Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #1

Appling the emergency brake

The wife and I went camping last weekend in the 29 MV. This being the first camping experience in the new coach, and the first time at Chicot Park in 25 years, we found ourselves at a site that was somewhat less than level.

By the time the self-levelers were finished leveling the coach, the rear wheels were about three inches off the ground. At first I didn't feel concerned because I knew I had pressed on the emergency brake the moment I turned off the coach. Some time later after the coach was levelled, I began thinking about where exactly does the emergency brakes hold.

So, my question to you:
Do they hold on all four points...??? Or do they hold only through the rear wheels..???

I'm now thinking of carrying sets of wheel chocks as well.... YES or NO ...

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

Emergency/Parking brakes normally only hold the rear wheels only.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

depends on some motorhomes the e brake is on the back of the transmission between the tail shaft and the driveshaft .. easy enough to check ... just look under it at the back of the trans and see if there is something that looks like a disc brake rotor there.... problem is it still only holds back wheels
Old 03-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Your MV ebrake is on the drive shaft. Rear wheels only. I would consider the situation precarious at best. Best course of action would be to put leveling blocks under the rear wheels to get it somewhat level and start from there. I always put 4 or 5 legos under each leveling jack to reduce the workload (stroke) on the jacks. Your situation could call for 6 or 7 legos under the rear jacks after you've driven up legos that are a couple of levels high. I carry 30 legos with me at all times but in your situation, that may not be enough.

I always level manually too because from my experience the automatic levelers can get carried away. I started doing that on my last MH and have continued to do the same with this one. I keep a close eye on where the rig needs to get to be level and don't take the wheels off the ground.

Just for grins when I was checking out the MV I had the dealer do an auto level in the fairly level parking lot (different rig than the one I bought). The levelers got carried away and by the time they had finished, you couldn't open the door on the coach.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

IIRC manual says "NEVER" lift rear wheels off the ground.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Yeah I would not sleep well knowing mine were off the ground on a hill
Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

Another word of caution about lifting rear wheels, if you have a driveshaft parking brake and even one wheel is off the ground the unit can roll due to "differential" action. Since most every MH has an "open" differential, when you lift both rear wheels you can still spin the wheels freely despite the driveshaft being locked by the parking brake. The wheels will spin in opposite direction of each other due to the action of the differential. I found out the hard way just one wheel off the ground will still let the vehicle roll despite the parking brake being applied. Luckily no damage.

Now if your parking brake acts on both rear wheels like most cars and light trucks do, you may be more stable. But chocks and lego pads are your safest bet when off level and a rear wheel (or two) might get unloaded.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote