Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

alternative to winterizing?

We're new to RV'ing but hope to use our Greyhawk off and on thru out the winter. Is there an alternative to winterizing? If I keep it plugged in to 120 and leave the tank heaters on, will that protect it? What about leaving a small space heater inside? If I can find indoor storage will either of these work? I don't want to have to repeatedly winterize between outings.
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Indoor storage that stays above freezing would be your best but most expensive solution. Whether you build or rent, it'll cost ya. If your tanks are empty, they don't need to be heated. Your water heater and indoor plumbing would be your most vulnerable places, however the water heater should be drained between trips anyway. Heating the interior would still leave some exterior plumbing that would be subject to freezing, namely the low point drains, the water fill line, and plumbing between fresh water tank and the interior.

Yeah, it is a pain to winterize but if you're storing the rig outdoors, it's the only safe way to protect your plumbing. The methods for winterizing are extremely controversial, but I've always just used air. Takes me half hour to 45 minutes to get it done. I end up winterizing several times a year.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

It depends...

On how cold it's going to get where you're at. We've discussed winterizing here many times and we all seem to think that short duration mid-to-high twenties (*F) and up, you're OK with space heaters.

Sustained temps below that - winterize.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeagle View Post
We're new to RV'ing but hope to use our Greyhawk off and on thru out the winter. Is there an alternative to winterizing? If I keep it plugged in to 120 and leave the tank heaters on, will that protect it? What about leaving a small space heater inside? If I can find indoor storage will either of these work? I don't want to have to repeatedly winterize between outings.
You can winterize with air in about 15 minutes. Takes less time than you would spend setting up heaters and the other stuff you mentioned. Leaving water in your water lines if you live where it gets below freezing is going to end up causing problems. If you really plan on using the RV in the winter, you will get a lot of practice winterizing. It is not a big deal.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You can winterize with air in about 15 minutes. Takes less time than you would spend setting up heaters and the other stuff you mentioned. Leaving water in your water lines if you live where it gets below freezing is going to end up causing problems. If you really plan on using the RV in the winter, you will get a lot of practice winterizing. It is not a big deal.
We take the same approach... we winterize with compressed (filtered air) and often will fill it with water and GO later in the winter... yes - in the dead of winter where the overnight lows can get into the teens or below. .

Stacy and I have worked out a pretty efficient routine where she is inside and I am outside opening valves / drains to get it done. The key is to identify EVERY valve / low point drain - a checklist is the key!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

In a Seneca, with their “enclosed and heater basement” (just typing that makes me laugh, you will only be heating areas with water lines to 5 degrees above ambient temperatures. This is the best case scenario and was verified by a remote temp sensing system I installed. Therefore, you cannot count on your furnace to keep the water lines safe.

Then, on your drive, which may be in cold temps, you will have several considerations to make. Will you run with LP on; many people here are on either side of that discussion. Will you continue to run these electric space heaters during your drive, understanding that you will need to run the gen and make certain they do not tip over (see Steve’s solution), or come in contact with flammable components during the journey.

That being said, several of us have taken measures to operate these units in severely cold climates they were never designed to do. I have wrapped many lines in heat tape and insulation to keep myself safe (good to 4 degrees). I think there may be complete limitations to how cold you can go, but I will find out this winter in Illinois.

What are you using for a setup for your compressed air winterizing system. I currently need 8 gallons of antifreeze (I know, I am doing something wrong here) to winterize and this may be a good solution.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #7

You could just carry fresh water with you if doing weekends for drinking/cooking/flushing. Then you'd just need to put enough pink into the tanks to prevent freezing before you dump. Depends on how long you are out for a winter trip. A heated building doesn't help unless you are camping in the building as well.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterizing