Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Airing tires

Is there a secret to airing the tires on the Jayco 29 mv gray hawk. I have bought an air connection that locks on the stem but it will only let the air out, maybe it’s just me I don’t know! It’s worse with the extenders. Please give me an idea of how to accomplish that gentlemen. I am a female so maybe that’s the problem. Am really frustrated! Thanks in advance
Bojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

Try one of these instead. I've never used one that "locks" on, but sometimes you have to move or wiggle the tire chuck a bit to get it to put air into one of those tires/stems.

https://www.autozone.com/air-tools-a...uck/977896_0_0
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #3

I purchased a 12 inch dual head chuck, similar to the picture in the previous post, but it is twice as long, and cost around $12-$15. The longer chuck seems to give me a better hand-hold when airing the tires. The front tires shouldn't give you any issues, but the rear tires can be a pain. You go straight on for the inside tire but for the outside tire you have to go inside the opening then pull the chuck back toward you to get it seated. I removed the extensions on mine after I found one leaking, which caused an inside tire to go flat (fortunately it was discovered during my pre-trip check). I always use a small flashlight when airing so I can see exactly where the valve stems are and to make sure I'm going on straight. Also, make sure the compressor you are using can produce at least 80 pounds or the tires won't fill. Not a fun job, but one that has to be done regularly.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I purchased a 12 inch dual head chuck, similar to the picture in the previous post, but it is twice as long, and cost around $12-$15. The longer chuck seems to give me a better hand-hold when airing the tires. The front tires shouldn't give you any issues, but the rear tires can be a pain. You go straight on for the inside tire but for the outside tire you have to go inside the opening then pull the chuck back toward you to get it seated. I removed the extensions on mine after I found one leaking, which caused an inside tire to go flat (fortunately it was discovered during my pre-trip check). I always use a small flashlight when airing so I can see exactly where the valve stems are and to make sure I'm going on straight. Also, make sure the compressor you are using can produce at least 80 pounds or the tires won't fill. Not a fun job, but one that has to be done regularly.
Thank you so much, I will check on the long air chuck. My neighbor came down & got them aired up, think I need extra strength to hold it tight. Thank you again!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #5

Thank you, I discovered that just think I wasn’t strong enough but thanks to my kind neighbor we got them going!