Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Alaska

Does anyone have any good advice for me and my Seneca traveling to Alaska? Be leaving from Georgia area ina couple of weeks.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Other than heading north west not much I can help with.

Oh, don't take any guns if you happen to be into that. Can't carry them thru Canada (long guns you can with correct paperwork).
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

Thanks. Got the paper work! Wouldn’t leave home without one.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

Alaska

This sounds like a great trip.

Buy the Milepost. It is worth whatever they are charging for it now. I drove to Fairbanks from Boston to Alaska in 1987 and all my friends are tired of hearing my stories. The milepost really tells you about the high way and expected services. Fuel up as you can, there are few long stretches but normally services are available on regular basis. Leaving from Georgia the Tetons, Yellowstone glacier national park are all possible. Even the badlands and black hills can be routed in. In Canada , Calgary, banff, jasper are great stops. Liard hot spring great place to unwind.

It took me three months and I could have taken more time amazing beautiful continent we live on.

Are you bringing a spare tire.? This would probably be the one place that I would get and carry a spare. I would not want to sit for a week on the side of the road waiting for specific tire to arrive.

Best wishes for a great trip.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

that's on my bucket list. Can't wait to hear how it all goes! Safe and amazing travels!
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Thanks RVermont , going to take your advice with the spare tire, put in the rear of my JK toad. I have visited most places in the lower 48. We live in a awesome country!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

We are flying to Anchorage in 2 weeks and then traveling by MH for the next 2 weeks. This is DW's and I 3 trip in Alaska. This time we are taking the entire family which includes one of DW's sisters, our 3 kids, and 9 grands. Rented 4 MH's out of ABC rentals in Anchorage.

Probably the biggest negative to what you are doing is that once you have done your thing in AK, you are facing a 5k+ mile drive home. That's ok but in our case the focus is on seeing Alaska not the drive to get there. Like others have said, no guns [long gun with permit] into Canada. I will be flying with an appropriate revolver in my check bag. In Ak you can boondock anywhere as long as you are not blocking traffic and on private property you get permission first. We will probably spend 80% of our nites at highway pull-outs. Only reservation is at Denali NP. Campsites there are limited so recommend getting reservations. We will be passing thru but not stopping in the Fairbanks area. Nothing there to justify a stop. If you're brave I strongly recommend the Denali hwy between Cantwell and Paxton. Over 100 miles mostly on sort of maintained 2 lane gravel road. Many gravel pits along the drive that are good for overnites. When you see a gas station, STOP and fill up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #10

Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post
Thanks. Got the paper work! Wouldn’t leave home without one.
The prohibited weapons is the big question to get past. Covers a number of items. We get asked that one & how much alcohol when we return to Canada. If you want a handgun in AK then you have to ship it via gun shops as far as I know. Definitely can't drive over the border with one.

Unless you are feeding the bears or part of a drug gang then you don't need one in Canada anyway.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
We are flying to Anchorage in 2 weeks and then traveling by MH for the next 2 weeks. This is DW's and I 3 trip in Alaska. This time we are taking the entire family which includes one of DW's sisters, our 3 kids, and 9 grands. Rented 4 MH's out of ABC rentals in Anchorage.

Probably the biggest negative to what you are doing is that once you have done your thing in AK, you are facing a 5k+ mile drive home. That's ok but in our case the focus is on seeing Alaska not the drive to get there. Like others have said, no guns [long gun with permit] into Canada. I will be flying with an appropriate revolver in my check bag. In Ak you can boondock anywhere as long as you are not blocking traffic and on private property you get permission first. We will probably spend 80% of our nites at highway pull-outs. Only reservation is at Denali NP. Campsites there are limited so recommend getting reservations. We will be passing thru but not stopping in the Fairbanks area. Nothing there to justify a stop. If you're brave I strongly recommend the Denali hwy between Cantwell and Paxton. Over 100 miles mostly on sort of maintained 2 lane gravel road. Many gravel pits along the drive that are good for overnites. When you see a gas station, STOP and fill up.
Bassdogs,

Did you stop at that little trailerpark looking store on that road between Cantwell and Paxton? They sell a apple pie there the grandmother makes. I swear it is the best apple pie I have ever ate!

I'm trying to get someone to go with me up there again to ride our honda pioneer side by sides. There is like a million miles of ATV trails up there.

Alan
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #13

I'm not sure about needing a weapon on the trip, but you sure need some mosquito repellent. That's the state bird up there, especially in the interior.

Be prepared for anything on your RV that is lose to come unattached. I've seen cabinetry come lose from the walls from the beating and banging on the roads up there.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #14

To ease you going through US customs, make sure you have either passports or enhanced driver's license. Makes things easier with Homeland Security (retired from there). Also if traveling with dogs or cats, make sure you have proof of current rabies vaccines. Check out this site"

Things Required to Get Back Into the US From Canada | USA Today

You should check out these sites to see what can go into Canada:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-can-i...canada-1481670

https://www.northernontario.travel/s...ng-into-canada

And here is for US Customs. Remember, you will be entering the US at least twice, once as you go into Alaska and when you return to the lower 48.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...stricted-items

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/video-g...ry/know-you-go

And if you have had a DUI or outstanding tickets in either the US or Canada, be aware they very well may turn you around. The Canadians really believe is enforcement of DUI rules. I've seen people with a group or on a bus walk back to the US side after being denied entry (everyone else was continued on with their trip). They'll sometimes let someone post a bond if it was a few years, but they aren't like US courts, they really mean business. And yes, when they run your DL, it will show up. They have access to the same data base US customs and law enforcement use. Best suggestion, if they ask, they already know if you have had a DUI or not, so be honest. And don't think about having one for the road and then driving. Her Majesty's Prisons are not overly comfortable.

Remember, answer all questions asked truthfully, be friendly. Border inspectors are doing their jobs and have heard all the excuses before. They want to get you through as quickly as possible, but also will be doing their jobs.

As for currency, stop at a bank once you cross and get some Canadian currency. You may plan on using your credit cards (check to see if they charge a foreign transaction fee, normally around 3% for each transaction). Exchange rates at businesses up (and down) the highway can vary at each business. These folks can give you a much lower exchange or even par as cost of doing business with foreign (US) currency. Plus they appreciate your making the effort.

I've lived in Alaska, driven the highway more than a dozen times and never had an issue. Fuel is available. Last trip, with the exception of work areas, the road is paved. The folks are friendly.

Enjoy the trip, don't drive and over extend yourself, watch out for animals, give large trucks room, and stop to enjoy the scenery. Last time we stopped to camp in the Yukon, they were primitive (no electric, water at a pump and outhouses) but they had firewood and were free. Also be aware of the fire danger as you travel, don't be the cause.

And spend a day at Whitehorse, Yukon. Took the riverboat, have a meal, take in the history.

Enjoy the trip. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I and others will try to go give you straight answers.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #15

Gosh thanks ifallsguy: I have got the Canadian forms to have a long gun and I have no bad background record, should I expect any problem with bringing the shotgun? And thank you for all the good info you posted. I will definitely take your info into consideration!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post
Gosh thanks ifallsguy: I have got the Canadian forms to have a long gun and I have no bad background record, should I expect any problem with bringing the shotgun? And thank you for all the good info you posted. I will definitely take your info into consideration!
Honestly, I don't recall any issues with shotguns. Just declare it when you go into Canada. They may ask where you plan on crossing back in the US. That would be Alcan Border, if you use the Alaska Highway.

I would also suggest you check in with US customs prior to entering Canada. You want to declare you are taking in a long gun, shot gun, plus have the serial numbers of any high value electronics (computer, TV, cameras) with you. Customs should be able to verify and give you documentation for proof of your owning them in the states prior to crossing back into the US. The same paperwork would be helpful if requested by Canadian Border Services (CBS).

If things haven't changed, you will asked if you are bringing any guns into the US at Alcan Border and probably when you cross back into the lower 48. The paperwork should ease that, though they might request to see the guns.

I would make sure ammunition is not immediately near the weapons, they are unloaded and the bolts removed from the guns (but in the cases) prior to crossing into Canada. I used to work up in International Falls, MN. People I knew would break them down. It seemed to speed things up when the weapons were inspected. When we first moved to Alaska, CBS did place a seal on my rifle case and told me to stop at CBS just prior to crossing into Alaska. At that point, they just wanted to verify the weapon was with me and still sealed. FYI, the border station is something like 10 miles SE from the US border. US customs is right at the border.

One other thing, don't call it the AlCan while in the great white north. Canadians can take insult. As they put it, they are 'not someone's can'.

Remember in Canada they are metric so 60MPH is about 120KPH. And you might want to carry a calculator since fuel is sold by the liter (3.8 liters to US gallon). RCMP does patrol the road, though I rarely saw speed traps. They are also very helpful if you near roadside assistance.

As someone mentioned, get a copy of The Milepost. Very helpful and they try to keep it current.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #17

Definitely purchase a Milepost, highlighter marker. We went in 2015, in a caravan of 3 rv’s. My wife followed our drive in the milepost, read the history to me as traveling, warned me about 1 or 2 flag bumps, etc.

There is also a coupon book/app you can get AlaskaTours. Check it out on TripAdvisor you can get the book for $69.95 now. It takes some preplanning to make reservations ahead, but saves you a lot of $$$.

We liked Homer the best. When there go to the Salty Dog, have a duck fart (drink), go to the winery, have some samples, then be sure and eat at Captain Patty’s Seafood. The seafood chowder is fantastic, so much so we ate there 3 times, in 3 days.

There is a place in Fairbanks called Pioneer Park, they have a Salmon, buffet that is awesome, kind of expensive, but worth it. We hit every farmers market we could find.

Enjoy your trip!
MO Farmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #18

Thanks Mo farmer for all the great advice, we are planing on staying a few days in Homer. Maybe this old worn out GA farmer can consume some of the great food Ak has to offer .
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #19

Couple more things, handguns cannot be brought into Canada. Also I've seen US citizens who declare a handgun entering the US held by Customs. Since you cannot have a handgun in Canada, then you are bringing an illegal gun into the US. If you must have it, ship it to a gun smith in AK. You don't need it. With the exceptions of moving to and back from Alaska, I've never seen a need for a firearm on the highway.

Second, make sure you double check your insurance coverage. It should be good in Canada, but talk to your agent. You don't want to find out you have no coverage if you need it.

Make sure all your vehicle documents are in order: registration, insurance paperwork, license plates won't expire while traveling (could become an issue if in accident, stopped for speeding or at the border). Know you license plate number, or at least have it handy.

I do recommend locking your vehicle and TT if someone isn't staying with the units. Just like at home, you don't want to invite someone in. Never had an issue myself, but I always lock them up, even when just going in to pay for fuel.

One stop you need to make is at Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park. Campground and hot springs. Really great after a long day on the highway.

Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park - BC Parks

Most of the video was shot at around the park. The facilities to and at the hot springs is upgraded since I last stopped there.

More information is at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liard_...itish_Columbia

Also the bridge over Laird River has an interesting history. The Lower Liard River Bridge is also unique because much of the materials used to build it came from steel salvaged from the historic Tacoma Narrows Bridge. (This bridge became famous when it collapsed in 1940 due to faulty engineering that fatally intensified the bridge’s normal sway.) Using salvaged material for steel structures was common during wartime as a way to overcome shortages and reduce costs.

Lower Liard River Bridge Our Alaska Highway

And if you want to check out this site for information on the Tacoma Narrow Bridge, better known as Galloping Gertie. And this bridge is very safe.

This video can be a bit unnerving.

Lots of history on the highway. I'll post more later.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #20

One area that is often overlooked is the Alaskan state ferry system. There is a great ferry service that runs down coast from Whittier to Bellingham Wa. You can go whole hog and move your rig, toad and family from Skagway to the lower 48. ( at a substantial cost) or you can leave the rig somewhere and take a boat to homer, dutch harbor way to the west, or down the inland passage to Juneau and katchikan. The inner passage is one of the most beautiful water ways in the world, more whales and Bald Eagles than you can imagine.
Some ships have cabins that you can rent to make the longer trips more enjoyable. It is a working ship so arrival and departure times can be at off hours.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote