Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Bad Chassis Grounds

Took the 2017 31FS out for a quick weekend trip, about 900 miles round trip. Noticed that the fresh water pump wasn't turning on. When I flipped the switch on the control panel the water tank heater switch would light up and the leveler system would start beeping and indicate "ignition on" even with the ignition clearly off. My electrical experience tells me something was back feeding voltage most likely due to a faulty ground. Started crawling around under the rig and sure enough, found a bundle of ground wires dangling free from the chassis. It appears the bolt broke.
Any recommendations for weather proofing these connections? I see at least 3 bundles of ground and they all seem way too exposed to road dirt, water and salt spray. Once I fix this I'd like to coat all the connections to seal them from the elements.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7602.jpg  
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Well that is real bad for a 2017. All the grounds are poorly installed on RV's.
Clean the metal and use die-electric or copper grease and re-install them.
And yes this is a mod for all who have an RV, because you can start a fire or ruin your equipment. I have done many during my RV life.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Spanks79;611074]Took the 2017 31FS out for a quick weekend trip, about 900 miles round trip. Noticed that the fresh water pump wasn't turning on. When I flipped the switch on the control panel the water tank heater switch would light up and the leveler system would start beeping and indicate "ignition on" even with the ignition clearly off. My electrical experience tells me something was back feeding voltage most likely due to a faulty ground. Started crawling around under the rig and sure enough, found a bundle of ground wires dangling free from the chassis. It appears the bolt broke.
Any recommendations for weather proofing these connections? I see at least 3 bundles of ground and they all seem way too exposed to road dirt, water and salt spray. Once I fix this I'd like to coat all the connections to seal them from the elements.

As a electrician for around 100 years I would recommend making a new connections with all new lugs . Clean your connection place where attached to the frame. I would use the spray battery connection spray to coat the connection.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

No-Ox is probably the best grease for battery ground connections. These do have bad grounds- installed the bargman led upgrade tail lights and noticed the ground back there , they used one of the 6 light mounting screws for the ground by flattening the ground wire and running one of the screws thru the middle of the wire - I couldn't believe it. I cut the wire and put eyelets on the ends and secured to the sheet-metal with a screw.
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

As a electrician for around 100 years I would recommend making a new connections with all new lugs . Clean your connection place where attached to the frame. I would use the spray battery connection spray to coat the connection.[/QUOTE]

X2, although I've only been an electrician for 99 1/2 years.
You also are going to have to shorten up those ground wires until you find bright and shiny copper as you don't want to have any corrosion on your new connections. And as someone mentioned use some "De-Ox" or "Noalox" on the conductor before inserting it into the lug, this will inhibit corrosion and spry on the battery terminal protector.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I got it fixed. It seems ridiculous to have to do this on a unit that's only 9 months old. I think the self tapping bolt used to hold this to the frame was simply over tightened and broke form vibration. I cleaned up the surfaces, drilled out the old bolt and reinstalled with a thru bolt and nut. I coated all the grounds with battery terminal spray. Fingers crossed it holds up.
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #7

When my htt was new, I crawled underneath and coated all the exposed connections with liquid electrical tape, to keep the crude out. So far, I have never had a grounding issue.

On my antique cars, and other difficult grounding points, I use star washers between the frame and the wire connection. Which bits into both materials, and makes a good connection.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Team

One of the issues when using the screw-tightened lugs is that they tend to vibrate loose over time and they oxidize. They may look tight visually but they need to retightened. The swing in temperatures also affects the wire's diameter causing them to expand and contract which also tends to affect the connection.

I replaced all my screw type lugs (frame mount) with hydraulic crimped fittings, wire shrink wrap and the suggested coatings. I welded a steel bolt to the frame to replace the self tapping metal screw that came with the TT. My frame screw was loose when I got the TT from the dealer. The hydraulic 10K pounds of pressure ensures a perfect crimp.

If you use the screw-tightened lugs it should be added to your maintenance list to be checked at least once a year for tightness and oxidation.

I do not recommend using screw-tightened lugs on inverter connections due to the high amperage which causes heat expansion/contraction of the wires while in use.

The hydraulic crimping tool below is well worth the money and will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MisC - Hydraulic Wire Lug Crimper - Walmart.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote