Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Back up camera

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24b , backup camera not working, side cameras still working. any guess what the problem may be? Also how do I get the Sony radio- monitor out of the dash?
dangercliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangercliff View Post
2021 Jayco Redhawk 24b , backup camera not working, side cameras still working. any guess what the problem may be? Also how do I get the Sony radio- monitor out of the dash?
My backup camera died on me when I sprayed water on it washing my RV. I pulled the round ball camera out of the rubber housing, cut the wires to determine what voltage. Red has 3.6V DC. It was useless.

I bought a small camera at Walmart for about $15 when traveling. I bought a 7 pin plug and used the Aux 12V+ and ground to power the 12V camera. I cut the yellow video RCA plug and extended the length of the cord 25 ft. and ran it all along the length of the RV inside and fed the wire to the camera through the back emergency exit window.

I pulled the dash bezel to gain access to the back of the Sony head unit and plugged the RCA video to the video input jack. I don't know how to remove the screen or the radio, but I was able to pull the radio attached to the bezel just enough to connect the video cord.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
We have a 2021 24B with the Sony radio mounted on the dash. The back up camera works when the engine is running. I found this out yesterday. When the engine is not running the screen showed No Video Feed.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
We have a 2021 24B with the Sony radio mounted on the dash. The back up camera works when the engine is running. I found this out yesterday. When the engine is not running the screen showed No Video Feed.
Thanks for your response, ours does not work with the engine running in reverse or on constant when turned on from the radio screen.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Unhappy Backup Camera 2019 GMC 1500

I purchased a backup camera for my 2021 24RL and had it installed. It worked fine in the shop. When we installed the monitor in my truck it would not receive a signal from the camera. When the technician plugged the 7 pin cable into his portable device, it worked ok. Nobody could figure it out.

He googled the problem. The answer: 2019 GMC truck products do not put out enough power at the 7 pin receiver to power the camera when the running lights are on (this is where the camea gets it's power).

The solution is an adapter sleeve that the trailer 7 pin cable slides into. This adapter is then inserted into the truck receiver.

But there are still some problems with this: If water gets into the adapter (which it did), it creates corrosion. The camera works, but there is a lot of noise coming through the monitor. Makes it virtually unusable.
Irondoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you install the side cameras? If so, what cameras did you get?
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Did you install the side cameras? If so, what cameras did you get?
The side cameras and the back up camera were standard on the coach when bought new. Don't know what brand they are.