Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Alaska

We are going to Alaska next year. Will be driving the entire way. We estimate it will take about 2 months. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.
nsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #2

We did it in the summer of 2019. Took about month to get into Alaska from Atlanta then spent about 3 months in AK. 14,000 mile round trip for us. Make sure you tires are good do all your maintenance on your rig. Drive slow on the dirt roads, watch for frost heaves. Take your time driving, no rush. Lots of dry camping areas. We did the entire trip on free dry camping sites. I recommend getting the Alaska Mile Post guide. You are going to love it. This is definitely one of the most beautiful and our favorite of the 49 states we've RV'd too. ENJOY!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #3

While I've said over and over I'm in the "don't bother carrying a spare" crowd, I think if I was doing the AlCan highway, I'd probably carry something. Maybe just an extra tire. But I think I'd carry some Plan B.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #4

Don't forget you will be travelling through the great country of Canada, where the people are friendly and there are lots of places to stop and see. Just check to see what you can carry across the border.
Welcome and enjoy the trip.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
Don't forget you will be travelling through the great country of Canada, where the people are friendly and there are lots of places to stop and see. Just check to see what you can carry across the border.
Welcome and enjoy the trip.
I think our friendliness has worn thin throughout this pandemic...LOL. Hopefully by next year we'll be out of lockdown and our friendliness has been restored.

Alberta and BC are beautiful provinces, be sure to take in the sights!
Old 04-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsackett View Post
We are going to Alaska next year. Will be driving the entire way. We estimate it will take about 2 months. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.
do a search on here for Alaska there are some really good threads...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
RPR

Thanks to the ever on going improvements and repairs to the Alcan hwy it is in a whole lot better shape than it was 10 years ago. But being a Alcan highway repair person is a lifetime job!
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #8

Carry enough cash to allow you to camp and to pay for fuel. It happens that sometimes wireless is down and credit cards not accepted.
I found the Alaska Highway to be in fine shape; better than the roads at home and there is a gas station every 300 miles. Always be mindful of the gauge.

The gravel roads are often very good too but sometimes frost heavy.. Just slow down. Intermittent permafrost sometimes makes roads irregular. Most highways that are being paved now have insulation being installed underneath.

The Denali Highway is spectacular It is not a usual tourist route.. Rt 8 on your Alaska map. You can camp anywhere ( no services of course)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
RPR

We had no problem during our trip through Canada and Alaska at anytime with the ability to use cc.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
We had no problem during our trip through Canada and Alaska at anytime with the ability to use cc.
Overall that is true but in Liard Hot Springs BC on the Alaska Highway which is a must stop there was no cc processing available
Attached Thumbnails
63297ADF-3C21-4DDF-A054-F0565ECB067A.jpg  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
RPR

We topped off the gas tank where we spent the night in Ft Nelson and we’re good to go to Watson Lake our next stop. Here is a screen shot of our itinerary then.
Attached Thumbnails
DF351205-5ED3-4C8E-BBDE-30D26E457A4A.jpg  
Old 04-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #12
RPR

We rented a new unit rental/ delivery to Rental dealer in Alaska. Flew back.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #13

We made the Alaska trip from ky in 2016 and 2018. It is a spectacular journey. We never had any credit card issues. Stayed at Liard Springs coming and going for both trips.
Bob-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #14

We want to thank you for all your advice. It is very much appreciated. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do so.
nsackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-ky View Post
We made the Alaska trip from ky in 2016 and 2018. It is a spectacular journey. We never had any credit card issues. Stayed at Liard Springs coming and going for both trips.
Just wanted travelers to be wise. Satellite internet is sometimes iffy.. and cc needs wireless these days. Not too many have the old imprinters.
Also these places often run on diesel generators and they do sometimes go down.

We were expecting nothing different than at home . In the North Maine woods campgrounds rely on sat internet and generators and for that reason people carry cash.

We were quite astounded to make the trip along I 10 and other roads from Pensacola over to Death Valley and have great cell service and even could have a hotspot in the middle of Death Valley.

Doesn't happen here. Does happen in all places in Dawson City YT.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-ky View Post
Definitely recommend stopping at Liard Hot Springs. No that I have read all this thread...I do recall in parts of Yukon that there are places that do rely on generator power. I think that one place we stopped for Cinnamon rolls only accepted cash. But all the other places we stopped for gasoline accepted CC. I relied on Gas Buddy to help with finding best prices and planning our gas stops. You do need to plan that out cause there are some areas you drive long distances between gas stations.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #17

Georgia RV. The cinnamon bun place may have been Johnsons Crossing in the Yukon on the Teslin River or Testa's. Cinnamon roll and the Alaska Highway are synonymous.

https://www.realfoodtraveler.com/bes...innamon%20roll.

I loved Johnsons Crossing. One bun big enough for two.

Liard Hot Springs station just had lost its internet. I never intended to say credit cards could never be used in the area. Just advice never to depend on it when the business depends on satellite and generator.

We lose power here once a week and also internet though we are near the largest city in the state. Hence we have a generator but also do not have satellite Internet. So once we are down in power we have no connection to the outside world. If you were to pay me with a credit card I would not be able to accept it at that time.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #18
RPR

Second on my list are the pancakes at a restaurant in Talkeetna, Alaska. So big they bring them out on a big dinner plate and the pancakes lay over the edge of the plate!
Old 04-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Second on my list are the pancakes at a restaurant in Talkeetna, Alaska. So big they bring them out on a big dinner plate and the pancakes lay over the edge of the plate!
Talkeetna is another definite stop in AK. Love this little town and if you like beer they have a great locally brewed beers there. That is also the town we caught the float plane that took us on a flight over Denali and landed on the glacier. We also boondocked there on the Susitna river bank just north west of Talkeetna. Great location to boondock if the water levels have stabilized!

Old 04-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #20
RPR

Tried to find the name of the restaurant but things have changed since 2016 and with COVID-19 not sure what’s open or still there.