Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #21

Keeping my SENECA plugged in.

I keep my SENECA plugged in during the winter also. It does not charge the chassis batteries though. I start the unit every two weeks and let it come up to temperature. I also run the generator for 10 minutes at the same time, and run the jacks down and back up (like the owners manual states).
I dump anti gel additive in both tanks so the diesel fuel is always ready to go if we decide to take a road trip during the winter.
You should rack out the house batteries and check the water level. It's surprising how low the level goes since it is charging all the time. I fill them back up with distilled water.
South Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #22

Ok yea be better to do that but not..
This is winter land now dirty roads if I start up and drive it it be to go south only
So from what I am learning from other posts that plugging it in will keep the battery charged anyway so won’t need start it much at all
Don’t understand about this inverter better to leave turned off 🤔 so where’s the switch all I see on 2019 Senaca is FREEDOM X CONTROL PANEL one above and one in the basement I turn it off and doesn’t go off
Is there a switch somewhere?
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #23

I have a question I also have a 2017 Seneca Where do I disconnect the Inverter? I am having issues with my Chassis batteries going dead after a few days in storage I do not have any power at my storage facility so it is not plugged in and I am getting my chassis batteries dead.
Scott townley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott townley View Post
I have a question I also have a 2017 Seneca Where do I disconnect the Inverter? I am having issues with my Chassis batteries going dead after a few days in storage I do not have any power at my storage facility so it is not plugged in and I am getting my chassis batteries dead.
Inverter is wired directly to your House batteries, not your undercab chassis batteries.

The connection between your chassis and house batteries is a device known as the "Battery Isolation Manager" or BIM. It allows the engine alternator to charge the house batteries while driving, and conversely allows the converter to charge the chassis batteries when you are parked and plugged-in. Normally when there is no charging current from either the engine or the converter, the BIM keeps the two sets of batteries isolated. But the BIM's can and do go bad. So if you are concerned there is a draw from the "house" side that is draining the chassis batteries, you could (carefully) disconnect the cable from the chassis batteries at the BIM to truly isolate the two battery systems as a test.

A few owners have had trouble with their multiplexed chassis electrical systems causing excessive current draw when shut off. It can be a problem with modules that fail to "go to sleep", causing a continuous electrical draw. There always will be some draw, but it should be minimal. Do you have any means to check current draw? Access to a clamp-on DC ammeter? Have you tried just disconnecting the negative connections of your chassis batteries to see if when you come back the batteries are still charged? Fairly easy to get at the negtive connections.

Here is a picture of your BIM I mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
00-10021-000_-1024x893.jpg   BIM location pic.jpg   Chassis batteries.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #25

Thank you for the detailed reply. Can I just replace the BIM. is that hard to do?? Thank you.
I have seen it. It is easy to get to on my unit.
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott townley View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply. Can I just replace the BIM. is that hard to do?? Thank you.
I have seen it. It is easy to get to on my unit.
Before I would condemn it I would test it, here are testing instructions from the manufacturer, Precision Circuits.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery-Isolation-Manager-Trouble-Shooting.pdf (328.3 KB, 5 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #27

Thanks. Will do. Appreciate the help.