Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Allison reprogram review

I had my 2018 Jayco Seneca Allison 2500 transmission reprogramed at Premier Truck Sales and Service in Knoxville, TN. this morning.

Before the reprogram the Seneca accelerated well off the line on level terrain. It did not seem to have a passing gear. The 2018 Seneca does not have a OD lockout or Tow/Haul mode button. On shorter hills it usually did well if I approached at 65 mph or higher. If I approached at 55 mph it would quickly lose speed. If it was a long incline it would lose speed and at full throttle it would not down shift until it reached about 1,400 RPM. Once it downshifted it would hold the gear until about 1,800-2,000 RPM and then upshift. Consequently it had very poor climbing power. It was frustrating climbing long grades at 30-40 mph.

After communicating with Matt Lazier, programing engineer at Allison Transmission, I learned that the Seneca was ordered with the Economy program as the primary and the Performance program as secondary. Because there is no Tow/Haul or OD lockout button there is no way to access the performance program.

Matt provided the technician at Premier, Nate, the information to swap the Performance program to primary. Fortunately there was a hill on I-40 next to Premier. We test drove the new performance program and it made a big difference in that on a climb at full throttle the transmission would downshift at about 1,700 RPM instead of 1,400. This seemed to keep the engine from losing too much power and was a big improvement. However, the transmission would still upshift at about 2,000 RPM which on climbs limited power. We contacted Matt about this and he sent the technician a program where on full throttle climbs the gears are held to about 2,500 RPM. This made a huge difference.

On normal, non-full throttle acceleration there seems to be no difference in the shifting pattern. At about 1,700 RPM I can hit the throttle and drop down a gear instantly. I only drove from Knoxville to Maryville, about 30 miles, but it did have some climbs. It really felt like I was driving a different vehicle. It was much more responsive.

Next week I will be driving to the Georgia mountains and should get a better impression. The Seneca now drives like I thought it should from the beginning. This is how it should come from the factory.

Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Mark
Thanks for the details and information. It looks like this is a worth while investment. I will see if I can get this done before my trip to nc in two weeks. Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Mark
Thanks for a great review.Was the upgrade covered by the warranty ?
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
MD3

I'm going to head over to Dartco next week and see if they can do this same thing on mine.
Thank you for posting up the info !

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #5

It sound's like the improvement that was made to my unit. I think this is one change that can really make a difference in how these units pull and drive, I am glad it worked for you also, gord
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
It sounds like Allison sponsored this reprogram. So there is no warranty issues by having this done. Is that correct?
JOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Mark
Thanks for a great review.Was the upgrade covered by the warranty ?
If not, would you mind sharing what it cost? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #8

I went in with the expectation that I would be charged at least a couple hours of labor and felt it would be worth it. Surprisingly, they decided it should be a warranty issue.

Even if it were a couple hundred dollars I would still have been happy with the outcome. .
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I went in with the expectation that I would be charged at least a couple hours of labor and felt it would be worth it. Surprisingly, they decided it should be a warranty issue.

Even if it were a couple hundred dollars I would still have been happy with the outcome. .
Definitely worth a couple of hundred if it comes to that. I've got another trip out west planned for Feb and I definitely want to get this done. Luckily, there's an Allison shop right here in Panama City. I'll email Matt on Monday. Thanks for the good info!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
MD3

I sent Matt an email to asking about the reprogram and was directed to my local Allison repair facility.

Just and FYI from Matt at Allison:
While I realize that I have provided direct support to other owners of Jayco RVs in the recent past, I have been instructed to direct such requests to an Allison approved service center. I have worked with Dartco on other cases, so they should be able to fully support this request if you choose to go with them. They will take your vehicle information and request a calibration from us if necessary. If your calibration is set up similar to the others that we dealt with, then a significant performance increase will potentially be possible.

-

2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote