Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2022, 09:56 PM   #1

Post Aftermarket engine gauge recommendations

I am wanting to purchase an OBDII supplemental gauge display to get real-time accurate feedback on the 7.3 gas engine and transmission. Assuming I'll want coolant temp, transmission fluid temp and either oil temp or pressure. Any suggestions on what I may be overlooking here? If you have a set-up you like, whose is it??

Thanks, Rick
Sophie's Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #2

Here is a thread I started about using an OBD Fusion. I still use this and it works very well. The only thing I could not get it to display is the Oil Pressure. This is setup on a V10. With the newer engine you have, it could be different.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ges-87077.html
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:30 PM   #3

I use a Scangauge II and love it. It plugs into the OBDII port and has about 20 different readings to pick from or toggle through. I generally have it set to show ECT, Boost, TFT and EOT. My rig has the “other” 7.3 motor but I believe the SG II is compatible with most any OBD II connections. I think it’s s bargain — got mine for less than $150. https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #4

I'm just curious why you would want that information on a stock engine?
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

Welcome Aboard!

Your limitations are the sensors Ford did or did not install on your 7.3L engine.

I am using a BAFX wireless transmitter, based on a recommendation of a coworker. It works great, in conjunction with my android phone and tablet. I use the Torque Pro App. I have both the free and paid version of the app. Both are great apps, and you can do a lot more with then what the average person would need. For most people you do not need the purchased version.

Mine lives in my TV, but I have used it many times checking issues on my kid's cars, friends and, coworker's vehicles.

Foglight; It is a very handy tool. Besides helping when/if you have warning lights. You can see a lot more information than what a stock display indicates. For example, my TV has just a few analog displays, and they are just the basic items on the dash. With this tool, I am able to read actual coolant temps, actual oil temps, actual transmission temperatures (I actually cannot do this one as my TV does not have a tranny temp sensor, but it is the main reason I purchased the reader). I have few different gauge configurations screens. It is very rare, I have the app open when I am traveling.

Last summer when I lost two injectors on July 3rd, in 105+ degree temps, in the middle of nowhere Minnesota with no cell coverage. Besides telling me what the warning light was for, it isolated the issue to which cylinders where having the issue. It could not tell me what part(s) I needed, but with some internet searches a few phone calls, I was able to determine the required repairs. None of the shops in the area could get the required parts. I was able to determined I could I safely drive home with the issues. During the injector issue, I setup a screen with RPM, Acceleration, Throttle position, Speed, Coolant temp and voltage. This way I could determine if I was loosing the injector during a particular activity. I was also able to turn on data collection for more sensors in the background to track what was happening while I limped to our campsite 30 miles away. As noted we could not get enough parts where we were at. I picked up one injector, one coil, and a 10mm socket (only tool needed) and we carefully worked our way home on our next two legs of our trip without changing parts. I knew I had two cylinders misfiring but did not know which one was worse. With the scan tool I determined I was misfiring under heavy acceleration, and when the engine temp was elevated (above 219 degrees). On the drive towards home I kept my speed down, no heavy acceleration, if my engine temp reached 217 degrees, I just slowed down a bit. Made it home with no issues. Luckily the closer we got to home the air temperatures decreased, and the terrain was less hilly.

It is a handy tool, but with any tool, if you do not know how to use it, it is nothing more than a paperweight.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

I have the Veepeak II and OBD fusion software. Think total it was under $50

Love it

Hundreds of optional Guages

Love engine temp, torque, etc

The mpg Guages are fantastic.no more using a calculator to figure out my milage

Bluetooth to yer phone, I use a Tablet I set on the Dash..love it
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

BlueFire Maybe

Hello,

Still researching but I found this thread from the Seneca people. Looks very interesting.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post857685

There is an adapter for OBDII https://bluefire-llc.com/store/frequ...sked-questions

Although, looking at the previous posts they all seem much more affordable.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Here is a thread I started about using an OBD Fusion. I still use this and it works very well. The only thing I could not get it to display is the Oil Pressure. This is setup on a V10. With the newer engine you have, it could be different.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ges-87077.html
I use this same setup Tom has and love it. I have had our RV for over 5 years now. The first 4 years without the extra gauges. This last year I have had these setup on a mini iPad that I have on a mount by my dash. Works great!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:02 AM   #9

I have two or three cheapie eBay readers, one BT one wired. While they work, they don't work well.

I just picked up a Vgate VLinker reader for the Ford and tried the free "Forscan" software. I only got to play with it for an hour, but I liked what it was able to see. A lot more than what an cheap OBD2 adapter was able to.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:58 AM   #10

Does anyone remember where someone posted all the PIDs for our 450 V10 fords? I must be getting old.... Ted
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #11

OBDII gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
I'm just curious why you would want that information on a stock engine?
Our previous set-up was a 5th-wheel pulled by a diesel, 6.0. The factory gauges are deceptive .. they are basically 2-position displays, normal and problem. Twice we had roadside breakdowns with no warning .. the gauges simply went to overheat-condition. Fool me once ($8000), fool me twice (+$6000) no thanks. So we took a loss on the set-up and now are Class C enthusiasts. But its still a Ford dashboard display (7.3 gas) and I simply don't trust it to warn me in times of trouble.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #12

Our previous set-up was a 5th-wheel pulled by a diesel, 6.0. The factory gauges are deceptive .. they are basically 2-position displays, normal and problem. Twice we had roadside breakdowns with no warning .. the gauges simply went to overheat-condition. Fool me once ($8000), fool me twice (+$6000) no thanks. So we took a loss on the set-up and now are Class C enthusiasts. But its still a Ford dashboard display (7.3 gas) and I simply don't trust it to warn me in times of trouble
Old 01-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #13

RV Magazine has an excellent article on OBD-II gauges...both hard wired and blue tooth. It's in the current issue...perhaps on newsstands now if you are not a subscriber.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #14

I also use the Veepeak and ODB Fusion combo and love it. I did purchase the additional F-53 specific monitors (about $10 in-app purchase) to cover a few things not included in the basic generic package.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie's Folks View Post
Our previous set-up was a 5th-wheel pulled by a diesel, 6.0. The factory gauges are deceptive .. they are basically 2-position displays, normal and problem. Twice we had roadside breakdowns with no warning .. the gauges simply went to overheat-condition. Fool me once ($8000), fool me twice (+$6000) no thanks. So we took a loss on the set-up and now are Class C enthusiasts. But its still a Ford dashboard display (7.3 gas) and I simply don't trust it to warn me in times of trouble.
The 6L diesel had a LOT of problems, mostly with the EGR cooler which caused all sorts of issues including engine failure.

I'm just not sure what you are going to be monitoring on the gas engine other than coolant temp (which is definitely not a 2 position switch) to somehow warn you of an impending issue.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote