Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #1

Advice Requested -2013 Seneca purchase

Hi all!

My wife and I are going to look at a 2013 Seneca tomorrow afternoon. We are first time RV purchasers and are kinda in the dark as to what issues to look out for and what specific options to the 2013 model year that should be on our radar.

So far I’ve gathered that the Freightliner airliner suspension could possibly be missing if it was an early 2013 build - is there any way to easily see if the coach is equipped with air suspension or do I need to look underneath and locate airbags?

Also, did all 2013s come with auto levelers and turn signal / back up cameras?

Appreciate a heads up on any red flag items to be on the lookout for - it’s a low mile coach with 20k on the clock.
JUTTERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

Here's a link to the specs, standards and options. Scroll down below the floorplans. You can also download the Brochure.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2013-seneca-cm/
Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy - lookalike the side view and rear cameras were part of a customer option pack that included a touchscreen on the dash.

Sorry about the quality of the picture but I’m I right in assuming this coach does not have the touch screen camera pack?
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUTTERB View Post
Thanks Grumpy - lookalike the side view and rear cameras were part of a customer option pack that included a touchscreen on the dash.

Sorry about the quality of the picture but I’m I right in assuming this coach does not have the touch screen camera pack?
Can't answer that, just sent you the info that I knew was available from JAYCO. Hopefully a SENECA owner will chime in.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

I can't say what is or isn't on the 2013 Seneca or provide info on the backup camera. I will recommend that with a 2013 one of the first things you should check are the DOT codes for the tires and specifically the date of manufacture. It is possible that the tires could be at the end of their useful life and that could be an expensive item right out of the chute. I would also check to see when the batteries were manufactured if there are stickers on the batteries.

If this is the one that is in RV Trader that is in Broomfield Co it looks like it has the side view camera in the pictures. It doesn't show a rear shot or a shot of the interior so not 100 percent certain.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the heads up on tires and batteries - and yes, it is the coach in Broomfield. Just ballpark, but what should I expect to pay for a new set of tires installed?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on tires and batteries - and yes, it is the coach in Broomfield. Just ballpark, but what should I expect to pay for a new set of tires installed?
A new set of tires installed could run between 3 and 4K depending on the tires and any discounts you may be able to negotiate. For Michelin XZE tires you would be looking at about 600 - 650 per tire not counting mounting, balancing and installation.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #8

Slowpoke recently replaced his tires and you should be able to find his post on here.

Batteries both the house and chassis. Unless they are brand new you should plan on having to replace them.

Inspect all seals and caulking especially the picture frames around the slides.

If possible get an inspection done at a freightliner service center. They can inspect the brakes, test def , test batteries etc.

Review the maintenance logs be sure that the service was done on a time basis not on mileage. Typically with that milage there would have been only a couple of oil changes but really should have been done much more frequently.

Best wishes on your investigation and possible purchase. They are fun to drive and use.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #9

With as many systems and parts to look at while evaluating a used RV, it might be worth hiring a professional RV inspector when you get serious about a particular RV, especially if it comes with no warranty. There are many things that go wrong with normal use. Good luck.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #10

Thanks guys - I’ll start searching for professional inspectors and keep an eye out for seals / batteries and tires!
Old 07-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #11

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Slowpoke recently replaced his tires and you should be able to find his post on here.

Batteries both the house and chassis. Unless they are brand new you should plan on having to replace them.

Inspect all seals and caulking especially the picture frames around the slides.

If possible get an inspection done at a freightliner service center. They can inspect the brakes, test def , test batteries etc.

Review the maintenance logs be sure that the service was done on a time basis not on mileage. Typically with that milage there would have been only a couple of oil changes but really should have been done much more frequently.

Best wishes on your investigation and possible purchase. They are fun to drive and use.
X2 on Maintenance Logs. Not sure from your post if you have owned an RV before. If not some common things to also check. Get on the roof and check both the front and rear cap seams and all "thru hulls" for cracks and proper seal. Slide seams and gaskets. GCheck the generator hours meter. Remember very low hours is not necessarily a good thing. Onan recommends 2 hours a month @ 50% load. Again if you can find a professional inspector it will be money well spent. Personally if no maintenance records I would be very nervous. Good Luck
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

Thanks - Ill work on getting a professional To inspect and push for maintenance logs.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #13

Here's the link to SloPoke's thread on tire replacement.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...res-73455.html
Old 07-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #14

I looked up the ad on RV-Trader:

Single Owner Super Class C Motorhome with Bunks! Used approximately 10 trips since new and always garage stored. 340hp Cummins Diesel engine and generator. Recently serviced and newer batteries. Auto-leveling jacks. 5 tvs. Ready to hit the road!! For floorplan and stock photos visit: https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2013-seneca-cm/ Make sure to look at 37FS specs and pics
__________________________________________________ ____

One thing that strikes me: garage stored... That means a lot.

I would have them show you how everything works - On shore power and off Shore power. The seller claims to have the service up to date - ask to see the paperwork, or a CarFax that shows service records.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #15

Thanks SloPoke! I must’ve looked at so many ads this week I missed the classified ad detail about service records and updated batteries.

I contacted a mobile rv mechanic and they are available later this month to fit me in so if the initial showing goes well we will have a pro take a closer look at the systems.

Thank you to everyone who responded - we certainly appreciate the assist and are excited about becoming part of the RV community. We go look at the rig here this afternoon - hopefully it checks all the boxes and has a clean bill of health.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #16

Checked out the coach today - everything seemed to be working that we tried - all lights, generator, had just been serviced at Transwest and has service history there since new. Batteries have just been replaced and paint is good but by no means perfect.

Slide out rubber and seams look brand new and close flush.

Contacted a mobile RV mechanic to do a PPI but they aren’t available until the week after next so who knows if the coach will still be available.

For any Seneca owners who’ve watched the market is 122k a pretty Fair deal for a coach of this year / mileage? NADA average retail is right at 122.....
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Checked out the coach today - everything seemed to be working that we tried - all lights, generator, had just been serviced at Transwest and has service history there since new. Batteries have just been replaced and paint is good but by no means perfect.

Slide out rubber and seams look brand new and close flush.

Contacted a mobile RV mechanic to do a PPI but they aren’t available until the week after next so who knows if the coach will still be available.

For any Seneca owners who’ve watched the market is 122k a pretty Fair deal for a coach of this year / mileage? NADA average retail is right at 122.....
Just an FYI;
If you are doing a loan I would talk to the bank first since my dealer has said that banks normally don't loan on avg retail for used, but avg wholesale. That would affect how much you need as a down payment.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Thanks all for the help - we’re officially proud owners of that 2013 Seneca. We’re super excited - our first rig and damn that thing is big!
Old 07-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #19

Congrats! Glad it worked out. I think a Seneca would be my choice for the next camper. Gotta get all the young kids through college first lol...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #20

Congrats. Happy travels.