Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #1

Alternator up grade

As we move toward a substantial solar power instal with a large battery bank I'm wondering about an alternator up grade. The factory unit in our '02 E450 is ninty amps. I haven't done much research yet but I do know it would take many, many miles of driving for our present alternator to recharge anything more than the chassis battery. Any thoughts please!

Best to all!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

I guess it depends on how many batteries you're traveling with, how sunny it is, how much solar you have on the roof, how much recharging do you need, how far you drive, and so on.

The output on our 2015 is 120A, so not *that* much more. We've got 200 watts of solar on top that only needs to charge the one house battery.

My general approach will be - add enough solar to recharge the house battery (or batteries some day). The alternator will take care of the engine battery.

So, nope not me, I'm not paying $600 for a 200-300A alternator.
I'd rather spend that money on solar.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

I think mine is 130a and the alternator is on the same frame as the earlier 95a alternators. In any case, 95a is still very capable, you should be able to charge up about 3 or 4 100 amp hour lead acid batteries in about 4~5 hours of drive time, all depending on how low they are. ~CA
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

For another thought, I would consider something like this to keep from overwhelming the alternator. Regardless of the type of coach batteries you plan to use, if you have plenty of battery ah storage and those batteries are very low, you could overwhelm the alternator and the factory coach battery charge wiring (mine has 80a breakers on the charge circuit). Using something like this would limit the load on the alternator and provide the best charge profile for you. I purchased the 40a model and plan to install more lifepo4 batteries in the near future. For me, I don't ever use more than 150ah's overnight (usually much less, depends on if the heater is running a lot) and I should be able to obtain a full charge in less than or close to 4 hours of driving using a 40 dc-dc charger. https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-...ttery-charger/

I would add this instead of a new alternator, unless yours is having issues.

~CA
Old 06-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post

Darn it!!! Another cool thing to buy! I gotta stop reading your posts. You're costing me money!

Old 06-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Darn it!!! Another cool thing to buy! I gotta stop reading your posts. You're costing me money!

If you decide to get one, you could purchase a refurbed unit for Renogy off of ebay. I see them listed every now and then and that is where I bought mine. Looked (and still looks) like brand new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28391741929...debCI#viTabs_0
Old 06-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #7

Upgrading to a high amperage alternator will only be beneficial to your house battery(s) if the wire from the alternator to those batteries is of heavy enough gauge to carry the extra current.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #8

Jim, Craig, pconroy, Grumpy and so many others, thanks guys.
I knew I could count on me.
No, no I knew I could count on YOU!

I've thought about a DC to DC charger but haven't done any research. The girlfriend's now nineteen year old son is enjoying living in OUR motor home for the summer and really is anxious to get to the University of Delaware in September. We've never been to Niagara Falls so that's our next trip. Up the interstate to get there, then down through the Finger Lakes region and the Poconos back home.
WHATT'A LIFE. It's a shame I still have to work.

Best to all
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 06-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
We've never been to Niagara Falls

Us neither.
It's on our to-do list too.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

BTW, if you are looking to spend some money (and save some at the same time) I saw on another website where these people have the Renogy Lifepo4 batteries on a pretty good sale. $499 for 100ah and $749 for the 175ah. batteryhookup.com
Old 06-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
BTW, if you are looking to spend some money (and save some at the same time) I saw on another website where these people have the Renogy Lifepo4 batteries on a pretty good sale. $499 for 100ah and $749 for the 175ah. batteryhookup.com

That's a good price. I was watching Will Prowse's channel last night and see he's found some very large (350 watt) solar panels for a very low price. To save shipping, a trip to Sulphur Springs Texas would be involved.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #12

Thanks for the feed bag. No, no feed back! Yea feed BACK!

I saw the video from Will Prowse you mentioned. I haven't pursued it because I got the impression you have to buy a pallet of them to get that price. For a few seconds I even considered buying a pallet and reselling the ones I don't need. Ha! The devoted girlfriend would trip a 200 amp breaker. Speaking of HER, she just relayed an article to me regarding the changing nature of "camping". I'll go back to it and pass the information along. The article is penned by a guy who bought a campground eight years ago and is now selling out. He makes the case that those with deep pockets and camping corporate giants are rapidly changing what camping means. I'm going to post a link here and maybe start a new thread.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 06-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's a good price. I was watching Will Prowse's channel last night and see he's found some very large (350 watt) solar panels for a very low price. To save shipping, a trip to Sulphur Springs Texas would be involved.
Can you or Mahatnmacoat send me a link, I have some flex panels I haven't installed yet, but if these are something I am interested in then a trip to Sulphur Springs isn't too far for me. Thanks, ~Craig
Old 06-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #14

Here we go!
The excellent camping universe article is at;
http://www.rvtravel.com/andy1003/
Will Prowse can be found at,
DIY Solar Power With Will Prowse

And by the way Craig I'm taking your advice about the alternator. I'll keep what I've got and go the DC to DC charger route.

Best to all!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Old 06-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
Here we go!
The excellent camping universe article is at;
http://www.rvtravel.com/andy1003/
Will Prowse can be found at,
DIY Solar Power With Will Prowse

And by the way Craig I'm taking your advice about the alternator. I'll keep what I've got and go the DC to DC charger route.

Best to all!

Thanks, I found the youtube channel you mentioned, I didn't realize early on that it was a youtube channel. I also found the link to the solar panels, not a bad price at all but kind of large and more for a home I suspect than an RV. The panels I purchased for mine are flexible 120w panels. Many people will say that they are not as good as the glass framed panels, those people may be correct, however good for me is the easier mounting and the no wind noise and drag. I can add another panel to make up for the difference between the flex panels and the framed panels.

Regarding the DC-DC charger, I am not necessarily recommending you purchase and install one. I would first want to consider how large of a battery bank you are planning to have and what type of batteries you plan to use. For sure a DC-DC charger will work better (smarter) when you have different battery types such as lifepo4 for the coach and lead acid for the chassis as well as for limiting the charge current pulled from the alternator regardless of the battery types. However if your plans are to add standard lead acid deep cycle batteries for the coach, I would hold off on the dc-dc charger until you know if you will really need it or not.

The DC-DC charger will be able to limit the amps pulled from the alternator (which is good for the alternator), but whether or not that is really needed for your setup is another question. The resistance in the charge wiring from the alternator to the coach batteries along with the resistance of lead acid batteries may or may not overwhelm the alternator, the answer depends on how large of a battery bank and battery type you are planning.

Feel free to share your thoughts and plans if you like. Also, if you do get the Renogy dc-dc charger, I would get the 40a model, there is an option on them that allows you to choose 1/2 current if you wanted or needed to. So the 40a model can also do 20a, and the 20a model can do 10a. I suspect you would want the full 40a but having the ability to switch to 20a is good to have instead of just getting the 20a model to start with. ~CA
Old 06-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #16

Quote:
The panels I purchased for mine are flexible 120w panels.

I was >< this close to going flexible. For the same reasons you outlined. You might want to check out what Brian (RV WIth Tito) put under his flexibles. Looks like a good idea to help get the heat out from underneath.

Yeah, should have mentioned the panels Will was showing off were monsters.