Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #21

I have a 2004 Jayco greyhawk once everything is battened down it is pretty quiet on the highway
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I would not call it "completely silent" on any road and I have at least that much in suspension mods as well as JRide. That is with my hearing aids off.
Amen to turning off hearing aids , it also helps to turn up the radio
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #23
VKC

My wife has wrapped her appliances and plates in bubble warp or drawer liner and removes the microwave plate before traveling. If she hears a new noise going down the read she tracks it down and takes care of it. My 2018 29MV is super quiet on good roads
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
New Jayco 22A Redhawk

We are returning from PA to FL with our new 2021 22A Redhawk. At 65mph my sound level meter registers 71-72 DB in the cockpit. That is annoyingly loud. Not only that it is loud. Loud enough that I cannot understand what my wife is saying even with my hearing aids.

The noise is not squeaks and rattles. It is more like a roaring air sound.

Looking for solutions.

TIA.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #25

Our medicine cabinet fell off the wall after only 2,500 miles!
Klvanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
We are returning from PA to FL with our new 2021 22A Redhawk. At 65mph my sound level meter registers 71-72 DB in the cockpit. That is annoyingly loud. Not only that it is loud. Loud enough that I cannot understand what my wife is saying even with my hearing aids.

Looking for solutions.

TIA.
Here is a thread that took care of a big source of noise in my Melbourne.
I suspect most Class C’s will have this same construction.
There is still road noise but I can have a normal conversation while driving now.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ise-45703.html
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post

Looking for solutions.

TIA.
Engine fan clutch perhaps, it does roar when applied? Should not be on at 40mph+ unless the engine computer is seeing high engine temps and then only momentarily. Its purpose it to induce air induction thru the radiator, condensers and related coolers. Above 35mph you have forced induction and the need for the fan clutch is minimalized.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #28

I have a jayco class C Greyhawk 26 ft and if I stuff my pillows around the pots it's nice quiet ride that's not to say I haven't worked on a lot of things, (doors & stuff) and I can't that it's totally quiet on a rough road but I love it its 15 years old and 45k miles. Oh yes I did say it's a Jayco....
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKC View Post
My wife has wrapped her appliances and plates in bubble warp or drawer liner and removes the microwave plate before traveling. If she hears a new noise going down the read she tracks it down and takes care of it. My 2018 29MV is super quiet on good roads
X2. That’s how my noises get fixed. The worst one seems to be the screen door. Get it fixed/ quiet, and then it comes back. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #30

Last weekend, I drove the rig over 5 hours by myself, so I had a chance to listen and evaluate noise. I did not use a meter, but I listened to the noise from the driver's seat of the coach, and over varying degrees of roads too.

The way I figure in my coach, the road noise is 80% of the problem. Wind makes up the another 15% and "stuff" from inside my coach makes up the other 5%. I've chased down and secured most of the "stuff", so that's not really a problem any more. I have a couple new squeaks that I need to run down, but otherwise, I'm good there.

I was driving down a particularly smooth stretch of fresh blacktop, with the wind at my back, and it was downright quiet in the captain's chair. I was even able to carry on a reasonable phone conversation! I came to the conclusion that most of the "noise" I experience is road noise from the tires on up. The engine was turning about 2500 RPM at about 70 MPH on this particular stretch of road. The only thing I could feel and/or hear was the tires every now and then, and I'm hoping wheel balancers will help with that.

So, what to do about it? I intend to take the seats out "again" and do a better job, or use a better product to insulate the bottom of the cab. Paying special attention to the wheel wells. I also intend to install a floor mat afterwards. A couple years ago, I took out the passenger seat and pulled up the vinyl flooring in the cab area all over and put in self-adhesive Thermo-Tec "Cool it" insulation. I wasn't able to get the driver's seat up because I ran out of steam, and it was HOT out that day. So I just went around it with my insulation as best I could. I was looking to lower the temp of the cab floor since the exhaust was making it uncomfortably hot, which was successful. But apparently it didn't do a whole lot for the sound...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote