Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #1

Amps at Rest

I am trying to figure out if my batteries are working as they should be. With a full charge, I unplugged two days ago and this morning I have a reading of 12.3 volts on my inverter. Nothing besides the inverter was switched on.

With the inverter on and nothing else switched on I took a current reading off the two leads coming off the positive terminal and I got a reading of about 3.8 amps on the lead going to the selinoid and about 0.8 amps on the other.

Does 4.5 amps seem like a normal amperage draw with nothing but the “always on” devices?

Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

Mark,
Do you have a way to check voltage and current draw with the inverter off? Inverters, if turned on, consume current even without a load on the 120-volt side. I know your inverter is different than my Xantrex which I can turn completely off at my control panel.

I think that amp draw level with nothing on is excessive imho and will draw your batteries down in short order if not constantly plugged in and charging.

I checked mine some time ago with everything "off" and had about .75 amp draw at the coach batteries.

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

Even with nothing on the appliances are all drawing a little bit. With 3 tv's on standby, video control box on, dvd player and Satellite box (if you have one) on standby and microwave oven is on. each unit has a minimal draw but all added up may be more than you might expect but I have never tested it. You may go around and unplug all these and test the draw.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Are you trying to determine if your battery is good or if the inverter is doing it's job of converting 12v dc current to 110 outlet power??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

The inverter is working like it supposed to. It just seems like my batteries go down quickly, especially considering I replaced the originals with four 6 volt golf car batteries. I am just wondering how large a parasitic draw is normal. I am also trying to find out how much power the inverter uses at “idle”.

I am dropping to about 12.3 volts, or 50%, in two days with only the inverter on and the attached appliances switched off.

I ordered a new DC clamp on Amp meter which will be here Saturday, thank you Amazon. Lol. I should be able to find some answers then.

And yes Rob, it does seem excessive. I’ll be able to test all the different states with the new meter.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Acording to the Magnum-Dimensions tech person I just spoke to, the CSW-2012X inverter used on my Seneca, uses about 2.5 amps on its own. Add in the TVs and microwave in stand by and I guess 4.5 amps is not out of the question.

I guess that would explain why my batteries go down quicker than I expected.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

No "easy" way to just turn it off Mark? If not you may have to consider a true battery master cutoff switch like you likely had on your older, non-computerized fire trucks. That way you would have zero draw on the house batteries when not plugged in. It wouldn't affect the Freightliner modules since those are on the chassis batteries.

If I were doing it I would put it on the negative side. It would have to support big amps since the inverter is a huge draw at times. We used to use Cole-Hersee switches in Akron and those passed enough amps to crank over cold 8V-92 Detroit Diesels in our rigs!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

Thanks Rob. Yes, I can power off the inverter at the panel. When I get my meter I will go through all the different scenarios.

Most of the time it will not be an issue. When “off the grid” I can turn the inverter on as needed to preserve battery power.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
No "easy" way to just turn it off Mark? If not you may have to consider a true battery master cutoff switch like you likely had on your older, non-computerized fire trucks. That way you would have zero draw on the house batteries when not plugged in. It wouldn't affect the Freightliner modules since those are on the chassis batteries.

If I were doing it I would put it on the negative side. It would have to support big amps since the inverter is a huge draw at times. We used to use Cole-Hersee switches in Akron and those passed enough amps to crank over cold 8V-92 Detroit Diesels in our rigs!
What about putting the cutoff switch in only the Inverter Power cable since that seems to be the culprit?

Our Xantrex has dedicated cables from the inverter to the battery bank. I am assuming that the later model units are the same.
2007 Toyota FJC - on the trailer

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
What about putting the cutoff switch in only the Inverter Power cable since that seems to be the culprit?

Our Xantrex has dedicated cables from the inverter to the battery bank. I am assuming that the later model units are the same.
I do have a power shut off on the inverter panel. This weekend I will test to see what draws what.