Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

Auto Level

My Melbourne did not offer it but my new Greyhawk has Auto level. What is the best process for this? Ie. Put rubber mats under feet? Plug in first? Extend slides first? Get coach as level as possible first? Tips?
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

Here is what I do with my Greyhawk. I installed some bubble levels in the front where I can see them from the driver's seat. When finding my spot, which is mostly boondocking and often in the sand, I will try to position it so the bubbles are at least close. Sometimes just moving a foot or two can make a big difference.

Once I am in my final spot I usually fire up the generator so as not to drain the battery right away while leveling and extending the slide. Those things suck noticeable power. Just something I do.

I will do the auto level first and then extend the slide. I then can look at my bubble levels to see if any tweaking is required. Even though I have tried calibrating the levelers it isn't perfect. Close and usually acceptable but I still like to fine tune to keep the wife happy. Remember, happy wife, less miserable camping trip.

I only add pads under the lift feet if I am in really soft sand or need a little extra lift height. I raised my jacks up a couple of notches in the frame as they came installed too low and would often scrape the ground in driveways. I got the manufacturer's spec on ground distance and set it to that spec. Apparently Jayco doesn't read installation instructions.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #3

Thank you. Perfect answer.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Once I am in my final spot I usually fire up the generator so as not to drain the battery right away while leveling and extending the slide.
Mine won't even come on if the engine is not running on the vehicle.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Mine won't even come on if the engine is not running on the vehicle.
Mine too. Engine running, brake set.

My process; park, leave engine running, set brake, get out and walk over to the panel by the pedestrian door, let it do it's thing using auto-level, tweak for true level using the manual level function and a torpedo level.

After the rig is stabilized and leveled, THEN the slides go out, but you have to cut the engine first before they will deploy. If I were boondocking and my generator wasn't already running, I would run it while deploying the slides at least. Otherwise, DW will run the slides whenever she's ready while I'm hooking us up to whatever facilities are available; first connection is always power.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #6

I'm sure glad my leveler doesn't require the engine to be running. In fact the ignition has to be in the off position for it to work. Parking brake must be set also.

If I fire up the engine with the jacks down they will automatically retract.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I'm sure glad my leveler doesn't require the engine to be running. In fact the ignition has to be in the off position for it to work. Parking brake must be set also.

If I fire up the engine with the jacks down they will automatically retract.
Mine will auto-retract if the P-brake is released.

One weird thing is that when I park, if I don't set the brake, the leveler panel will alarm. Doesn't matter if the panel is on or not. It sounds just like the CO monitor when the battery is running low. This made it fun to try and figure out what that beeping was. I had the CO monitor dismounted and disconnected because I thought it was faulty. You can imagine my confusion when I clipped the wire in back of the CO monitor and there was still the beeping. I felt like Phoebe Buffay in that Friends episode with the smoke detector. Anyway, I digress... I'm working on developing the habit of setting the brake EVERY TIME I park the coach regardless of whether I intend to lower the jacks.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Mine will auto-retract if the P-brake is released.

One weird thing is that when I park, if I don't set the brake, the leveler panel will alarm. Doesn't matter if the panel is on or not. It sounds just like the CO monitor when the battery is running low. This made it fun to try and figure out what that beeping was. I had the CO monitor dismounted and disconnected because I thought it was faulty. You can imagine my confusion when I clipped the wire in back of the CO monitor and there was still the beeping. I felt like Phoebe Buffay in that Friends episode with the smoke detector. Anyway, I digress... I'm working on developing the habit of setting the brake EVERY TIME I park the coach regardless of whether I intend to lower the jacks.
That would explain the beeping I’ve been hearing for a minute or 2.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekLife View Post
That would explain the beeping I’ve been hearing for a minute or 2.
It sounds just like the CO monitor when the battery is running low. And in my rig, the leveler panel and the CO monitor are right next to eachother.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV