Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #21

Alaska

Best trip ever spent 3 months. No problems if you take your time. Up the Alcan Highway and back the Kazior Highway. Took the top of the world highway north of Whitehorse, spent the 2nd night in Chicken. 2 months in Alaska fishing, just a great trip. Just watch out for the frost heave on the highway. You can see it coming by the white line on the right side of the driving lane. It looks like it is wavy instead of straight. Have a great time.
WhalerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #22
drw

Alaska

We will always welcome our southern neighbors. Lots of nice camping in Alberta. Covid has not stopped our hospitality in Whitecourt.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #23

yeah... Liard is a hit

get a "Milepost".. it has all the routes marked out on maps with distances and services available. theres a new one every year

in Alaska.... Kenai peninsula to Homer & Seward is worthy. Anchor Point (near Homer) is as far WEST as you can drive in this hemisphere without a boat ride

Denai Highway is good if you are OK with gravel. that covers pretty much all the different scenery you would see north of the Alaska Range.

I also like the Old Richardson highway from Delta
dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #24

Just a couple of tips from a Canadian. We are a different country, you need a passport! Please do not bring your guns of any type. If you declare them, they will either be confiscated or you will be returned to the US. If you don't declare them and they are found, you will be arrested, charged and a court date will be set. You will probably be sent home too. We are friendly but do have our own laws. On the bright side, right now a US dollar is worth about $1.20 CDN. Right now the border is closed to all recreational travel to Canada and also for us to the US. When the border opens, come and enjoy Canada.
Ricky555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #25
drw

You can travel thru Alberta , on your way to Alaska. Just require a permit from the border.
Here in Whitecourt we have being seeing lots of Alaska and us plates
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #26
RPR

Are you allowed a maximum number of days to get through to Alaska? One night stops only?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #27
RPR

Need to read restrictions posted by Canada and Alaska first
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #28

Right now travelling through Canada is direct only, no stops for sightseeing etc. It will take you more than one day, you can stop to rest but have to stay isolated, no visiting. Better to wait until restrictions are over and you can take your time and see Beautiful British Columbia. Look up travel restrictions through Canada and also travel restrictions in Alaska.
Ricky555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #29

Thanks everyone for your information. Please continue! We’re not going to Alaska until summer of 2022 when hopefully all the travel restrictions will be gone. We’re just collecting ideas and travel info. We did an Alaska cruise+7day land tour a few years ago and got enough of a feel for Alaska that we have to go back on our own relaxed schedule of 2-3 months.
nsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #30

By the time you go what do you estimate the $ price of Gas or Diesel to be ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #31

Alaska

We drove and camped from Mi to the West coast. got on the Alaskan ferry to Alaska,spent eight weeks there,drove all the way back.Loved the ferry.
StanleyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #32
RPR

Liters in Canada so I did not worry about converting to US dollars. Just pumped we enjoyed their country.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #33

Smile Alaska

We did the trip from Vancouver only as far as Whitehorse 4 years ago. Love love love the trip. We had one scare when the nearest gas station to our last campground stop in BC (Boya Lake) was closed unexpectedly. Our truck can only make it about 300km per tank and I was counting on that gas station! Luckily we had a bit in the gas can we use for the generator. But never again will we travel up that way without 2 extras on hand. Boya Lake-Ta Ch'ila Provincial Park) is a must stay BTW if you love dry camping like we do.
I planned the trip out with our BCAA online trip planning tool. Campground reservations are a must in BC. Yukon Territories not so much.
Watch out for bison and bears on the highway!! They have the right of way.
Karen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #34

for those that don't know... the AK ferry system is in turmoil. to leave from a port in the USA, it is a round trip ticket only. no one way trip except from Canadian ports. maybe it will be better in '22. not holding my breath because of our stupid governor and his idiot friends in a certain political party. it's like they are trying to kill the ferry system on purpose.

as for guns through Canada... no pistols at all, but long arms are allowed if you follow the rules (also ammo). 18 months ago I was crossing Top of the World Highway on the way to Dawson & a guy on a motorcycle ahead of me declared a shotgun. the agent asked if he had filed, and the answer was yes. he went in to do paper work. they checked me through and I pulled ahead to adjust my gear. 5 minutes later as I was pulling away, the gun guy was getting on his bike and coming through. and btw, he was carrying it for bear protection on the way to Inuvik. it may be different now... dunno

that said... do you need one? probably not
Old 04-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #35

I’ve driven up once and down twice my suggestion is get a copy of trail markers if I’m recalling the name correctly. It’s a atlas that covers every mile north on the us Canada boarder for getting to Alaska and getting around Alaska.
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #36

yea... it's called "The Milepost". its about 35 bucks, new edition every year. all the major book dealers will have it (or order it)

here's the main web page

https://themilepost.com/
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #37
RPR

My wife calls it the “ Holy Grail” of travel. Lol
Old 04-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #38
RPR

Amazon has the 2021 edition for $28.55
Old 04-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #39

Fuel availability

My suggestion is do not pass a gas stop if your fuel gauge is 1/2 tank. The country is beautiful and the people are very friendly. HOWEVER, the covid thingy may have put some stations out of business. You may see a like new sign advertising fuel and food only to find out it has been closed.

I have never taken a RV through Canada but I have been to Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot twice on a motorcycle. A spare and extra fuel is not a bad idea.
BMW143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #40
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky555 View Post
Just a couple of tips from a Canadian. We are a different country, you need a passport! Please do not bring your guns of any type. If you declare them, they will either be confiscated or you will be returned to the US. If you don't declare them and they are found, you will be arrested, charged and a court date will be set. You will probably be sent home too. We are friendly but do have our own laws. On the bright side, right now a US dollar is worth about $1.20 CDN. Right now the border is closed to all recreational travel to Canada and also for us to the US. When the border opens, come and enjoy Canada.

I love these posts about guns and Canada. I have traveled the world including Canada. I have many, many friends in Canada. I am retired LEO and most of them are active or retired LEO. Most who travel, and that includes RVers do not need to be reminded that the rest of the world has strict gun laws. We know that, respect that, and go by that. Much the same as traveling in Mexico. Those of us on the southern border know that carrying a gun into Mexico will get a trip to the local jail and their system is Napoleonic, "you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent". So thank you for the tip but if the "rude, dumb" American traveler comes to the border with a gun or ammo they deserve what happens from there.

And we do have our laws too. There is a reason we have a Second Amendment. Our parting with England was not as cordial as Canada and the rest of the world does not remember or understand that. Right or wrong there is a reason and without being nasty about it, it is insulting to be lectured about it.

This will likely be removed by the mods but the fact is our gun laws and that of other countries is something that the general traveler needs to be aware of and not lectured on.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote