Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #221

In order to replace the floor properly like it was originally done at the factory, wouldn’t they have to gut the RV completely? The first thing they do even before installing walls, is laying the flooring. Have they changed the adhesive that they used originally? If not, won’t it just happen again?
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #222

All my thoughts exactly. Another big question is... what if you decide to leave it alone... What happens at trade in or if someone comes to buy it ???
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #223

Exactly! Jayco has to address this and make it right for all of us that are experiencing this issue.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #224

Maybe I will know more next week when I talk to service at LaMesa RV. There are several screws coming up through the vinyl as well, also the front shade is ripped, a ceiling light is out, a brake light flickers, and an exterior screw is pushing out the moulding. This ought to be an interesting trip. we will see how good Jayco service is !!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #225

With all that going including the floor, I would want either my money back, or a new replacement.

Your resale value would take a big hit, if the floor isn't fixed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7489 View Post
Maybe I will know more next week when I talk to service at LaMesa RV. There are several screws coming up through the vinyl as well, also the front shade is ripped, a ceiling light is out, a brake light flickers, and an exterior screw is pushing out the moulding. This ought to be an interesting trip. we will see how good Jayco service is !!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #226

The Rv industry does not give you your money back or give you a new unit. They will try to fix the problem (some will), wait till the warranty expires or you do.
In my case Jayco said they cannot fix the problem by cleaning he floor and this has happened on quite a few units so I think they are going to approve a new floor. The service tech at LaMesa stated that after sending in pictures, they approve the work, then they ship a roll of flooring. Then the service people use the old floor as a template to cut the new the floor and start to install it. Its about a 30 hr job. All in all I don't see getting the RV back for at least a month. I the meantime while waiting for the floor they can fix other issues and replace the front shade.
Again, we will will see.
Jim
Old 10-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I did a quickie modification to the rain gutter system. It drove me nuts when the rig was front down, that rain water or A/C runoff would drip right at the cab entry doors or even worse, would drip right next to the coach entry door, and would make a mud puddle and splash the entry step.

So, I ordered some peel and stick gutter material, and ran it off the front of the cabover. It was a little different then the OEM stuff, as it didn't have the track for the awnings (which I didn't need). (see picture below)

We were out this weekend, and it was raining when we pulled in to set up. The rig was sitting pretty level, so I left it as is, with just a slight forward lean, instead of playing with the Lego blocks.

The rain was running off the front, and ran right down these new gutter, completely away from the passenger side doors. Then, when the A/C was on, that water ran off the nose too. No puddles by the entry doors. Also, no more black lines running down the cabover at the end of the gutter.

Oh, another item I've noticed on our rigs. The slide awning must have a weak spring and doesn't drain off, and water collects and causes a hammock effect on it. I had to go up on the roof and sweep the water off that awning over the slide. FYI if you camp when it's raining.

We did this mod and it is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for sharing it!!!
Mjliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #228

I posted this elsewhere but didn't get any response. Is anyone still looking at this thread besides me? I keep it open all the time for reference. We have a 'new-to-us' 2019 Redhawk 24B.

Recently picked up a new-to-us 2019 Redhawk 24B and love it so far (only 1 month in). But I cannot stand that we can’t get into the rear wardrobe at all without opening the slide. Has anyone remodeled theirs? Was actually in love with the Conquest 6250 more than the Jayco, as it gave up the silly cabinet next to the dinette and expanded the wardrobe space instead - with a barn door!! But we did not want a new-new rig. Any ideas are welcome! TIA.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #229

Next question (although I could just be talking to myself ) - our rig came with 4 solar panels on the roof and 2 Battle Born 100AH batteries under the bed along with a 2000W inverter. Best I can tell all these can be used for is running the lights as they don’t provide enough oomph for anything else. There are no batteries under the stair as one would expect. Has anyone upgraded their system to something ‘useful’? If so, how many batteries/what size inverter did it take to get there? I’m sure there are solar threads elsewhere but obviously I’m concerned with our 24B specifically.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #230

Well, no one answered so we ended up with a very expensive training session from a local shop. Seems the solar was not from the factory, and in order for it to work properly, and use the inverter, 2 fuses have to be turned off before the inverter is turned on. No documentation/explanation anywhere with the coach. Oh well - at least now we know the system works, and it can actually run the slide, A/C, microwave, etc. Just need more batteries so it will run for a longer time period.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #231

Hi,
Sorry you didn’t get the responses as you wished. The thread goes back a few years, but somehow I missed your post.

We have a 2020 Redhawk 24B. We bought it new, just before the pandemic. I’ll just answer your latest question.

When we bought the rig, we had the dealer install a 570 watt Go Power solar system. That system included a 3000 watt inverter, solar controller, and four 224aH AGM batteries. We almost always dry camp, and found that we needed more battery capacity. Last year we replaced the AGM batteries with six 100aH Battleborn batteries (installed in the cargo bay near the gas cap/water/outdoor shower). We added two DC-DC chargers, replaced the Go Power controller with a Victron, and added a Victron battery monitor.

It’s only been one year, but we’ve been very happy with the set up. I don’t drive my DW crazy about electrical usage. I don’t get the low voltage error message on the refrigerator any more. I rarely go below 90% state of charge (SOC). I haven’t tried using the batteries for A/C or microwave. I just use the genny for those items. Although we live in California, we’re way up north where we have four seasons. It goes below freezing at night. The batteries have performed as expected. My GFI circuit breaker trips when I turn on the inverter, but we rarely use that plug so I switched that circuit breaker off. I’ll get it looked at next month.

In about six weeks we’ll get Bigfoot automatic levelers installed. We were using Lego blocks, but we’ve grown tired of the constant fiddling around get level and making sure the wheels are all the way on the blocks. In September we’ll replace the Schwintech slide system with Vroom. You have probably read about problems with the large room slide on the 24B.

If we had to do it over, we’d try to avoid a rig with a large slide, but you can’t beat the CCC of this unit. Since we dry camp a lot, we bring our own water and that weighs 300+ lbs. by itself. We also like the length. With all our stuff (including the dog!) I’m 400lbs. underweight on the front axle and 800 lbs. underweight on the rear axle. So in the end we’re happy. If Vroom resolves the slide issue, we won’t have any complaints.

David
2019 Hummingbird MBS SOLD!
1 spoiled dog
cheverly262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #232

Please keep us posted on the Vroom upgrade. I hold my breath every time I use my 24B slide. Sometimes I get a loud pop and think it is going to quit working. I have thought about the Vroom upgrade, but I was always concerned about the cost. Have you gotten a quote yet?
Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork in the road View Post
Please keep us posted on the Vroom upgrade. I hold my breath every time I use my 24B slide. Sometimes I get a loud pop and think it is going to quit working. I have thought about the Vroom upgrade, but I was always concerned about the cost. Have you gotten a quote yet?
I'll keep you informed. They quoted me a price of $4,500. It's a bit steep, but soon I'll be out of warranty and something seems to go wrong toward the end of every season. Like you, I hold my breath every time I push the "extend" button. Last year it worked great... until it didn't.
1 spoiled dog
Old 01-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #234

Thanks for all the info!! I'm torn between spending the $$ on additional Battle Borns or looking at less expensive, but purportedly just as good Renogys, to add to our system. We may also swap out the panels themselves for larger capacity ones since we live in TX and have a good amount of sun most of the time.

We just installed the SuperSteer sway bars and Bilstein shocks and couldn't be happier. We're also looking at the BigFoot Leveler system, but haven't decided if we'll do it ourselves or make a run to FL for them. Installation labor costs just as much as the system around here.

So far, we've had no issue with the slide, nor did the previous owners to our knowledge, other than it 'eating' part of the weatherstripping around it (just had that replaced). I honestly don't know about the Vroom system, but read all sorts of issues with the system installed in the original Thor models. That's one reason we went specficially with a 2019 Jayco so as to avoid those concerns. I realize there's never a perfect mechanical anything, so I'll also be curious about the Vroom setup (and will look it up!!).

Can I assume you all just work with the lack of access to the rear wardrobe when the slide's in? I'm playing with various designs to get around that and am certainly looking for input. So far that's my biggest complaint with this rig.

Be safe all!
Margo
Old 01-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #235

Did a quick search on the Vroom system - looks strong and sturdy! But man! a price increase from $2800 to $4500 in 6 months?! I know the supply chain and inflation are a real issue, but ..... wow!
Old 01-29-2023, 10:54 PM   #236

Yes, that's quite a price increase. But when you're got a hot product, that's how it goes. It's better than losing a year of camping. I took my rig in for this repair in September, and it won't be fixed until February. I had to wait for warranty authorization and parts. Plus my service center isn't as efficient as they used to be - but that's another story.

We had the Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Helwig sway bar installed upon delivery. I think the ride is pretty reasonable. It gets a little dicey with winds over 20 mph, but it’s not too bad. I haven’t driven in conditions more windy than that, but based on what I’ve read here in the forum those conditions should be avoided.

I don’t have the tools or technical expertise to install the Bigfoot levelers myself. I have to drive four hours to the nearest authorized dealer, but that’s the deal when you live in rural America. (We retired from the Bay Area and never looked back.)

For solar power we have three 190 watt panels. It seems to do the trick. Our longest trip last year was 10 days – no hookups. They system worked fine with plenty of capacity. We just used the generator for the A/C. I’d check with an expert on mixing battery brands. From what I’ve read it’s not recommended due to their different chemistries.

We just work around the wardrobe issue. Since we live in fire country (three evacuations in two years) and the rig is our escape vehicle, we keep a weeks’ worth of clothes inside at all times. We can get the left side closet open enough to pack clothes. We can just put extras on the bed and put them away upon arrival.

Thanks for the heads up on the issues with Thor. I read a bunch of posts. It looks like most of the problems are with older models and/or those with slides over 20’ long. Our rig is a 2020 and the slide is 15’6”. I’ll keep my eye on it, so although I have an install date (9/28) I haven’t been asked to pay a deposit. So I guess for now we have an out.

Thanks for your posts to the forum!

David
1 spoiled dog
Old 02-25-2023, 11:31 PM   #237

I’ve been adding clothing to leave in the rig as well as we have our own bug out concerns, and the bed will forever be the ‘catch all’ for extra stuff but there are certain items that we would like to be able to store in that wardrobe that could require ‘quick access’ shall we say. I’ll let you all know if I ever come up with a solution!

Has anyone found a decent replacement for the convection microwave? I don’t know if ours is defective or what, but it takes almost 8 minutes to boil a mug of water for tea and just forget trying to make toast. Add to that, I’d love to get rid of that HUGE ventahood as it is very much in the way when cooking on the stove. I realized the newer models narrowed the upper cabinets over the sink to accommodate the newer/larger model that has the vent/light built into the bottom, but I’m not prepared to go that far for a remodel at this point. By the way - we accidentally figured out that the ventahood doesn’t actually vent outside unless you open the cover on the outside of the rig. Not exactly sure why that’s a necessary piece of plastic, but at least now we know (and will add it to the arrival/departure procedures).

In the meantime, I posted the following in the ‘what did you do today’ thread but will repost here as we’ve been busy and it might stir some mods:

Wish I could find the post I stole this mod from to thank them ..... put piano hinges on the fronts of my u-shaped dinette seats so can now easily access the HUGE storage spaces underneath. Picked up some inexpensive soft baskets from the discount store for one side - now the perfect place to store shoes as it is across from the entry (and still space leftover!). Considering removing the seatbelts and their full attachments as we don’t ever plan to have anyone ride back there. This would give even more accessible space from the front.

The DH pulled the kitchen sink in prep for the replacement (goodbye small double bowl silliness!) and we measured, measured and measured again to make sure the new, gorgeous workstation sink will fit (Kraus KWT310-28). Also swapping the basic faucet for one with the pulldown sprayer.

Got everything ready from a structural sense to replace the drawer under the cooktop with a built-in space for the Black-Friday-purchased combo convection oven-toaster-air fryer. I do what I can so the DH has less to do (ours didn’t come with an oven).

Removed the useless ‘accessory pulldown’ (not sure what you call that thing - fake drawer front to hold sponges, I guess?) and prepped everything to replace with a _real_ top drawer for kitchen utensils. Using the drawer from under the cooktop for all of the materials for this one.

That’s all for now!
1985 Champion SuperFisher
Old 02-26-2023, 11:53 AM   #238

Sounds like you have been busy! I have been thinking about the piano hinge solution also. Glad to hear it works.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #239

24B comments

The minute my wife saw this floor plan, we started trying to find one to sit in. We wound up trading a 3 year older Winnebago class A to get the one we found.
So far 1200 miles on it… very pleased. I had the leveling jacks added, and I’m glad we did. Jayco workmanship is better than I expected. So far, like the dealer, too.
ShoreGrass
shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #240

My 2022 had a LOT of bugs, which I have fixed ( I posted a couple of threads here). The biggest issue was the slide. Dealer made it worse so I fixed it myself. I am not 100% sure but the root cause of the slide issue may have been failure to engage the support Rollers under the dinette.

I want to install 6V golf cart batteries but the battery compartment is not tall enough. Has anyone found a way to convert to 6V batteries?
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote