Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Any reason can't I run the Greyhawk leveler system from the house battery

The leveler runs on the starting battery, by the time the power gets to the leveler, it gives me low-voltage warnings and won't work. I have to start the engine to get it to work.

Seems to me that house battery is only 12" away and would be a much better choice.

Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:15 PM   #2

If it's a Lippert system the engine should be running.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
The leveler runs on the starting battery, by the time the power gets to the leveler, it gives me low-voltage warnings and won't work. I have to start the engine to get it to work.

Seems to me that house battery is only 12" away and would be a much better choice.

The wiring diagram for a 2013 GreyHawk (which seems to be the same for many years before and after) show the levelers running off of the coach battery(s). Perhaps someone re-wired yours or something else is not happening as it should. Keep in mind that the coach battery(s) also receive power from the chassis battery when the key is on, which could account for what you are describing if the coach battery(s) were low on charge. (I remember you added a ??? forgot what you used, but that additional component could change what I am saying).

Do you have the wiring schematic? If not let me know and I will try to find it and share it with you, it is also shared in the forums in some posts, but again what I have seen was for a 2013 GreyHawk so different year models certainly could be different. ~CA
Old 06-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #4

My Lippert leveling system on my 2016 runs off the house battery, not the chassis/engine battery. Like Craig said, maybe someone changed something on yours?
Old 06-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #5

Ours receives it power off the house battery as well
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #6

I have a 2013 greyhawk and always used the coach\house battery for my levelers.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
CAG

Mine will not work without the engine running. I think you are doing something wrong.

The engine must be running and the emergency brake engages before the leveling system will run.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #8

I have attached a wiring schematic for my Greyhawk that shows the levelers as being powered by the house battery. I had always thought it was powered by the engine battery because the levelers would operate even with the battery disconnect switch in the off position. Looking at the schematic shows they use a dedicated wire to the battery independent of the cut off switch.

When you start your engine you are also charging your coach battery. To see where the voltage is being lost will require a voltmeter. With the engine off put the voltmeter across the house battery and take a reading. Activate the levelers while watching the meter. If the battery reading drops real low your battery is weak. If the battery maintains mid 12s voltage you probably are losing the voltage in the wiring run.

Look for clean tight cable connections on both ends of the positive feed. Also check the ground connections.

Starting the engine will typically only give you a couple of extra volts unless the battery is real weak. Apparently it is just enough to get above the low voltage threshold.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco 12V Chassis.pdf (448.1 KB, 12 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
With the engine off put the voltmeter across the house battery and take a reading. Activate the levelers while watching the meter. If the battery reading drops real low your battery is weak. If the battery maintains mid 12s voltage you probably are losing the voltage in the wiring run.

Look for clean tight cable connections on both ends of the positive feed. Also check the ground connections.
^^^This is good advice! Remember that the leveler pump also has it's own ground.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:23 AM   #10

Thanks everyone.

1. It is obviously currently connected to the engine battery. If the ignition is off the display won't turn on. I have a permanent LED voltmeter on the house battery, it was showing 12.7.

2. Engine battery was also 12.7 and the control turns on if the ignition is on but drops out as soon as a load is applied. Obviously the cables from the engine battery are inadequate. Perhaps starting the engine gets an extra volt that makes it work.

3. Since both circuits are available in the same cavity it will be a simple job to re-wire it to run off the house battery.

I have concluded that the reason for running the entrance step and the jacks off the engine battery was an attempt to make step and levelers retract automatically if you started the engine. The remnants of that system on the step are still there. There could be some remaining circuitry that detected that you actually started the engine that was suppose to automatically retract the levelers and that is what is currently enabling the control only if the engine is running.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #11

not sure what year yours is but;

1) the leveler display will not turn on unless the keys are turned to on. the power for the hydraulics are still from house battery.
2) it could be a bad battery. after lead acid batteries deteriorate the say they are full or close voltage wise, but they cannot sustain any discharge. they go straight from 12v to 10v. The alternator may be charging the house battery enough when the engine is running to use the levelers.

Low voltage could also be a bad ground. A number of users (including me) had the ground cable crack that connects to the hydraulic motor causing this error. Fixing the cracked connector resolved the issue.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
not sure what year yours is but;

1) the leveler display will not turn on unless the keys are turned to on. the power for the hydraulics are still from house battery.
2) it could be a bad battery. after lead acid batteries deteriorate the say they are full or close voltage wise, but they cannot sustain any discharge. they go straight from 12v to 10v. The alternator may be charging the house battery enough when the engine is running to use the levelers.

Low voltage could also be a bad ground. A number of users (including me) had the ground cable crack that connects to the hydraulic motor causing this error. Fixing the cracked connector resolved the issue.
My 2017 Greyhawk 29MV is obviously connected to my house battery. I do not have to have the key on to enable the leveling system.

As an aside, my steps retract when I start the engine no matter where the power step switch is positioned. I have not paid any attention to whether it takes starting the engine or just turning the ignition on. This is my 3rd MH and all of them worked the same way.

Obviously there are differences among the different Jayco products, which I find surprising.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy View Post
Obviously there are differences among the different Jayco products, which I find surprising.

I'm surprised by that as well and would think it's a Build Flaw. The schematics seem to be common across their Class Cs and unchanged since 2013.

My levelers: connected to house; engine can be off, parking brake must be on
Old 07-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #14

Bad ground

My Jayco had the same problem, went to jump the house battery and found the ground cable loose, tightened it and problem solved. Clean and tighten battery connections, might be the problem.
GRCAMPTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #15

Levelers showing low batt

My 2015 greyhawk would operate on the house batt if fully charged, and a good battery, if not I had to start the engine .
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote