Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Adjustable channel mount needed?

All,

I'm looking at purchasing a Acme tow dolly to pull a Honda Odyssey behind a Greyhawk. Does anyone use an adjustable hitch to lower the mount?
Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6
If so, how far down do you go? I suppose I could just go with an adjustable, but a specific drop would be cheaper and perhaps I don't even need any drop which would be even cheaper.

Thanks-
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #2

Adjustable channel mount needed?

I use a fixed 8 inch drop on my Seneca with the acme car dolly I could go another 2 inches and it would be ideal. I have scraped the hitch so not sure if I will go lower but the car would load a little easier if I did. The issue with adjustable is they require much more material under the ball and can drag when turning up hill. The fixed drop only has about 1 inch under the hitch. If you look at the one mentioned it looks like 3-4 inches below the ball. My hitch mount is about 22 inches so 8 inch drop provides ball at about 14-15 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #3

I have an '05 Granite ridge, an 8" drop hitch works great with my Acme tow dolly.
The best part is they are available from Harbor Freight and Walmart . Can't imagine using any more of a drop, have scraped a few times with the 8".
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

I put a 2' fixed drop on my 2016 Greyhawk, and bottomed out a number of times. I have since removed it.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. From the guide the bottom of the hitch should be 14-16" from the ground, the higher the better to prevent hitting the ground on slopes as mentioned. I didn't think about the adjustable being lower and causing it to hit more often, good tip there. I'll just have to stop by the dealership and measure the height of the channel hitch to see how close it is to the ground. Perhaps take an inch off the lot Greyhawk assuming mine would be lower due to it loaded down with people/gas/cargo.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Thanks for the feedback. From the guide the bottom of the hitch should be 14-16" from the ground, the higher the better to prevent hitting the ground on slopes as mentioned. I didn't think about the adjustable being lower and causing it to hit more often, good tip there. I'll just have to stop by the dealership and measure the height of the channel hitch to see how close it is to the ground. Perhaps take an inch off the lot Greyhawk assuming mine would be lower due to it loaded down with people/gas/cargo.
My hitch sits at 18". Like you said, mine was higher before I loaded it all up. Mine was about 20" before I loaded it up.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote