Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

ATF change

Have the '08 GH 31ss with the V10 and 5spd auto TorqShift with towhaul tranny. I took the GH for a short shakedown cruise and was checking the ATF when I got back home. I was getting some "material" on the dipstick, but think it is from the tube that the actual dipstick slides in/out of more than anything as the more I ran the dipstick in and out it smoothed up a bit. The dipstick does bind/stick bit due to the length and bends for a 5' long dipstick. Thinking it is a bit of rust/crud/etc., in the tube. Anyone else with this setup noticed this?

The unit has ~12,500 miles and I'm pretty sure the ATF has never been changed, so I'm thinking of doing the drain and fill method (don't feel comfortable with disconnecting the ATF cooler lines, etc), the ATF pan does have a drain plug on it. Drive it a few miles, and do it again, probably 3x's to get the majority of the old fluid out.

Has anyone else done it this way. I've done the drain/refill method on other cars (Mazda's) and it's not hard, just time consuming, but I do have the time. TIA
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

By the time you flush 3 times, would it not be just as smart to take it to a Ford dealer and let them do it with a flush machine. These are on wheels and could be rolled outside to your MH. I would call around and find a dealer who can do it. Then you can decide if your still going to do it or them.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

It haven't looked at the trans on the grayhawk but most ford rwd automatic transmissions have an inspection hole in the bell housing. Pull the rubber plug out and line the drain plug up with the hole and you can drain the torque converter. Remember to add trans fluid a little at a time run the trans through all the gears and check the fluid with the trans warm engine running. Also do not overfill the transmission if you put too much in you must drain it to the proper level.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

I did mine by disconnecting cooler line filling six quarts starting engine letting it pump till it got to mark on bucket that I marked to indicate six quarts.Did this three times.Changed filter and cleaned pan.Mine does not have the small external filter, it's a 08 chassis. Make sure you use Mercon recommended fluid. Mine has rusting in dip stick tube common problem on these.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabalin View Post
By the time you flush 3 times, would it not be just as smart to take it to a Ford dealer and let them do it with a flush machine. These are on wheels and could be rolled outside to your MH. I would call around and find a dealer who can do it. Then you can decide if your still going to do it or them.
I called the local dealer and they don't work on vehicles this large. I realize this could be done outside with decent weather (I will do the work outside as I don't have an enclosed space for the GH). The closest dealer that "may" work on a Class C would be 50+ miles away.

I've read on other forums that these tranny's should not be "flushed" but the drain/refill works well. Potential for spills is good, but like I said, I've done the drain/refill on other vehicles, so I'm aware of the potential problems.
Equalizer WDH
Old 06-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I did mine by disconnecting cooler line filling six quarts starting engine letting it pump till it got to mark on bucket that I marked to indicate six quarts.Did this three times.Changed filter and cleaned pan.Mine does not have the small external filter, it's a 08 chassis. Make sure you use Mercon recommended fluid. Mine has rusting in dip stick tube common problem on these.
Mine does not have the external filter either, an 08 as well. I was going to use the Motorcraft Mercon SP per the manual/dipstick, but have read where the Mercon LV is compatible, but have a source for the SP so will use it.

I'm not comfortable with disconnecting the cooler lines, it just means I have to do drain/refill/drive it 3 times, and I'll be a bit more tired when its all done, but will be done.

Thanks for confirming the rust in the dipstick tube.
Jim
Equalizer WDH
Old 06-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

I did not drive mine just left line loose started it each time till it pumped out the fluid, do not use the LV they had issues with it used in SP applications.Ford was going to discontinue SP but when issues came up with using LV in its place they kept it.I got mine from Ryder truck fleet site. Dealer want almost 400.00 to do it. I did it for 150.00 with shipping. No one around here carried the SP fluid.I had a disconnect tool took line loose at cooler on the front and put a hose on it was pretty easy and I did not spill a drop well might of spilled a drop.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

This tranny oil change question is very important and needs to be answered correctly. The wrong suggestion could cost someone many thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs. To answer the question- typically automotive type HD transmissions with properly installed coolers can go 30,000 miles between changes. If there's evidence of debris on the dipstick and it's under warranty, then take it back to your dealer. If not- it's got 12,000 miles on it and makes you more comfortable to have fresh oil in it, then change it. DO NOT, have it flushed. Let the vehicle sit overnight. Pull the plug if it has one, if not then pull the pan. But anyway drain the oil in a container that you can measure the amount of drained oil. Replace the filter in the pan, clean the pan, reinstall with new gasket, use only factory fill oil back in the exact amount drained. You do not want to mix tranny oil. Then run the unit according to the manual to top off the fluid. This is the proper way to service a transmission. The new oil contains enough additives to blend with the existing oil. Any dirt in the trans will end up in the filter where it belongs and not flushed throughout the transmission.

I can tell you this- if you have a transmission flushed, all the crap that's in the pan and filter end up in the electronic valve body, then you are done.These dealers push the flush because it makes then tons of money with no effort. Ive known too many good people who lost transmissions hours, days or maybe a week after some fool suggested the flush. They should be taken out behind the shed for suggesting it.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
This tranny oil change question is very important and needs to be answered correctly. The wrong suggestion could cost someone many thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs. To answer the question- typically automotive type HD transmissions with properly installed coolers can go 30,000 miles between changes. If there's evidence of debris on the dipstick and it's under warranty, then take it back to your dealer. If not- it's got 12,000 miles on it and makes you more comfortable to have fresh oil in it, then change it. DO NOT, have it flushed. Let the vehicle sit overnight. Pull the plug if it has one, if not then pull the pan. But anyway drain the oil in a container that you can measure the amount of drained oil. Replace the filter in the pan, clean the pan, reinstall with new gasket, use only factory fill oil back in the exact amount drained. You do not want to mix tranny oil. Then run the unit according to the manual to top off the fluid. This is the proper way to service a transmission. The new oil contains enough additives to blend with the existing oil. Any dirt in the trans will end up in the filter where it belongs and not flushed throughout the transmission.

I can tell you this- if you have a transmission flushed, all the crap that's in the pan and filter end up in the electronic valve body, then you are done.These dealers push the flush because it makes then tons of money with no effort. Ive known too many good people who lost transmissions hours, days or maybe a week after some fool suggested the flush. They should be taken out behind the shed for suggesting it.
I agree, except I don't drop the pan and change the filter. All that thing could filter is tree branches. LOL I do change the FT145 bypass filter.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

what does the owners manual say?
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote