Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch in Greyhawk 31FS

Hey folks,

We were taking a trip to Crater of Diamonds State Park this past week and while driving through the depths of Mordor (aka Summertime North Texas), my kids told me that the TV just suddenly turned off while they were watching a movie. We had the genset running of course powering both the TV and the A/C at the time. I thought perhaps that the generator had died or something, but nope...it was still running. I thought, "ok. Maybe it threw a breaker." When we stopped for dinner in Rockwall, I pulled the slide out and checked the breakers...everything looked fine. Then I thought, "hmm...maybe the genset breaker tripped." Opened the service door and check the breaker there...Nope. It was fine too. Wife started telling me that we should just turn around on go home, but I convinced her that maybe once we hooked up to shore power that we might be able to get the A/C working again and still have a decent weekend trip. Well, when we arrived the power from the post certainly did work. It took it a pretty good bit to "kick in" though, but once it did, all of the 110 appliances worked fine throughout the weekend. I kinda hoped that this kicking in on shore power might "reset" the switch and that the genset would once again supply power, but that was not the case. Once we packed up, I tried the genset again, but still...no power to the coach at all. So...after this long diatribe, does anyone know where the location of this Automatic Transfer Switch is in a Greyhawk 31FS? Mine's a 2015 model if that matters...
mcsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
WDW

I'm not sure about an FS but our FK has it under the rear bed. Something I've grown to tolerate but really don't like.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Hmmm... Yep. I'm familiar with that box. It has the smart converter, 12v fuses and 110 breakers there. I think the inverter is also behind there in the box under the bed. I was actually thinking that the transfer switch might not be there in that location. Looking under the coach, by the generator, I see a junction box that looks like it might have something in it and I was thinking that perhaps that might be the transfer switch...but what do I know. I'm just a computer nerd trying to learn my way around these things

Oh yeah...and I also think that's a TERRIBLE place for that thing. Completely obscured and covered when the slide is in and cannot in any way be good for cooling. I don't understand why they couldn't at least try to mount it in there but at least facing the front of the coach so that it could be accessed when the slide is in.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

The plug in the upper compartment cuts out on my Redhawks as soon as I start the engine. It has been that way since I got it. Called customer service and they said it wasn't designed to do that but I just figured it was a safety issue. Not that I care cause I am always driving but for my passengers there is no tv while the engine is running.
rawnyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

Rawnyron, the OP has a much bigger issue than just the ignition relay switch.

BTW that can be overcome by just removing the relay wire from the plug.

MCSENERD, I would run through every breaker and reset them all, starting at the gen set.

so far our biggest issue power wise is the intermittent gen set shutdown, which mysteriously only happens when its hot as hades and the AC is trying to run... onan had the gen set and had air in the fuel lines which they resolved with a new fuel pump ultimately.

Let us know what you find.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnyron View Post
The plug in the upper compartment cuts out on my Redhawks as soon as I start the engine. It has been that way since I got it. Called customer service and they said it wasn't designed to do that but I just figured it was a safety issue. Not that I care cause I am always driving but for my passengers there is no tv while the engine is running.
It is designed to do that and JAYCO cannot tell you how to overide it, but here a whole thread on fixing it so you passengers can watch TV.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-on-11021.html
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It is designed to do that and JAYCO cannot tell you how to overide it, but here a whole thread on fixing it so you passengers can watch TV.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-on-11021.html
Thank you kind stranger!
rawnyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Since June 1 we are on our 3 rd transfer switch. The current one I had to buy on Amazon to be able to use the coach. jayco had the vendor send 3 transfer switches and all failed.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

Well... It's been at the dealer since early last week. We'll see what they come up with. It's our first "real" issue. Everything else has been nitpicky kinda items like a creaking floor, a little trim piece that was separating from the coach, and a few other little naggy things but nothing major. Hopefully they'll get it fixed this week. I'll report back with what the issue was discovered to be.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

Well... The dealer just called today and told me that they got my half sound from the TV working, but that the generator must go to Onan dealer/servicer to fix :-(

Dagnabit... Good thing I haven't wanted to go camping for the last few weeks or the next few most likely :-/
Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

mcsenerd

Well... took the MH over to Parker Power Systems here in Carrolton today. I explained to the tech what the symptoms were and he got to work. Opened the Genset access door, took off the service panel, took three bolts off of the starter switch panel, pulled it back and grabbed a black wire just hanging there without a connector and said, "Well, there's your problem right there!" Stripped it back, put on a new connector, plugged it in, started it up, and told me to check it. Lo and behold...everything worked again. he tested the output from the genset and everything looked good. So, all told about 15 minutes and I was free to go. Glad it was an easy fix!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #12

What did they find wrong with your tv? I had the same problem with my floor and they removed a tin splash shield and put in a resin one. Did your floor creek in the hallway just past the fridge?
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #13

If your gen set is running you should have tv, but if the generator is low on oil and you go around a corner, it may shut down on you. Tv and air will go out! Because relay on back of outlet in bunk behind tv.
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #14

Don't know exactly what the dealer did to fix the floor squeak but yep... It was exactly in the place you're talking about right in the hall where the bunk slide starts.