Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Auto Gen Start

We just bought a 2017 Precept 31ul. How does the auto gen start work other than being able to start the generator from inside. Can it be programmed to automatically start the generator to turn on the air when you are boondocking and away for the day? Will it auto start the gen when the house batteries get low if not plugged in? We were not given much info on this and when I research I only find info about stand alone starters that can be installed.
Thanks for any insight.
sonjabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Many modern motorhomes and generators do have a control panel that can be used to program the generator as you mentioned--our 2008 Onan has this.

The control panel includes the remote start switch and other buttons along with a display for programming.

It's the remote control panel that you need specific instructions for.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

I don't know what Jayco may have installed in your gas Precept, my 2014 diesel Seneca has the Cummins Onan Energy Command 30 system. Programmable to accomplish exactly what you mentioned - calls for A/C in hot weather and low coach battery voltage. My Energy Command system is very easy to program and test with its integrated LCD display. It is located with my other controls (levelers, tank level monitor, step switch, awning controls, etc.) and the start/stop switch is part of the EC-30 panel. Now newer Senecas come with a completely different system with the auto-start controls in the bathroom medicine cabinet of all places!

Below is a picture of an Energy Command 30 panel, does yours have anything like that?
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

If you search the line below you can find a discussion on this from May with a photo of the unit used in the 2018 Senecas. This unit allows you set quiet time, low voltage auto start and high temperature auto start. I would send you the direct link but have not master that part of this yet. Depending on which one you have they are programmed completely differently but ultimately do the same things. Best wishes on you new unit and hope you have many enjoyable outings.

New 2018 Seneca Gen start, Truma, cabinets?
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I don't know what Jayco may have installed in your gas Precept, my 2014 diesel Seneca has the Cummins Onan Energy Command 30 system. Programmable to accomplish exactly what you mentioned - calls for A/C in hot weather and low coach battery voltage. My Energy Command system is very easy to program and test with its integrated LCD display. It is located with my other controls (levelers, tank level monitor, step switch, awning controls, etc.) and the start/stop switch is part of the EC-30 panel. Now newer Senecas come with a completely different system with the auto-start controls in the bathroom medicine cabinet of all places!

Below is a picture of an Energy Command 30 panel, does yours have anything like that?
That is some really good info there.
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

We have a 2017 Precept 31UL. The auto gen start control panel is mounted in the bathroom cabinet.
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote