Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #1

Automatic transfer switch

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 30X motorhome. The power transfer switch failed. Jayco mounted
it hidden under the cabinets at the end of the queen size bed. It was not an easy location
to work. My neighbor has the same year Redhawk model. His switch is located conveniently
under the bed, where it is stand up easy to repair or replace. Why Jayco, why ? !
I believe that the switch failed because of a loose connection in the old style switch. If you
have the old style switch, with the screw down wire connections, and you can find the location of the switch, I suggest that you make sure that the connections are tight.
Tom Filieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #2

I have a Thor now and everything is under the bed. If anything goes bad I will need to remove the mattress and topper from the bed, then take a sheet of plywood off just to work on it. Why couldn't it have an access panel on both sides and the back. If it did a person could probably reach 99 percent or the parts under the bed
Old 04-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Filieo View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 30X motorhome. The power transfer switch failed. Jayco mounted
it hidden under the cabinets at the end of the queen size bed. It was not an easy location
to work. My neighbor has the same year Redhawk model. His switch is located conveniently
under the bed, where it is stand up easy to repair or replace. Why Jayco, why ? !
I
Nothing new, location always varied by model. 08/09 it is under a false bottom inside the wardrobe on some. Same on first gen SENECA. Had to remove the drawers in the wardrobe to gain access. Just like auto engineers, they don't work on them so things get squeezed in everywhere.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:01 AM   #4

I would not blame the auto or RV assemblers; they most likely follow a build sheet instruction list to assemble. As Grumpy points out, some engineer at the plant came up with the idea to mount a particular piece at the location in question, to save time on assembly.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote