Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Glad you found a solution. Just remember that when you check or add air to support the stem with your other hand as the long stems create a lever that can ultimately fail the gasket ehre the stem attaches to the wheel. This is another reason to run TPMS as it eliminates the need to push on the stem every travel day as you can learn your inflation by simply turning on the TPMS monitor.

Thanks. TPMS is next but I will do it for the coach and the toad so I am saving my bucks. I just worked my AMEX card over with base plate, tow bar and braking system. It needs a rest

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tockert View Post
When we had to have a out dual fixed, the tire guy failed to reinstall the extension. I bought some on Amazon when I ordered the Tire Minder system so I would have have to try and fit my fat hand into the inner air stem.
That flat that had to be fixed is what forced me to buy the tire minder system, as it is hard to see if that inner tire is flat or inflated correctly.
Now I can check pressure on the TM system, and also monitor my trailer tires when towing it.
I am not able to see the trailer tires in my mirrors when towing it, so again it is piece of mind.

Todd
X2 on the TireMinder TPMS, it is great to have the DW do the tire pressure check from the co-pilot seat.

And BTW, many tire service companies REFUSE to re-install the extensions due to the likelihood they will leak -vs- the stem and cap that they install with the tire. I had extensions on the old MH back in the day, had to put air in the rears almost every month and rarely in the fronts.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Thanks. TPMS is next but I will do it for the coach and the toad so I am saving my bucks. I just worked my AMEX card over with base plate, tow bar and braking system. It needs a rest

I understand. RE TPMS I bought TireTraker. I like their lifetime warranty. You might also consider getting their 4 sensor system to start then add additional sensors as your credit card allows.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #24
CAG

Quote:
as your credit card allows.
That is the problem with AMEX it will let me charge as much as I want. It's just paying for it at the end of the month that becomes the issue.

I will look at that one.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What kind of tow system did you get and who installed it on your toad? I'll be looking to get a tow system soon.

Tks.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
What kind of tow system did you get and who installed it on your toad? I'll be looking to get a tow system soon.

Tks.
I am still working on install of various parts of this system but after several weeks of research which included calls to Roadmaster and others I decided on the Roadmaster 521453-5 base plate. The 521450-5 has a crossbar, and while I looked at that one I did not like the crossbar and the 53-5 presented a cleaner look when installed in the Jeep and the 50-5 is being discontinued anyway. I decided on the Roadmaster Nighthawk 676 which is what Roadmaster recommends for the 53-5.

The braking system became a bigger headache, at least for me, because I wanted a clean look in the Jeep, without drilling holes in my floorboard, and something I did not have to take in and out every time I set up. I went with the SMI Stay and Play Duo. Once installed it is a simple flip of a switch to activate and there is no bar attached to a plate in the floorboard to install and remove with each tow or holes in my floorboard

What I can install myself I am doing but my days of shade tree mechanic mostly ended the last few years with more and more sophisticated computer controlled vehicles. The 2019 and up Wrangler Sahara have some major changes from the 2018 and down. Even the turn signal/brake light setup became an issue and I am having my favorite shop do that along with the brake system install.

Even finding room in the engine compartment for the brake control box is going to be an issue but I want it there if possible rather than under the driver's seat. Jeep's engine compartment is just loaded with "stuff".

At least I can still change my own oil. That gives me some feeling of power over these electronic vehicles!