Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Adding spare tire to Melbourne 29D

My 2011 Melbourne did not come with a spare tire although the space where it used to be is still there. So after a year of wondering what I was going to do if I got a flat, I installed a spare tire hoist with the help of a friend.

You need to add cross-member between the main frame rails to support the tire hoist. You also need to add members for the tire to react against as it is snugged up in place. I used some spare 2.5" x 2.5 structural tubing left over from another project for the hoist and bought 2 @ 1" x 1" angle iron at Sear's for the tire support.

I didn't want the spare tire to become the new low point in the back (got enough of those already), so we worked the design to get the hoist as high as possible.

This is the hole where the spare should be. That angle iron seen on the right needs to be removed.

We side mounted the TECA hoist to the 2.5" x 2.5" tubing. By putting that silver spacer in there, we were able to mount the hoist flush with the top of the tubing.

Here's the TECA #500-100 tire hoist mounted. You can see the angle iron tire supports fore and aft of the hoist.

And here we are with the spare tire mounted. You can see the 3" flat bar side supports for the hoist tubing. You can see the drive tube coming out to the left. A 3/4" socket and ratchet allows you to raise and lower the tire.

Bob in Houston (helper)
Jim (welder and fitter)
Travlr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

That looks like outstanding work! Maybe you can PM me and tell me how I might reach Jim. I've not had much luck finding a welder who is willing to help me fabricate a better hitch mount for my bike rack.

p.s. Welcome to the JOF, Travlr45!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Very professional installation. Great photos.

Thanks for sharing. I've considered installing a hoist for my trailer and moving the spare from the bumper.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

nice work there! looking to do something similar with our greyhawk.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

I had done that with my old trailer for a second spare as we are off roaders.
I noticed my original spare always seemed to loosen up just a bit.
So with the addition I also secured both with rachet straps to keep them from getting loose again, after a few trips I checked and they were still snugged up tight.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #6

As an aside what size tire is that you are using.
I would like to add a spare mount to my Seneca.
It has 245/70/R19.5 tires.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

I just looked. My new to me 2009 29D Melbourne came with a spare
Grumpy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadnkev View Post
The 29D has 16" rims; the OD of the tire was 28". The rails are 42" on centers w/ 3" flanges so the clear distance is 36". You R19.5 tires may be a tight fit.

Bob in Houston
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

Looks great! Just a question about the welding, did you have to remove the bulbs in the rv, or disconnect the battery before you welded this up? Just wondering if that is necessary. Thanks!
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Looks great! Just a question about the welding, did you have to remove the bulbs in the rv, or disconnect the battery before you welded this up? Just wondering if that is necessary. Thanks!

Hmmm, never even though of that. We just welded away with no problems. Disconnecting the house batteries would have been a b*tch!

Bob in Houston.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

Good to know, I am going to try this on my Greyhawk this weekend! Thanks for posting the great pictures!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #12

Had to modify the design a bit for the Greyhawk but it does work well, thanks again for the inspiration!
Here are my pics:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...8464#post98464
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

Good work there cy! Where did you order the winch?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #14

Thanks! I ordered directly from TECA - http://tecaassembly.com/
My wheels are 16" so I went with the 500-100 RV Winch Assy and a 21" Actuator tube that I had to shorten about 1/2" so I can get my wrench in between the bumper and the coach.
Very good folks to work with, they will invoice you after you receive the parts.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
You can do a similar install for your R19.5 Seneca wheels. Here is the install I did on our Embark with R22.5's last spring.
SooBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #16

Tire size

Quote:
They are the Michelin LTX 225/75 R16 original equipment tires.

Bob in Houston
Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr45 View Post
My 2011 Melbourne did not come with a spare tire although the space where it used to be is still there. So after a year of wondering what I was going to do if I got a flat, I installed a spare tire hoist with the help of a friend.

You need to add cross-member between the main frame rails to support the tire hoist. You also need to add members for the tire to react against as it is snugged up in place. I used some spare 2.5" x 2.5 structural tubing left over from another project for the hoist and bought 2 @ 1" x 1" angle iron at Sear's for the tire support.

I didn't want the spare tire to become the new low point in the back (got enough of those already), so we worked the design to get the hoist as high as possible.

This is the hole where the spare should be. That angle iron seen on the right needs to be removed.

We side mounted the TECA hoist to the 2.5" x 2.5" tubing. By putting that silver spacer in there, we were able to mount the hoist flush with the top of the tubing.

Here's the TECA #500-100 tire hoist mounted. You can see the angle iron tire supports fore and aft of the hoist.

And here we are with the spare tire mounted. You can see the 3" flat bar side supports for the hoist tubing. You can see the drive tube coming out to the left. A 3/4" socket and ratchet allows you to raise and lower the tire.

Bob in Houston (helper)
Jim (welder and fitter)
I'm getting ready to have a welding shop do this for me. Is this the tire hoist setup you bought if so how much was it?

http://www.tecaassembly.com/rv.html
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #18

It's a TECA with the drive tube. Didn't need the heavy duty lifting bar; the short crossbar works fine. Probably $65 to $70 bucks. Link: http://www.tecaassembly.com/rv.html. Troy might not be selling directly from this site but you will know what to search for now.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr45 View Post
It's a TECA with the drive tube. Didn't need the heavy duty lifting bar; the short crossbar works fine. Probably $65 to $70 bucks. Link: http://www.tecaassembly.com/rv.html. Troy might not be selling directly from this site but you will know what to search for now.
Thanks for the info, I have the Greyhawk so I'm thinking I need to go with cyclops setup, both are very well done.

FYI...Ford wants $268.00 for their spare tire hoist.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote