Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Applause for Quality (not)

Today, I am cruising down the road, cruise on about 70, just enjoying the drive in my 2016 Greyhawk. I start to hear something tapping behind me (other than the usual noises). I look over my shoulder and see the front window over the dinette open. I have NEVER opened this window and it was just me and my dog... I am pretty sure she didn't do it, she has no thumbs. I pulled over real quick and jumped over there and closed it. I still have no clue how it opened. A little later, I hear a loud flap and it is loose and flapping in the breeze... I am just lucky and happy it didn't break!

I pulled over fast and jumped back there to see what happened and the arms are just sitting there. The disc looking thing on one is broken and the other is gone. I could not figure out what to do. I took a bungee cord and wrapped it around the little ledge on the bottom of the frame, pulled it in and hooked another bungee cord and hooked that one to the bottom of the table. I was 75 miles from someplace to try and figure out how to secure it. I drove that 75 miles at 55 mph because it would start to open faster than that. I went to a hardware store and bought blue painter's tape and taped it close. Of course, it was 4:55 pm on a Friday and I was about 1100 miles from home. It has made it about 250 miles and I am sure I will add tape to it tomorrow. It may ruin the paint, but otherwise, I can't get home (and also I can't wait the 4 months most dealers require to do anything).

The one next to it came loose a couple of months ago, I didn't think anything of it because that is the one I always open, plus it was stuck right before that and I had to take the screen off and turn the handle while pushing on it. but, like I said, I have NEVER opened this front window.

Has anyone else had a problem with these bottom opening windows do this? Can I expect it from the remaining 8 on the sides now? That's 2 down...

Just one more thing to add to my list of "Why Didn't I Buy Something Else". It is a very long list and includes "repairs" on the wiring harness by the dealer that make me afraid to sleep at night, there are so many electrical issues. I wish there was some way to get rid of it and start over with something else, but the mileage has me upside-down for a trade. Too far to cover. And I can't sell it to someone in good conscience knowing all I know and all I have to deal with. Two and a half years of dealing with crappy quality... at least the Ford parts still work great!
Attached Thumbnails
Quality.jpg   Broken.jpg   Missing.jpg   White Trash.jpg  
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
Today, I am cruising down the road, cruise on about 70, just enjoying the drive in my 2016 Greyhawk. I start to hear something tapping behind me (other than the usual noises). I look over my shoulder and see the front window over the dinette open. I have NEVER opened this window and it was just me and my dog... I am pretty sure she didn't do it, she has no thumbs. I pulled over real quick and jumped over there and closed it. I still have no clue how it opened. A little later, I hear a loud flap and it is loose and flapping in the breeze... I am just lucky and happy it didn't break!

I pulled over fast and jumped back there to see what happened and the arms are just sitting there. The disc looking thing on one is broken and the other is gone. I could not figure out what to do. I took a bungee cord and wrapped it around the little ledge on the bottom of the frame, pulled it in and hooked another bungee cord and hooked that one to the bottom of the table. I was 75 miles from someplace to try and figure out how to secure it. I drove that 75 miles at 55 mph because it would start to open faster than that. I went to a hardware store and bought blue painter's tape and taped it close. Of course, it was 4:55 pm on a Friday and I was about 1100 miles from home. It has made it about 250 miles and I am sure I will add tape to it tomorrow. It may ruin the paint, but otherwise, I can't get home (and also I can't wait the 4 months most dealers require to do anything).

The one next to it came loose a couple of months ago, I didn't think anything of it because that is the one I always open, plus it was stuck right before that and I had to take the screen off and turn the handle while pushing on it. but, like I said, I have NEVER opened this front window.

Has anyone else had a problem with these bottom opening windows do this? Can I expect it from the remaining 8 on the sides now? That's 2 down...

Just one more thing to add to my list of "Why Didn't I Buy Something Else". It is a very long list and includes "repairs" on the wiring harness by the dealer that make me afraid to sleep at night, there are so many electrical issues. I wish there was some way to get rid of it and start over with something else, but the mileage has me upside-down for a trade. Too far to cover. And I can't sell it to someone in good conscience knowing all I know and all I have to deal with. Two and a half years of dealing with crappy quality... at least the Ford parts still work great!

Let us know the outcome of your window dilemma. Many of us with Jayco and other motorhome makes using these windows, I’m sure, are interested in the results and where to get parts if need be.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Team

The good news is that painters tape will not damage your paint job. That window is likely in use in thousands of rv's so it should not be a surprise when asking about a fix.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The good news is that painters tape will not damage your paint job. That window is likely in use in thousands of rv's so it should not be a surprise when asking about a fix.
X-2.. Just another 3rd party vendor issue. Probably Lippert windows.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #5

I've seen dogs open doors, open windows and flush toilets. It's the dog.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

2016 Greyhawk here with same issue. Broken disc on kitchen window. Fortunately, one arm still holds it closed.

Happened last year. Went to dealer, they said call Jayco for part.
I emailed Jayco - got a "no problem, we'll drop one in the mail..."

Months pass - email again, got "backordered waiting on supplier"

That was last year, this post reminded me to ask Jayco again.

Replacement isn't trivial - according to Youtubers, we'll be drilling out old rivets.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I've seen dogs open doors, open windows and flush toilets. It's the dog.

Beat the dog. If it doesn’t happen again you’ll know who did it. (Only kidding &#129322

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
again.
Replacement isn't trivial - according to Youtubers, we'll be drilling out old rivets.
But not difficult. I had two "jump the track" on our PINNACLE and that is the easiest way to put them back in. Drill out the rivets, get the rollers back in place and then rivet the controller back.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But not difficult. I had two "jump the track" on our PINNACLE and that is the easiest way to put them back in. Drill out the rivets, get the rollers back in place and then rivet the controller back.
i also drilled it out but installed it with nuts and bolts in case it had to be removed again
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 PM   #10

3d print a replacement?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Somehow I don’t see how a window mechanism breaking is a Jayco quality problem?

Jayco doesn’t make these windows and I’m sure other manufacturers use them.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #12

I would say that using inferior products instead of quality diminishes the overall quality of the Coach or TT. Use quality products installed by trained workers and you have a quality product rolling out the door.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
3d print a replacement?
Yeah!!!

Finally a reason to get a 3D Printer!

Old 09-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #14

We drilled all of them and took out the plastic rod that prevented the window from opening. The used a heavier duty rivet to replace them. So far so good in our 2017 greyhawk.
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2.. Just another 3rd party vendor issue. Probably Lippert windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yep - found out the hard way when I used some cheap clear tape picked up at a gas station during one trip

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #16

Well, let me see.... they buy them and they install them. If it is an issue with the production, they should use something else. If it is a constant problem on those already sold, they should come up with a remedy. I have a Ford truck.... Ford may not make the axle, but if they start falling out from under their trucks, I think the quality problem gets tacked onto Ford. If the individual production companies are going to get the blame, then Jayco would have no responsibility because they just slap the parts together, they don't make all the parts involved in building a motor home.

And this reply was supposed to be a couple of spots up... I guess I am happy to know others have had the same issue... I guess it is just "our" problem....
Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #17

Well, my dog is pretty smart. But she doesn't like the windows open....lol
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
Well, let me see.... they buy them and they install them. If it is an issue with the production, they should use something else. If it is a constant problem on those already sold, they should come up with a remedy.
What do you consider a problem?

1 out of 100 windows installed.
10 out of 100 winows installed.
10 out of 500 windows installed.

Our PINNACLE had 8 frameless windows, I had 1 roller out of the 16(2 per window) jump the track and possibly because I over entended it. Once I fixed it and watched how I opened them, no more problems.

I think you will find that the majority are not having problems.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

I've had to replace about 5 of them, and 2 more need replacement. I bought about 10 of them from Lippert.

As others have said, you drill out the rivets. Buy some stainless fasteners to replace the rivets. total repair takes about 15-20 minutes. They use super cheap plastic on those rollers.

Lippert sells them for about $20 each and probably free if under warranty.

First, the dealer told me the entire window needed to be replaced.

********before you call lippert*********

Measure the size of the arms and the distance between the rivets. They will ask.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #20

When I bought my unit the delivering agent explained that one of the biggest causes of failure in these windows was trying to force them open. The rubber seal sticks if not used for awhile, he said just start to open the window applying very little pressure and if it doesn’t move stop and let it sit for a little while the seal will pop loose in a short period of time. I have lived by this and so far no issues with the windows. I suppose you could treat the rubber with something to reduce the sticking.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote