Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Amarillo TX trip

Planning a trip to Amarillo the 3rd week of September. We live north of Cincinnati about 25 miles. Looking for ideas as the the best route. Google has me going a route which puts me eventually on I-44. Anybody familiar with this route?

Thanks

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
mtnester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

I-44 through Oklahoma is a Toll Road, you could then pick up I-40 a little west of downtown Oklahoma City, and then straight shot to Amarillo. If you're looking for the least miles, that would be the way to go. Otherwise, you could drop down to Nashville and take I-40 west; but, you'd add probably 150 miles to your journey as I-40 dips south and then back north again around Little Rock. Enjoy the trip.
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

freetoroam Yes I'm looking at the least miles and time. Going down to Nashville and picking up I-40 adds at least 4-5 hours. I wasn't sure about I-44, tolls and going through the pay booths. I'm guessing their made for trucks and motor homes right?

Thanks

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Yes, you'll have no trouble on the toll road. Lots of motor homes and trucks travel through. Since we live in Oklahoma, we have the PikePass so we zip on through. I believe you stop and get a ticket and then pay your toll at the other end. Traffic can be heavy through St. Louis and the road was very rough last time we came through there, take your time. Tulsa is OK as long as you don't hit it at rush hour. When you get into the north side of Oklahoma City, you would have a choice to take the Kilpatrick Turnpike to I-40; or you could save a little $ by taking I-35 south to I-44 again and then pick up I-40 west. Take a look at a good map of Oklahoma City and you'll see what I'm talking about. Enjoy the ride.
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The biggest problem is your end point lol. We got stuck in Amarillo, Tx for 3 days on our trip West. A god forsaken place in cold rainy/sleet weather. We took I-40 West out of Nashville, but had a stop to see family there. I-40 is no picnic either. Lots of trucks and bumpy. In spring, the tornado's chased us West of I-44 before we got relief. Safe travels.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The biggest problem is your end point lol. We got stuck in Amarillo, Tx for 3 days on our trip West. A god forsaken place in cold rainy/sleet weather. We took I-40 West out of Nashville, but had a stop to see family there. I-40 is no picnic either. Lots of trucks and bumpy. In spring, the tornado's chased us West of I-44 before we got relief. Safe travels.
LOL!! I was wondering the same thing! What would anyone want to see in Amarillo? You can SMELL a lot for sure! It's cattle country out there, plenty of feed lots to stink up the place.

Seriously though, Palo Duro Canyon is right near there, and that might be worth the trip. Haven't been there since I was a teenager, and I'd like to go back. Some close friends went recently, and it's more beautiful than in my memories if that's possible.

Sorry, I can't help much with the route, but I'd like to thank the others for their warnings on some of the roads I will be traveling soon!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Can't help much with the route, but look up a place called Green Chile Willy's when you get there. It's on the south side of town off I27. Welcome to Green Chile Willy?s
Try the green chile chicken fried steak, and you can thank me later.
Deeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #8

Big Texas

Amarillo is famous for the Big Texan right on I 40. Home of the 72oz Steak. If you can eat it all, it's Free!
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #9

I would suggest you look at taking 70 to 270 and loop around St. Louis. 70 has you going right through the city; the bridges and construction are bad. 270 loops around STL and you can pick up 44 directly from 270.
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Camper_bob Going there to visit my son who moved there this spring.

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
Old 08-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #11

Mtnester,

If you have some time check out Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It is just outside Amarillo.

"The Canyon is 120 miles long, as much as 20 miles wide, and has a maximum depth of more than 800 feet. Its elevation at the rim is 3,500 feet above sea level. It is often claimed that Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon in the United States. The largest, the Grand Canyon, is 277 miles long, 18 miles wide, and 6,000 ft. deep."

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnester View Post
Camper_bob Going there to visit my son who moved there this spring.
That'd be a really good reason to go there.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Big Texan. We ate breakfast there, and it was pretty good, but not spectacular. The place is HUGE though, and the gift shop is neat. They gave my son a cowboy had that he didn't take off for 3 days! LOL!! That free steak reminds me of John Candy in "The Great Outdoors"!

The Cadillac Ranch is also an interesting stop. I hadn't seen it before we went there last year. It's definitely a novelty, but it's worth an hour max. Bring some rattle cans if you're into that kind of thing. We saw it, checked it off the "list".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Mtnester,

If you have some time check out Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It is just outside Amarillo.

"The Canyon is 120 miles long, as much as 20 miles wide, and has a maximum depth of more than 800 feet. Its elevation at the rim is 3,500 feet above sea level. It is often claimed that Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon in the United States. The largest, the Grand Canyon, is 277 miles long, 18 miles wide, and 6,000 ft. deep."

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
It's been called "Texas' Grand Canyon". Next time we go through there, I'm going to schedule a stop.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #13

Don't know about the route, but I would recommend spending a day or two at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. If the musical "Texas" is still playing at the outdoor amphitheatre inside the park when you swing through, that would be highly recommended. Not much to do in that part of the state, but the Big Texan Steakhouse is a nice tourist trap.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #14

Thanks for the info everybody.

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk