Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #21

Thanks for the feedback. Just bought scangauge d. Will report back.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzellers5 View Post
What is the "tailwind" you speak of? We've never encountered one.

It's what's always in "the other lane".
Old 08-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #23

For great mileage just draft behind a big semi, maybe just a couple feet behind. Or try hooking a tow strap to him.

The famous saying about if you have to ask the price of something, you can't afford it covers RVs. The mileage is what it is and yes it gets better with slower driving. I recently installed an OBD2 monitor just to see what mileage I was getting. I didn't let the figures affect my driving. I mainly wanted to monitor how much fuel I consumed to have a better idea on when I needed to gas up.

A recent trip from Southern California to Bend Oregon showed mileage of 7.5 - 9.2. The lower mileage was mostly when I was booking at 70-75 in my 2017 32 foot Greyhawk. The higher mileage was at about 60. Flat ground also helped.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #24

This is good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We usually get high 7's. Maybe 8's if I drive and take it easy. But this last week it was just my son and I out for seven days with no agenda!

Nothing that had to be done, no place we had to be. Since we had nothing to rush to, I kept it at 60mph on I-80 for most of the day. I gassed up twice and both times my math showed we were in the high 9's, almost 10, MPG.

Wowser.

Usually I'm at 65 and will put a bit of a foot in it to get up a hill.
But, I'm just flabbergasted at the improvement. Just 5 MPH less.
Glad to hear this. We have a 2010 31' FK. We bought this motorhome used in 2017 and I checked the mileage on our 2nd trip. Less than 7 mpg, closer to 6! I never checked again. After a bit of reading on this forum I began to understand 65-70 mph on the interstate is a not a good idea in this motorhome; for several reasons. Now I drive 60-65 mph. Thanks to your post I'll generate the courage to check mileage again.

2010 Jayco Greyhawk 31 FK
My Other RV is a Vans RV-8
onewinglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzellers5 View Post
We've put over 70,000 miles on two Class C's since I retired. Los Angeles to Ohio to Key West (6 times) to Nova Scotia to Ohio to Texas to Maryland to Florida to Alaska to Ohio ...

What is the "tailwind" you speak of? We've never encountered one.

it's the wind that is always blowing the way you are NOT going... it is a rule of nature... you go west ... the wind blows from the west.. you go east the wind blows from the east... same with north and south.. it happens to me every single time... I have tried to outsmart ol' mother nature but to no avail.. start by going north only to turn south.. that crazy lady figures it out every single time.. and starts blowing from the south.. now if i drop off the trailer she gives me a good tail wind...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewinglo View Post
After a bit of reading on this forum I began to understand 65-70 mph on the interstate is a not a good idea in this motorhome; for several reasons. Now I drive 60-65 mph. Thanks to your post I'll generate the courage to check mileage again.

Yes!

Remember 65 and under is easier on your tires too.

The CCC on our 31FKs is pretty small, three cups of instant Mac and Cheese in the pantry and we're close to the max weight.

Tires don't like heat.
Going slower keeps them cooler.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #27

Here's my comparison from this summer towing my '16 NP 377 with my '16 Ram 3500 dually (4.10 rear): From the Dallas area up to Yellowstone and back I averaged 9.2 MPG. And I went thru about 6.5 gallons on DEF. From the Dallas area to the panhandle of FL and back I averaged 10.9 MPG. And I went thru about 2 gallons of DEF. For me the sweet spot seems to be 67 MPH, however I usually set the cruise between 67 & 70 MPH. And sometimes I have to kick it up to 75 or so to get past a slow mover to let someone pass. So, in summary, I would say the mountains suck more fuel and DEF in my travels.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #28

Here's one for the crowd,,,,,,,My wife and i were on our way back from a local lake, she was driving ("its my MH too yah know"). As we were descending a decline, she said "hey look, i can make it get 60mpg" After seeing the read out on the tach, I chuckled, She had taken her foot off the throttle and VOILA, 60mpg. I let her have her victory.
2021 Greyhawk 30x
Dutch64 is offline   Reply With Quote