Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #1

Atwood Carbon Monoxide Alarm

This alarm in our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk appears to have malfuntioned. We hadn’t unwinterized the rig yet when I had to make a mad dash to Florida because my father has been placed unexpectedly into hospice care. The alarm was chirping about every 40 seconds. The green light is still on. I have reset it twice. I understand the danger in disconnecting the system but I need to be able to disconnect it temporarily until I can get it repaired/replaced when I get back home probably in a few days. Any suggestions? It appears to be hard wired.

Thanks, Holly
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

I would think there’s a fuse or it’s easy to remove from the wall, disconnect it for now. Simply buy one from store and mount it along the floor, the new ones have a 10 year battery.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Team

You can purchase a temporary replacement at any big box store that sells alarms. I carry one in my rig that plugs into a 110v outlet and has battery backup. I just remove the 9v battery when it's not in use. Here is what I have as a backup. https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert...-Up/1000460503

Remove the screws that hold the old one in and remove the fuse or cut and protect both 12vdc wires, until you get a new one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

Check the expiration date as yours might have been old stock and has timed out.
If still shows good try a little air blast and/or vacuum to clean out the odd spider web or dust that could be shorting it out. While your at it clean your fire alarm also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

RV, CO detectors are know to have a short life. Find the Fuse and pull it (not sure what else is on that circuit). Or remove the unit from the wall and disconnect the wires. In the mean time, stop off at a hardware store and buy a SB model.

Just remember RV CO detectors also monitor for gas leaks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #6

I'm reviving this question because our Atwood carbon monoxide/propane alarm keeps chirping every 15 seconds, indicating a low battery/alarm malfunction, according to the owner's manual. Since we don't have a battery attached to the trailer and there is no shore power hooked up, I'm assuming that it has an internal battery with which to chirp and drive us crazy? Is this battery replaceable or do we just rip the noisemaker out and replace it with the one Norty recommended? (Thanks, Norty!)
Lorelei56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #7

Are you sure it is not the fire alarm battery.

Short funny story - had a pop-up covered in snow and ice, fire alarm battery went dead, could hear it on quiet nights beeping forlornly for weeks.

Also, on most RVs, if there is a battery with a cutoff switch the CO/LP alarm is still connected if you don't pull a wire off the battery.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #8

I can just imagine a lonely "beep" under the snow, lol! Yes, it's for sure the carbon monoxide/propane alarm by the floor (it says it on the alarm itself and a red light blinks in conjunction with the beep). There is not a battery connected to the RV so that's why I assumed that the alarm itself had an internal battery. I think the easy solution is just to go to Lowes and get a replacement that has a battery I can change. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
Site Team

It’s hard to find a combo CO/LP with a replaceable battery. Next time my permanent unit fails, I plan to install 2 separate units. A CO unit with 3 AA batteries and a smaller 12v LP alarm that’s hardwired. I already have them from Amazon. Both costs less than the original.
The CO side of the combo unit is what usually fails.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #10

Yes, we went to Lowe's and found the alarm you recommended but it had only a backup battery for emergencies and was plug-in. Better than nothing, even though electrical outlets are at a premium when we're camping. It's worth it to lose an outlet rather than to wake up blue. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei56 View Post
Yes, we went to Lowe's and found the alarm you recommended but it had only a backup battery for emergencies and was plug-in. Better than nothing, even though electrical outlets are at a premium when we're camping. It's worth it to lose an outlet rather than to wake up blue. Thanks!
That is what I use it for, just backup in case the combo fails. It will fail at the most inopportune time.
Gator roll-up bed cover