Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #1

Another newbie question this time about propane

It's darn cold here in Ontario at the moment and loading up the motorhome we have run the furnace. Now we need to know how long propane lasts and how do we refill it? I'm realizing our walk through was not detailed enough.
-also what is the little grey key for
- should input gas line antifreeze in the tank
- can I use lock deicer for frozen compartments

2019 Greyhawk MV

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm sure I will have a dozen more questions
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
RPR

Propane useage. Depends on much you use the stove, run furnace, hot water on electric or gas etc. check the gauge on the tank at outside compartment every day till you get a feel as to how much. Tank will read 3/4 full when filled up. Certain amount of air has to be in tank. You can stop at places that cell propane and get tank filled. Some campground search sites will shown on map some places to get it. Some campgrounds can fill the tank. Search the web. The little gray key may be to lock the compartments
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks that helps a lot as the gauge is just under 3/4 so know I know a bit more on useage. Nope grey key fits nothing. Our dealers service tech is coming out tomorrow to fix slide (if the storm ever stops). I will ask him and get more info on things we don't know
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

I’ve noticed that some owners carry a 3rd tank that’s stored in the truck so when they run into town and their by themselves the rest of the family is not inconvenienced.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
RPR

True with TT but this a Motorhome and tank not portable
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Your propane will probably last longer than you are expecting to. I fill my propane on average once a year. Our RV usage includes about 5 to 7 weekend trips per year, and 2 week long trips per year. With that said, we are in So Cal. and don't just the furnace much. My house is on propane, so when my RV needs a fill, I leave a note for the propane guy on my house propane tank to please fill my RV while he is at the house.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

Totally dependant on the amount of furnace operation. I can go all summer on a very small amount of propane but in the spring, fall and winter i can go through the tank in less than a week and sometimes three or four days.
a gallon of propane is about 90,000 btu, I think your tank is same as on the seneca 56 lbs which is about 12-13 gallons which is about 75% full. not sure the size of your furnace but mine is 35000 btu so if the unit ran constantly it would take about 30 hours to suck the thing dry. Even as leaky as these units are the furnace only runs about 20-30 % of the time when the temp is in the 20'f. The lower the temp and any wind will significantly increase the amount of time the furnace is running.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

Starting to relax a bit with all this help. Also learned when we are driving I can use the genorator and our electric heater to help heat the box.

You people are the best
Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #9

with temperatures in the mid-teens (*F) our furnace runs almost continuously. I'd estimate 3 days maybe 4 with a full tank.

during the summer months, a full tank lasts all summer.