Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #1

Amish made?

I would think if the Amish have anything to do with Jayco products you would think they would know how to properly build the cabinet doors. Staying in dry AZ for three months caused the door panels to shrink showing unstained white wood on the edges. Now I use to build cabinets, and would stain the edges of the panels about 1/2" before assembling them, then stain the rest of the doors. This prevents the problem of unstained wood showing. Guess I'll have to go to Indiana and school the Amish on how to do it right.

Now I'll have the problem of getting some stain to match from the dealer, or Jayco. O well, will probable have to mix up some myself when we get back home. heading back home tomorrow, sigh.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

The claim of Amish built quality is a joke when it comes to RVs. True, many RV manufacturers have Amish workers but the Amish do not design the RVs and the Amish workers have to work at the same frenetic pace on the assembly lines as "English" workers and simply cannot take the time to do quality work.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #3

I can attest to the fact that many Amish workers have been displaced by "cheaper" labor.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

When we took the factory tour, all of the workers that we saw were Amish (it was fun to see the buggies and old style bikes parked outside of the factory), and we weren't allowed to photograph their faces. We were told that the majority of the workers start there when the were old enough, and stay till retirement. There is little turn over, as the majority stay there.

That being said, they work with materials that they are given. There is no time constraint, as they come in early and go home when the days jobs are completed.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Amish Quality Hype by Dealers

Yeah, if they finish their production quota by end of last shift on Thursday they don't have to come to work on Friday. Was told this in person by Jayco Museum Front Desk staff as we were present at 11 AM on Friday to see a production run
that didn't run. Go figure!!! What quality?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Jayco does not make their doors, they purchase them from a local mfg.. I believe they make the doors for many companies, and, I'm not sure they finish them. Hence, can't stain them before assembly. When staining you can also use an air gun to "push" the stain under the mortise of the door frame, this also prevents white wood from showing when the doors shrink from low humidity.

Also being in Az I suggest when your RV is stored you place several buckets of water inside the unit. This will help add a small amount of humidity to the unit.

Also, warranty is tracked back to the "team" that made the unit. Too many warranty issues and the "team" is penalized. The incentive is to do it fast but correct. But they are humans and humans have good days and bad days...people get sick others fill in etc. Overall Jayco does as well as any company in their quality and standards.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Ever walk through a store that sells Amish furniture? Ever see REAL Amish furniture, the stuff they make for their own homes? Simple and functional.

The short answer is that they are poor finish carpenters.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

You won't find such poor furniture building practices in Amish furniture. Heck, you would not find such sloppy building practices in a house. Nailing through outside cabinet faces and trim pieces? Using pocket hole screws?

No, it may be assembled by Amish, but to use Amish build quality in the same breath is heresy.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #9

Two things to remember---men make mistakes and machines fail.

Living in Lancaster county Pa. What the Amish make here is real wood products that are extremely well made. Remember they are on a production line and must meet a quota so speed is of the essence--get it done and out the door!
Quality control?
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
snip...
Also, warranty is tracked back to the "team" that made the unit. Too many warranty issues and the "team" is penalized. The incentive is to do it fast but correct. ...snip
I did not know that! This is good reason to have the dealer address warranty items. If it isn't reported to Jayco, there is nothing tracked back to the process/machine/person/team that isn't doing it right.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #11

Like so many other items we have discussed on this forum, Jayco and their employees could certainly build the ultimate RV. Perfect in every way, with nothing but the best craftsmanship and material. Sadly not a single person on this forum (ok maybe one or two) would ever purchase that unit at the price it would cost. They make a good product at a fair price with the knowledge that most of their units will be used for a few weeks or a month a year. I have made the mistake of over improving several homes. I built and did things I wanted, and to my satisfaction. The cost of which I could never get paid for.

In my shop we made all wood cabinets and we made cabinets using furniture board and vinyl interiors. The vinyl outsold the all wood (which was only about 15% more) 6 or 7 to one. On the outside they all looked alike. I would get asked if the all wood would hold up better, I could not honestly say they would. I saw cabinets I did ruined in a year and the next house 15 years later looked like new. Had little to do with the construction of the cabinet, had everything to do with the use and maintenance of the unit. Same with RV's.

If Jayco put the best tires, best axels, best brakes, best cabinets, best fans, and lighting and TV's and beds, best materials for floor, and roofs and side walls, all the little "I wish" items... none of us would purchase them.

There are plenty of high end coach builders if money is no issue. You can get exactly what you want and how you want it. When your buying a cost efficient mass produced product, something has to give. You can get quality, or craftsmanship or low cost, but you can't get all of them. JMHO.

I am a happy Jayco owner... besides, if they did everything I would have nothing to "mod" and would just continue to drive the DW even crazier.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
snip... You can get quality, or craftsmanship or low cost, but you can't get all of them. JMHO.

I am a happy Jayco owner. ...snip
IIRC, years ago the quote I saw was that you can have
quality, cheap, or fast... pick two.

I am a happy Jayco owner, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #13

Determine the number and types of cabinets in your 5er or travel trailer.
Now take those numbers and types to a cabinet maker and ask him to price out what it will cost you.

Now you know why Jayco builds cabinets like they do.
I have no major complaints with my Jayco cabinets or my travel trailer.
I got what I paid for, and am happy with my purchase.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Determine the number and types of cabinets in your 5er or travel trailer.
Now take those numbers and types to a cabinet maker and ask him to price out what it will cost you.

Now you know why Jayco builds cabinets like they do.
I have no major complaints with my Jayco cabinets or my travel trailer.
I got what I paid for, and am happy with my purchase.
AND they have the constraint that everything needs to be as light as possible, and that it all needs to survive the "moving earthquake" of towing. I'm pretty amazed at the overall value and overall success, given all the complexities involved.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Like so many other items we have discussed on this forum, Jayco and their employees could certainly build the ultimate RV. Perfect in every way, with nothing but the best craftsmanship and material. Sadly not a single person on this forum (ok maybe one or two) would ever purchase that unit at the price it would cost. They make a good product at a fair price with the knowledge that most of their units will be used for a few weeks or a month a year. I have made the mistake of over improving several homes. I built and did things I wanted, and to my satisfaction. The cost of which I could never get paid for.

In my shop we made all wood cabinets and we made cabinets using furniture board and vinyl interiors. The vinyl outsold the all wood (which was only about 15% more) 6 or 7 to one. On the outside they all looked alike. I would get asked if the all wood would hold up better, I could not honestly say they would. I saw cabinets I did ruined in a year and the next house 15 years later looked like new. Had little to do with the construction of the cabinet, had everything to do with the use and maintenance of the unit. Same with RV's.

If Jayco put the best tires, best axels, best brakes, best cabinets, best fans, and lighting and TV's and beds, best materials for floor, and roofs and side walls, all the little "I wish" items... none of us would purchase them.

There are plenty of high end coach builders if money is no issue. You can get exactly what you want and how you want it. When your buying a cost efficient mass produced product, something has to give. You can get quality, or craftsmanship or low cost, but you can't get all of them. JMHO.

I am a happy Jayco owner... besides, if they did everything I would have nothing to "mod" and would just continue to drive the DW even crazier.
Very well said, you get what you pay for. Love my Jayco and the Mods that make it mine.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I am still working on the "Amish Craftsmanship" cabinets on the 2005 Jay Feather 29Y.
In order to hang a jacket in the front closets you have to fold it first and then hang it. There is still 8" above the top of the closet it is just a poor design. After taking things apart (a million staples) I re-glued the frames again. I salvage all the material and will screw everything together so for whatever reason it is better removable. And what need to be pinned or stapled I will. At least I can hang a jacket the normal way.
The upper cabinets where installed crooked so had to adjust that too. The front window is 3/8" off so that has to come out and re-installed. Lots of projects in this trailer. When I'm done she will last my time (till 100...lol). It has a nice layout and love the light weight of this 31 ft. unit.
I went to two sway bars as the 60 mph. wind plays with this unit very easy. Sway didn't bother with passing semi's.
We love this Jayco after we have taken it for a 8 day trip. The Torflex axles give a smooth ride. And what need to be made perfect so be it and will be done.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #17

Quote:

In my shop we matde all wood cabinets and we made cabinets using furniture board and vinyl interiors. The vinyl outsold the all wood (which was only about 15% more) 6 or 7 to one. On the outside they all looked alike. I would get asked if the all wood would hold up better, I could not honestly say they would. I saw cabinets I did ruined in a year and the next house 15 years later looked like new. Had little to do with the construction of the cabinet, had everything to do with the use and maintenance of the unit. Same with RV's.

Amen!! The cabinets in our Jayco are not the finest quality money can buy. I didn't pay for that!! But they are doing exactly what they should do. A minor repair from time to time is expected. How many earth quakes can you have before something needs attention?? I am truly amazed that things hold up as well as they do!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:

Also being in Az I suggest when your RV is stored you place several buckets of water inside the unit. This will help add a small amount of humidity to the unit.
It wasn't stored in AZ, we spent the winter there living in it, now heading back to IL. In USA RC Park in Gallup, NM at this moment.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #19

Isn't it interesting how often the first (and sometimes last) post is bashing Jayco.....just saying....

Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #20

The smallest bit of research before the purchase will prepare you for the reality of RV quality.

Lack of quality construction is an industry issue, not just Jayco.

And please tell me you didn't believe what a salesman told you. I spent many an hour on the internet researching before I even walked into a dealership. Go to YouTube and type in Jayco. There are videos of RV assembly.

An educated buyer knows what he is walking in to and knows what to expect and what to look for.
Closed Thread