Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #61

Definitely talk to Matt

You are definitely going to want to talk to Matt prior to going for a Reprogram. I tried to just have the dealer change the program to performance and felt it was actually worse (erratic shift points and less speed on a hill previously climbed). Second time was with the program given to Mark from Allison (Matt) and its phenomenal! I do contemplate putting in the switch to activate wire 167 (or something like that) to switch back to economy when on highway and not towing.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
You are definitely going to want to talk to Matt prior to going for a Reprogram. I tried to just have the dealer change the program to performance and felt it was actually worse (erratic shift points and less speed on a hill previously climbed). Second time was with the program given to Mark from Allison (Matt) and its phenomenal! I do contemplate putting in the switch to activate wire 167 (or something like that) to switch back to economy when on highway and not towing.
I am glad to hear the reprogram worked out for you Ryan. I thought about adding the switch to return to ecconomy but thinking about I don’t see any benefit to it. I saw no difference in fuel economy and would not want to downgrade the performance with no real benefit.

I would really like to have a switch to drop and lock out gears. Since I am driving driving to Silverton Colorado (elevation 9,300) this summer, I figure this will be a goood test on how the transmission works as is.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #63

Thanks all for Matt's email address.
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #64

When will you be in Silverton? I will be there in late August.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
When will you be in Silverton? I will be there in late August.
We will be in Silverton the first week in August and then on to Angel Fire, NM. Darn, I would have really enjoyed getting together. Probably heading back to Colorado right after Labor Day.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #66

I knew this from you other post. I feel stupid.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I knew this from you other post. I feel stupid.
Hey, Angel Fire is what, about 3 hours from Albuquerque? Let’s find a cool place in the middle for a day trip and catch up over a cold one sometime in August.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #68

Gosh Mark: wonder why Jayco advertises the 2018 with a 3000 transmission!
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post

The early 2018 units are built on the m2 chassis. They switched production in or about September last year and went with a custom freightliner built chassis. That is why you will see people say 2018.5.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #70

I guess I got caught up in the model change with my 2017. Ordered in fall of 2016
Expecting air ride seats, didn’t happen. At least I got the end of the slides with matching body paint! Really makes the paint job look good.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post
The M2-based pre-2018.5 units had 700 lb/ft of torque which was the upper limit for the 2500 Allison. With the S2RV package having more horsepower and torque, the increased power handling capabilities of the 3000 is necessary.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #72

I’m thinking the 2018.5 doesn’t need this mod due to having gear selection via push button?
TheAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsphalt View Post
I’m thinking the 2018.5 doesn’t need this mod due to having gear selection via push button?
I am thinking you are correct about not needing the trans mod. Selectable gears would be a very nice option.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #74

Correct...just press the mode button.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #75

We took our 2017 Seneca to Chandler, AZ Freightliner/Allison to get our transmission changed. Showed them who to email at Allison, they said we know.
Also needed headlights corrected, dash lights stay on 24/7, since new.
They called us several days later, it was done. Upon picking it up, we were given a $926 bill, $126 was for headlights, balance for tramission update. We asked about warranty, was informed warranty over March of 18. We purchased it new in March of 17. Many frustrating unreturned calls later, they finally got warranty corrected, Freightlinger told us warranty started March of 16, when Jayco got it, instead of when we purchased it.
Nothing had been done to transmission, dash lights still stay on.
Ended up taking it back to Freightliner again, they finally listened and got the transmission changed as we requested, another bill for $326, dash lights still stay on 24/7, running batteries dead.
Second trip to Freightliner mechanic called and said dash lights stay on when going down road, we told him that isn’t problem, they never go off. Upon picking up we still have dash light continuously staying on issue, running batteries down. Engine batteries are going to need replacing soon, because of going dead so much. Coach has went through 8 batteries in a year, so put shut off on them, asked Freightliner to put shut off on engine batteries if they couldn’t correct light issue, but they failed to do either.
We have gotten so many run arounds with light issue, Jayco in Middlebury, World Wide (dealer), said Freightliner issue, and we end up with a big bill.
MO Farmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Farmers View Post
We took our 2017 Seneca to Chandler, AZ Freightliner/Allison to get our transmission changed.

We have gotten so many run arounds with light issue, Jayco in Middlebury, World Wide (dealer), said Freightliner issue, and we end up with a big bill.
Is there a happy ending to this story?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #77

Not yet, still having discussions with Chandler Freightliner. If the service manager would just listened to us ( about transmission) when dropping off Seneca, that part would have been avoided. They have a lack of communication between service manager and mechanics.

Owner of World Wide is trying to get our first bill back for us. We don’t mind paying for change to transmission, but not $900+. I don’t know if anything we will ever be able to get anything done about dash lights.

Really like the motor home, but wish Jayco would have done a little better quality build on it. We went to Middlebury twice last summer, backup camera, radio quit, massive water intrusion, etc. right from Mesa.. Frustrating!
MO Farmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Farmers View Post
Not yet, still having discussions with Chandler Freightliner. If the service manager would just listened to us ( about transmission) when dropping off Seneca, that part would have been avoided. They have a lack of communication between service manager and mechanics.

Owner of World Wide is trying to get our first bill back for us. We don’t mind paying for change to transmission, but not $900+. I don’t know if anything we will ever be able to get anything done about dash lights.

Really like the motor home, but wish Jayco would have done a little better quality build on it. We went to Middlebury twice last summer, backup camera, radio quit, massive water intrusion, etc. right from Mesa.. Frustrating!
What lights are on the dash? Transmission issues?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #79

I had to pay for the reprogram but it was only around 1.5 hours or $200. The head lights were .5 hours but covered by Warrantee.

Don’t know how they could have come up with $900.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:16 AM   #80

Switch Installed

Just thought I would update those with older machines; i have a 2016 37HJ and was able to add a Mode Control Switch for Performance/Economy selection on the fly.

I installed a control wire in pin 142 and now have the ability to select performance or economy mode. I did not get any reporgramming done; the two program maps are apparently loaded from the factory. I could also see where Freightliner installed a control wire in pin 161 for the O/D lockout control. It’s a pretty easy mod as the Allison TCM is right on the firewall outside the driver position. You could also add O/D lockout if you wanted to do that as well.

My notes on driving differences are as follows:

1. In perf mode shift points raise to 2400 rpm holding the gear longer. Down shifts immediately with WOT especially noticeable at 65mph when it drops to 5th to provide passing gear. Considerably faster acceleration to speed from a stop.

2. In economy mode shifts at 2100 rpm. At highway speeds climbing hills lugs at WOT until approx 50mph where it downshifts to 4th. Seems to skip past 5th gear completely. No real passing gear as it will not kick down at WOT at 65. Short shifts accel from a start bogging through gears at <1500rpm, especially with a heavy load or in hilly terrain.

On flat terrain econo mode was fine for me towing 6000 lbs but it was a dog in the hills and required lots of driver input to try and stay at speed. With performance mode it now automatically selects conditions that provide max climbing power….

I’m glad I did this.
Old Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote