Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #1

Air jacks

I have been looking at those pillow type air jacks.
They are on the end of a handle and are pushed under the vehicle then inflated,
My question is, "will this type of jack life my 30 foot Class C to change a tire?
Currently, I need to crawl under the vehicle and attempt to pump up a bottle jack, which is difficult. Especially, laying on the concrete in the Mohave Desert in 100 plus degree weather. Of course it always blows a tire on the sunny side.
I carry an air compressor on the Vehicle.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:10 PM   #2

I wouldn't trust the air pillow jacks. In fact, even with a bottle jack rated at 8 tons, I would still put the wheel underneath the frame in case if it ever gives out or topple over.

This reminds me to get that attachment for my bottle jack that cradles axle rather than the just using that 1" diameter point of contact.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I wouldn't trust the air pillow jacks. In fact, even with a bottle jack rated at 8 tons, I would still put the wheel underneath the frame in case if it ever gives out or topple over.

This reminds me to get that attachment for my bottle jack that cradles axle rather than the just using that 1" diameter point of contact.
Thanks for the reply.
I always push the spare under the truck before jacking it up plus i have a set of jack stands that i adjust up as i jack the truck.

I want something so i don't have to get under the vehicle any more. Even if the air jacks would work, I would still use the jack stands as a back up.
Our last trip out, i blew two on the same side at once. Made life difficult. I was just exiting the off ramp to the Mohave salt flats when they blew. It was over 110 and the concrete was frying hot.
My wife kept wiping my face down with a wet cold towel as i worked.
Had to drag throw rugs out of the RV to lay on.

I see the advertisements for those air lifts but not being used on anything a heavy as my RV. I thought that maybe someone on here had some experience with them.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #4

Why not an air over hydraulic bottle jack. You will still need to lay down to place it, but that's it. Maybe you could rig up some sort of handle to push it under and set it. This is a 20 ton from Harbor Freight. Had one for our SENECA.
Attached Thumbnails
jack.jpg