Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Basic generator question

Hello all. Another basic newbe question: I just picked up a 2018 redhawk 26xd and I'm not sure how to use the generator. Do I need to plug the shore power cable into the generator in order to charge the battery or will it charge without being plugged in (is the connection between generator and battery a direct connection)? Also, I'm parked in my driveway on a 10 - 15 degree incline. Does that affect how the generator performs? It's fun learning all the new stuff but I'll be happier in a few months! Thanks again, John
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
First of all I would level out the 26XD so the Fridge will perform before you burn that one.
The operational from the generator situation someone will pitch in.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

You Onan generator should have been installed with a automatic changeover switch. This will switch power automatically from shore to generator. No plugging needed.

Remember once you start the generator it will take a bit before it will start sending power to the coach. This gives it time to warmup some before a load gets placed on it.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

As aljo mentions if you have a gas refrigerator do not run it on that kind of slope. You can permanently damage the unit from overheating.

Once the generator is running for a minute or so you can add your loads. When you are done running the equipment reduce the load and allow the generator to run a few minutes with little or no loads on it before you shut it off. This allow the unit to cool down a little and rest.

Good luck and enjoy you travels.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Jdux999, concerning your question on how to charge your battery, I assume you mean your “house” battery and not hour engine battery. There are two ways to charge the house battery, the best way is to plug your rig into shore power with the attached power line supplied in your rig. The other method, when shore power is not available, is to start up your generator and allow it to charge your battery. You don’t have to plug anything in, your automatic transfer switch will power your built in charger system. Just remember it can take quite a while to recharge a low battery, so usually better to just plug into shore power.

Longleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

Thanks all, for the help. It's very much appreciated. So much to learn - but that's the fun part. I'm sure I'll have more basic questions coming shortly.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

It took me a couple of weeks to figure out the electrical systems in the doggone motorhome.