Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #1

Am I having Gas Problems?

I posted a thread on Sunday morning about my Norcold 8 cu. ft. refrigerator not working. Basically, we drove from Hilton Head, SC to Ocala, FL, about 6 hours, with the Norcold on LP gas at the coldest setting. When we arrived at the campground, the freezer was in the 30’s and the fridge in the 50’s. We got ice and put as much food as we could in coolers to try to save it. And yes, I turn the Norcold on 24 to 48 hours prior to our departure and fill it with items that are already cold. One of the checks that I made was the Norcold’s metal “chimney” tube or stack in the outside compartment. While running on LP gas, the chimney was warm to the touch, but not real hot. I filed that away.

This evening I was using our LP gas BBQ grill. The grill uses LP gas directly from the Jayco. The gas system was factory installed and I have been using it for the 3 years we have had the Jayco, so I’m very familiar with its operation. I was cooking 2 hamburgers which took an inordinate amount of time to finish. Normally, when closed, the lid of the grill is very hot when cooking. Tonight, it was just warm to the touch.

Also, when I prepared the MH for the trip to Florida, I turn the LP gas on at the tank, then purge the system of air by lighting the three burners on the stove before I turn the refrigerator on. I always light all three burners and let them on for several minutes. Only two of the three would light. I thought there was a problem with the third burner and filed that away for further study after we return from Florida. We very seldom use the stove for cooking.

Thinking about it now, I have three LP gas appliances that don’t seem to be operating properly. Then I remembered that on a trip three weeks ago from Pennsylvania to South Carolina, I had the LP gas tank filled at a campground in Virginia. The individual who filled the tank didn’t seem to be properly schooled in the operation of the filling equipment, but when he was finished, I checked the gauge and it showed full.

The question now…could there be a problem with pressure or flow of the LP gas which is affecting the gas appliances? Any thoughts or ideas. By the way, the refrigerator is operating almost normally on AC power. The freezer is 18 degrees and the fridge is hanging around 37 degrees. Thank you!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

There is a safety device that restricts flow incase of an accidental rupture of the propane line. If you turn on the propane tank valve to quick, the inrush of gas can trip the valve. My experience, sometimes I still get some flow, but it is highly restricted. Other times I get no flow.

Recommendation, try to reset the safety valve. Turn off the tank valves. Try to light the stove (removes pressure from the line). On a MH not sure if you can do this, but I personally like to disconnect the hoses from the tank, and then reconnect them, this can speed up the reset process (at least in my experience on my TT), I theory you do not need to do this. Most people will then wait about 10 minutes for the safety valve to reset.

Key item, turn on the propane tank valve(s) really slowly not to have an inrush of gas into the system and trip the safety valve.

Light your stove, and see if you have a good flow of gas.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

When you light the stove burners is the flame primarily blue?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
When you light the stove burners is the flame primarily blue?
Yes, all blue. When I adjust the flame, from hi to low or low to hi, there is a second or two when there is a tinge of yellow, but it immediately goes back to solid blue.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
There is a safety device that restricts flow incase of an accidental rupture of the propane line. If you turn on the propane tank valve to quick, the inrush of gas can trip the valve. My experience, sometimes I still get some flow, but it is highly restricted. Other times I get no flow.

Recommendation, try to reset the safety valve. Turn off the tank valves. Try to light the stove (removes pressure from the line). On a MH not sure if you can do this, but I personally like to disconnect the hoses from the tank, and then reconnect them, this can speed up the reset process (at least in my experience on my TT), I theory you do not need to do this. Most people will then wait about 10 minutes for the safety valve to reset.

Key item, turn on the propane tank valve(s) really slowly not to have an inrush of gas into the system and trip the safety valve.

We plan to be out most of the day today, so I'll try your recommendation before we leave and keep the gas OFF until we return in the late afternoon. That should give it time to purge and reset. I'll also make sure there isn't anything to cause a spark and I'll crack a window or two open for ventilation. In the MH we have one large permanently mounted tank. Off hand I don't remember the exact capacity. Thank you!

Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Off subject but asking where are you camping in Ocala? We used to camp at Silver Springs SP.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Off subject but asking where are you camping in Ocala? We used to camp at Silver Springs SP.
We are at Lake Waldena Resort which is a couple of miles east of the State Park on Route 40. We tried for the State Park but between now and April they had no availability for 5-7 nights in a row in the same site. We are very pleased with this park. A 'premier' site on the lake was $275 for 7 nights. It's very quiet, with a majority of snowbirds.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:

The gas was off for about 9 hours. I checked all the appliances then turned the gas on as slowly as I could. I lit the stove first and had all three burners on high. They all had good blue flame. It seemed to work properly. I then changed the Norcold from AC to LP. It fired immediately and seemed to have a good flame. Then I turned on the gas heat since the temperature here in FLORIDA is supposed to hit a low of 32 tonight. I had good heat from that. I returned the Norcold to AC after about 15 minutes. In a day or so I'll let it run several hours on LP to see if the chimney gets warm to hot. Thank you again!

Old 12-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Yes, all blue. When I adjust the flame, from hi to low or low to hi, there is a second or two when there is a tinge of yellow, but it immediately goes back to solid blue.
That would seem to indicate the fuel/air ratio is correct.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:

Jagiven,

I fired the BBQ grill last night and within several minutes the lid was so hot that I couldn't touch it, so the bleeding process really helped! Thank you!

Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Jagiven,

I fired the BBQ grill last night and within several minutes the lid was so hot that I couldn't touch it, so the bleeding process really helped! Thank you!
You are very welcome. Luckily you now know how to fix it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #12

Now we all know! Great post, great response! I would of wasted my time and money changed my regulator!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Now we all know! Great post, great response! I would of wasted my time and money changed my regulator!
I probably would have done that too!