or two Lithiums and flipping the switch on the PD 4060K and see how that works.
Hey Brian, Yes I did . I bought the "Big Battery" 12V - 170ah. I also bought a Progressive Dynamics 9100AL (for Lithium) to replace my 9200. It is a plug and play and I won't have to mess with the dongle. I charged the battery with the new charge on my work bench. I wired it to a 1000 watt PS inverter. I used a Victron Wifi shunt to track what was going on. I used my Fluke Meter to double check voltages and a clamp meter to check amps going into the battery. . ….To check discharge I plugged a power strip into the inverter and a 150 watt flood light into the strip. Powered up and waited. It went from 6:30pm to 8 something am. My meter showed 10.5 V as did the battery gauge.The shunt showed 168ah used but, my inverter shut off at 10.5v anyway. So satisfied I stooped there. Yesterday was remove everything from the RV today was try and figure out how to put it back in better. I will post pictures asap.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Hey Brian, Yes I did . I bought the "Big Battery" 12V - 170ah. I also bought a Progressive Dynamics 9100AL (for Lithium) to replace my 9200. It is a plug and play and I won't have to mess with the dongle. I charged the battery with the new charge on my work bench. I wired it to a 1000 watt PS inverter. I used a Victron Wifi shunt to track what was going on. I used my Fluke Meter to double check voltages and a clamp meter to check amps going into the battery. . ….To check discharge I plugged a power strip into the inverter and a 150 watt flood light into the strip. Powered up and waited. It went from 6:30pm to 8 something am. My meter showed 10.5 V as did the battery gauge.The shunt showed 168ah used but, my inverter shut off at 10.5v anyway. So satisfied I stooped there. Yesterday was remove everything from the RV today was try and figure out how to put it back in better. I will post pictures asap.
Yes, please keep us updated! I have a 2019 Redhawk and Ive been struggling with what lithium battery system to install. I was leaning battleborn but the Big Battery looks like a great possibility. I have 10" H under the step and the Big Battery is almost 12" H. Where are you planning on mounting it?
Camp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4life View Post
Yes, please keep us updated! I have a 2019 Redhawk and Ive been struggling with what lithium battery system to install. I was leaning battleborn but the Big Battery looks like a great possibility. I have 10" H under the step and the Big Battery is almost 12" H. Where are you planning on mounting it?
On my 2018 Greyhawk I have, on the drivers side...compartments in this order...1st the generator, 2nd little storage compartment, 3rd the "power bay", 4th the battery, 5th slightly larger compartment where the RV company I purchased from installed a second battery. The inverter was all the way in the back under the bed. Now the inverter, the single lithium battery (room for another), the MPPT solar controller are all together.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
Old 01-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #26

Big Battery Install and other stuff

I promised photos even though I am not through straightening and securing wires. The Mt-50 sitting in front of the battery is a second one I had. I included the instrument cluster I made where the tray and coin holder was. Before everything was all over the dash. Sorry one photo is sideways. Don't know how to fix it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVPsmall size.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	67005

Name:	IMG-3525.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	67006

Name:	IMG-3528.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	67007

Name:	IMG-1780[25812].jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	67008

Name:	IMG-3519[25813].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	67009
Arkansas
Old 01-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #27

Quote:
I have moved everything ... I'll start posting photos when i get the batteries...so it will be a minute.
I just got finished doing all of the above...almost finished and post a reply to Brian...I think I get so lost on here. The pictures are also on my profile pictures with descriptions. Contact me, reply or what ever it takes if you have questions...Peace Richard
Arkansas

Tags
deep cycle batteries, entegra, lithium, odyssey, solar