Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Backup Camera & GPS

We picked up our 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 30X this past week. I have to say I am disappointed with the Backup Camera and GPS display. You can't see them! The screen cannot be adjusted for better viewing. I could not see the routing on the screen.

We do have a separate Good Sam GPS system thank goodness. But again, so disappointed with the backup camera...we pulled into our storage lot and I could not see behind me because of the sun....anyone else have the same experience?

We plan on purchasing an after market backup camera system to take care of what we need it to do.

2019 Jayco Greyhawk 30X
rose.burrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Same holds true with my backup on the 2015 Grayhawk. It's black and white and NOT color which makes it hard to see at times. The GPS is a joke and as such I also have the Good Same GPS system.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Just picked up my redhawk 31xl. No nav. Called soundstream and they informed me, it's a jayco install issue. The receiver is blocked by the cab over. You can see it on the dashboard. They advised me to call the dealer for warranty and have the service department relocate the receiver. They indicated it can go on a mirror and be lead can be fished back into the cab and into the radio. Personally, I won't attempt it and am worried to have the dealer do it. May rely on cell phone, kind of stinks.
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #4

Honestly, the Soundstream screen is too sensitive to even use the gps. If you try to input an address, it has shown up as 111133346666. So bad I just use the phone. I’ve heard the same complaint from others.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicama View Post
Just picked up my redhawk 31xl. No nav. Called soundstream and they informed me, it's a jayco install issue. The receiver is blocked by the cab over. You can see it on the dashboard. They advised me to call the dealer for warranty and have the service department relocate the receiver. They indicated it can go on a mirror and be lead can be fished back into the cab and into the radio. Personally, I won't attempt it and am worried to have the dealer do it. May rely on cell phone, kind of stinks.
I doubt the cab over is causing your nav issues, it's mostly fiberglass! I'm sitting in mine right now and see 21 satellites from an antenna inside the cab, under the cab over. Maybe the antenna isn't plugged into the head unit?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
There are thousands and thousands of units installed that way in Jaycos & Entegras. It might be that it isn't plugged in correctly, but I really doubt it is the location. For sure, have the dealer look it over, but I wouldn't relocate it.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Honestly, the Soundstream screen is too sensitive to even use the gps. If you try to input an address, it has shown up as 111133346666. So bad I just use the phone. I’ve heard the same complaint from others.
They just released a fix for this on 10/30/18. It's on their website on the tab labeled support:

https://soundstream.com/product/vrn-65hxb/
Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. I'm going to let the dealer fix it, along with some other minor issues under warranty.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I'm going to let the dealer fix it, along with some other minor issues under warranty.
You must have a great dealer! I'd worry they would just tear into the dash, move the antenna, break and scratch the dash up while putting it back together and tell you 13 weeks later your rig is done without fixing anything. All of which can be fixed by the owner with a usb drive and 20 minutes.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
You must have a great dealer! I'd worry they would just tear into the dash, move the antenna, break and scratch the dash up while putting it back together and tell you 13 weeks later your rig is done without fixing anything. All of which can be fixed by the owner with a usb drive and 20 minutes.

LOL you nailed that one, I never went back to the dealer for anything, they sent me parts a few times but thats it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Did it fix it? I doubt it is the issue. (But it could be) I have a 2019 Seneca with a Soundstream and I removed the radio to pull out the gps antennae which is sitting behind the radio all neatly coiled up and hung it out over the side view mirror w/o any change in gps signal which the signal strength was zero no satellites seen. The rv dealership has called soundstream multiple times they finally have a replacement coming after I blew my top... the unit in general in my opinion is the biggest piece of #$&#%+&*(( on this earth. The menus are horrible and not untiutive at all! The base function menus and locations change when in different functions and the touch screen buttons are horribly inaccurate my kenwood model I put in my old Suburban is light years ahead of the Soundstream! Looking for a good replacement but I would like to see if the gps function is worth putting up with all the other problems with this unit.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Haven't tried the fix yet. I did download the update to my computer and will try it when the weather breaks. (https://soundstream.com/product/vrn-65hxb/)
I'm also not sure I like this unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system that has GPS and camera capability? I find myself constantly playing with the system as I drive and it's very annoying when I'm backing up, the music suddenly turns on. I also don't like the disco light show emitting from the screen, is there a way to keep the screen one color?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Haven't tried the fix yet. I did download the update to my computer and will try it when the weather breaks. (https://soundstream.com/product/vrn-65hxb/)
I'm also not sure I like this unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system that has GPS and camera capability? I find myself constantly playing with the system as I drive and it's very annoying when I'm backing up, the music suddenly turns on. I also don't like the disco light show emitting from the screen, is there a way to keep the screen one color?
Setup - display- led color - any color beside auto.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #14

I am not tech savvy enough to work on most of these units unless they are very user friendly. I hate the way the side cameras work. by the time it comes on I am already past the other vehicle and back in the right lane. the radio stops and then the back camera comes on and finally the radio comes back on. If I leave the unit off it still comes on when I use thew blinker and then the radio comes on. Long story short, I called dealer and he said they are replacing many with the Pioneer product that comes on the Winnebago. AVH2440NEX I believe. A certified Pioneer installer near me has the unit on sale so I will probably have it installed next week. They work on motorhomes all the time.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote