Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #21

I was the one who originally broached the question of cutting the cord and putting the PT in the cubby.

I have second thoughts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
It was the cord that was attached to my RV, I got sick of dealing with that little cubby, so I cut it, made a 2’ whip with a male end in the cubby, then turned the cord in to an extension with a female end. I put the surge protector, (sure guard 34730), inside the cubby, protecting it from the elements and Thieves!

During my travels today I bought a small, less expensive, progressive 30 amp as a backup, (which I am using now), and a new extension cord. I moved the surge to the pedestal. I’m in a different park from the one I was plugged into this morning. Now Everything is warm to the touch at best, nothing is as hot as it was this morning when I unplugged.

I’ll send in the Sure Guard for testing and a new end.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I was the one who originally broached the question of cutting the cord and putting the PT in the cubby.

Yea, don’t do that!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

you can cut the cord and splice with in line crip connectors, shrink tube and black tape with no problems.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
This is the exact discussion I had in another thread. The more connections you put in the power cord, the more chances of issues. Plus, this is another reason why I put my EMS on the pedestal. If the plug connections fail, it will burn up at the pedestal, and not in my compartment.

There's enough bad wiring coming out of the factory. No need to add any additional to the rig.
It's not how many connections but the quality of the connections that count. The connections on the outside are exposed to the environment and more prone to develop oxidation and areas of high resistance. Then there is the operation of connecting and disconnecting that may loosen the connections resulting in arcing and heat. A hardwired EMS is out of the environment and permanently connect so you avoid both issues. The only connection exposed to the environment and mechanic operations of making a connection is the plug at the pedestal.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #25

Had this happened to me to solve this problem, make sure you're extension cord prong are not corroded, clean them off with sand paper back to the copper state and this should solve the problem, one other thing that will corrode the prongs is loose connection or long runs.
Rickv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
you can cut the cord and splice with in line crip connectors, shrink tube and black tape with no problems.
Except, that's not what was being discussed. The issue is the male/female parts of the plugs wearing out and arcing or shorting out, not how to splice wires together.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #27

That's not what I meant, when you have a loose connection or corroded plug ends the prongs will heat up and the plastic/rubber will melt. To solve sand off the corrosion/oxidation, trying to achieve new connection.
Rickv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickv3 View Post
That's not what I meant, when you have a loose connection or corroded plug ends the prongs will heat up and the plastic/rubber will melt. To solve sand off the corrosion/oxidation, trying to achieve new connection.
We know what you meant, and that is what was being discussed in the thread. How to prevent loose connections that heat up and melt, not how to splice wires together.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Except, that's not what was being discussed. The issue is the male/female parts of the plugs wearing out and arcing or shorting out, not how to splice wires together.
See post #21 which I quoted!

Old 09-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
See post #21 which I quoted!

Now, go back to #21, and read it again, and see if you understand exactly what he did.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
I think I was on my way to having a big burnout in my plug. I started using a surge protector last year and after a couple trips with it I noticed it was almost welding itself to my plug. After that happened twice I stopped using it and cleaned up my terminals. I started tripping breakers at every other campground we went to. My plug was hot when the breaker tripped. I hope changing out the plug fixes my issues.

It makes me very reluctant to use a surge protector. Seems like there are a few examples of them causing more harm than good.
Attached Thumbnails
burnt-camper-plug.jpg   camper-plug-new.jpg  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #32

I am OP on this subject.

I contacted Sure guard, whom is Actually Southwire, (the company who manufactures and sells the surge protection device),. I explain to them the unit is 5 years old and I was looking for service, a new male end and testing the unit and that I was not looking for warranty work. see the below response. At $250, I Don’t think I’ll ever purchase another item from them in the future.

“Hi John:

If your male plug melted, that is usually due to a loose connection in the female plug it is inserted in. Normal configuration is to plug 34730 into pedestal and use an extension cord on the load side. That will keep the 34730 off of the ground.

The 34730 is an older device and the unit only had a one year warranty. We do not service any devices nor sell any spare parts due to the safety nature of it’s protection.

Regards,
S.

Steve Guarcello
Technical Support
Southwire Company, LLC

Phone 727-812-0578
Email stephen.guarcello@southwire.com
Old 09-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #33

Quote:
I Don’t think I’ll ever purchase another item from them in the future.
Why? They stated they don't "SERVICE" units because of liability. What do you want them to do? You admitted it was 5 years old and it came with a 1 yr warranty.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Why? They stated they don't "SERVICE" units because of liability. What do you want them to do? You admitted it was 5 years old and it came with a 1 yr warranty.
In the Electronic business we call older devices “legacy devices”, usually devices that are 10 years old or older. My company has sent in numerous electronic devices and have gotten them serviced in the past.

I would at least expect replacement parts to be available.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #35

Quote:
I am OP on this subject.

I contacted Sure guard, whom is Actually Southwire, (the company who manufactures and sells the surge protection device),. I explain to them the unit is 5 years old and I was looking for service, a new male end and testing the unit and that I was not looking for warranty work. see the below response. At $250, I Don’t think I’ll ever purchase another item from them in the future.

“Hi John:

If your male plug melted, that is usually due to a loose connection in the female plug it is inserted in. Normal configuration is to plug 34730 into pedestal and use an extension cord on the load side. That will keep the 34730 off of the ground.

The 34730 is an older device and the unit only had a one year warranty. We do not service any devices nor sell any spare parts due to the safety nature of it’s protection.

Regards,
S.

Steve Guarcello
Technical Support
Southwire Company, LLC

Phone 727-812-0578
Email stephen.guarcello@southwire.com
They are absolutely correct. Doesn't matter that you do not agree. There is nothing worg with the unit. The burned plug is from a loose connection just as they stated. They have no control over what you plug into. None of the big 3 suppliers will warranty for burned plugs

Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I was wondering the same thing. It was 4 years out of warranty. It wasn't a case of being one month over or two months, and right on the edge.

Not sure exactly what he was expecting? I'm sure the manual that came with it outlined the 1 year warranty. Plus, most of are aware of the loose pedestal connection problem on 30 amp outlets, and carry a 50 amp dog bone for that situation.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #37

I guess I am expecting to much given the age of this device. I’ll probably fix it myself, it only needs a new male end, it function properly.

On the flip side I can’t see spending another $250 on a product that may not be able to be serviced after one year. I’m not looking for a freebie, I clearly stated that. Just would like parts available for something in this price range. Mechanics don’t refuse to work on cars after 5 years.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #38

Quote:
I guess I am expecting to much given the age of this device. I’ll probably fix it myself, it only needs a new male end, it function properly.

On the flip side I can’t see spending another $250 on a product that may not be able to be serviced after one year.
The company's "track record" is to completely replace units even out of warranty for covered failures based on what I've seen. Had it failed internally my guess is they would have replaced it for free or at a discount.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
If it appears that if it's still functioning correctly, that would be a good first start.

Quote:
On the flip side I can’t see spending another $250 on a product that may not be able to be serviced after one year.
Well, another way to look at it, consider it a "insurance policy" protecting all the other electronics in the rig. I guess you can run without it, and hope the rig doesn't take a direct surge or hit. That would be a lot more damaging and expensive.

Just be aware of loose 30 amp outlets on future pedestals.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #40

Quote:
If it appears that if it's still functioning correctly, that would be a good first start.

Well, another way to look at it, consider it a "insurance policy" protecting all the other electronics in the rig. I guess you can run without it, and hope the rig doesn't take a direct surge or hit. That would be a lot more damaging and expensive.

Just be aware of loose 30 amp outlets on future pedestals.
I guess that’s true about thinking of it as insurance. I owned my own tech company 8 years ago until I sold it, we would never design/install a system without proper surge protection.

I went straight to a CW on that travel day once the “meltdown’ happened, but the only thing they had in stock was a cheap, $135 one with no start up delay. I just ordered Auto transformers watchdog, on sale with a discount on CW’s website. It came to $200! I’ll use the watchdog as my every day unit and the other as a backup.