Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Bath Cabinet Mirrors

On my 2017 Greyhawk 31FS, we have noticed that the bath mirrors seem to be inexorably falling down. When we purchased the rig I noticed the double sided tape sticking out the top of the mirror - just figured I'd trim it off when I got the chance. But this past weekend, the right side mirror has its bottom edge a full inch lower than the cabinet door it is affixed (or not affixed) to. The left side is not near as dramatic, but falling nonetheless. Of course I am under warranty, but this seems to be a reasonably easy job for me to tackle with the exception of how to take the mirrors off and re-mount them properly. Any suggestions to get them off the cabinet doors and what product to use to remount them?

Yes, I should probably take it to my dealer and have them warranty it out, but I have had nothing but problems with the dealership and any warranty issues. I am not in a hurry to enlist their help anytime soon.

Thanks!
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Any suggestions to get them off the cabinet doors and what product to use to remount them?
I'm in a 31FK so I'm going to guess we have similar bathroom mirrors. If so, first thing I'd do it pull the entire door from the hinges.

Then I'd probably tape up the entire mirror, shipping tape, just in case.

I'd gently slide, tug and or pry with a thin shim and see if I can pop the mirror off. Maybe some gentle heat to loosen the adhesive.

If I encountered any resistance, I'd probably take the entire door and mirror assembly to a local glass shop. And get their two cents.

If you get it off, then I'd probably head to Home Depot and pick up some special mirror adhesive. They make mirror tape, but given the extreme temp swings and the bouncing, I'd be tempted to apply some sort of mastic.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #3

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm glad I was envisioning the same plan of action. The bumping and bouncing has me worried too. Maybe I should reach out to Jayco directly for the tape they use.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Maybe I should reach out to Jayco directly for the tape they use.
My 27.5 FW did the same thing. I removed the door and gently persuaded the mirror off. Took the doubled sided tape off, cleaned the back of the mirror and the face of the door. Reapplied new 3M double sided tape ( a lot more than Jayco had put on ) and reattached the mirror to the door. Everything seems well after doing this back in June.

If it happens again, I will repeat the above process but use a mirror glue or liquid nails.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

We have the same problem with our 2016 31FS. I am planning on removing the door/mirrors and using liquid nail.

2020 37K Seneca
2016 31FS Greyhawk (sold)
Retired USAF
Eric&DianeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Thanks triplebvalp and Eric&DianeN! This project is on the list to address this coming weekend.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

I have the 2017 Redhawk had exactly the same problem, mirror sliding down cabinet. It's due to heat inside coach when parked and stored and the use by Jayco of cheap flimsy glue tape probably from a foreign source like virtually everything else these days. My solution was to remove glass gently by pressing downward and reapplying the strongest adhesive 3M tape and applying a tiny spot of gorilla glue on four corners. This seems to have fixed problem. I have same issue with RV dealers. There concern is in selling them and nothing else.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

@xmtraveler: Thank you for confirming it on a similar model. Now I have to stop telling my wife she's crazy about it sliding down. I just thought it was installed wrong. I'm gonna use everyone's suggestions of 3M tape and Gorilla Glue.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #9

Use care when removing mirror to. prevent breakage. In order to remove from cabinet I used a heat gun similar to hair dryer on lowest setting to apply warm air to front of miror. With that it was rather easy to pull from. Cabinet I suppose due to the lousy adhesive used to mount it by Jayco.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV. I will try some of these fixes as soon as I am able. I am having a hip replacement in seven weeks and can't mess with this right now. I wonder how many RVs from Jayco have this same problem? Has anyone contacted Jayco about this?

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

2017 Greyhawk 29 MV

Same problem for my 29 MV. At the shop now for the mirrors, Water heater fuel valve sticking, and the annual Warranty Forever inspection.
ccradeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #12

UPDATE: I've corrected the mirrors. Thanks to everyone with the ideas and suggestions. So here is what I did, just last night...

1. Removed the cabinet doors, one at a time. Started with the right one, the worst of the two.
2. Got out the dental floss. Pulled out a long string and slid it under the mirror, then slowly worked back and forth until I could just barely lift one end of the mirror up.
3. Once up, I wedged in two flat bottle openers (its just what I had on hand, could have been any rigid, flat and thin item) in order to allow the working of both floss and a heat gun further down the mirror back.
4. I did NOT heat the face of the mirror, rather I aimed the heat gun (at the lowest heat setting) under the lifted mirror -- from all sides that were exposed.
5. Back to the floss, slowly working back and forth under the mirror. Then more heat, then more floss.
6. At some point you have to start working the floss from the other end, but all the while as I heated the adhesive and flossed, I moved the wedges further down the side of the cabinet door...slowly lifting the mirror.
7. Once through the four adhesive strips, the mirror lifted right off. The adhesive tape just rolled up when I ran my finger across it. It did not gum up or stick to anything, I was amazed at how easy the clean up was.
8. I purchased a couple of Scotts brand heavy duty double sided tape. I cleaned the surfaces of the mirror and door with some rubbing alcohol and then made sure they were dry with a paper towel. I put a total of four stripes of tape on the door: (2) 10 lb on the outside and (2) 15 lb on the inside.
9. I aligned the mirror so that the top of the mirror was flush with the top of the door, and perfectly centered left to right on the door. This left a small gap at the bottom of the cabinet door, but from a standing angle one would never see it.
10. The directions on the tape say to press the two pieces firmly together for 30 seconds. I did, but I also used some 'weights' I found hanging near the beer for a few minutes.
11. After a beer (or two) I walked the beauty in the RV and reinstalled.
12. Repeat the process with the second door.
13. Done!

Aside from a screwdriver/drill with a square bit (my screws are not philips head), you will need a heat gun, lots of dental floss (thin, waxy) and patience. They will not come off with the first, second or third pass with the floss; the floss does break, you'll have to use quite a bit. The floss is so thin that it is easy to work over the wedges, without disturbing them while they do their job.

I tried to show my workflow in the photos. I was so excited that it was done that I forgot to take a picture of the finished products! I'll post them separately.

Thanks again all!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7029.JPG   IMG_7030a.JPG   IMG_7031.JPG   IMG_7036.JPG   IMG_7037.JPG  

Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #13

Nice job! Great tip about the dental floss too!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #14

Had exactly this same problem. Removed the doors, pulled single strand picture wire behind the mirror to separate mirror from door. After cleaning up the door and back of the mirror, I used mirror adhesive - yes - from Lowe's - and it's made to stick mirrors to the walls in homes. Super tough seal - PERMANENT - and haven't had an issue since.

If I could only figure out a PERMANENT fix to the random hinge-attachment screws that come loose from the particle board cabinet facings they're attached to.....
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbayone View Post
If I could only figure out a PERMANENT fix to the random hinge-attachment screws that come loose from the particle board cabinet facings they're attached to.....
Screws and particle board or MDF just don't mix.
I've had some success with filling the holes with 5 min Epoxy and then screwing things in. Epoxy bonds to the wood and the screw bites into the epoxy.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #16

We had the same problem. We simply installed mirror hooks and now the mirror stays put!
Attached Images

jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
We had the same problem. We simply installed mirror hooks and now the mirror stays put!
I saw the issue on other units I visited when looking to buy ours. I put the brackets in place before the mirrors started to sag and no issue since.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Screws and particle board or MDF just don't mix.
I've had some success with filling the holes with 5 min Epoxy and then screwing things in. Epoxy bonds to the wood and the screw bites into the epoxy.
I agree. I am not putting anymore screws into the particle board construction than what is already there. Congrats on those that have made it work.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #19

Greyhawk Mirrors

I had the same problem on my 2015 31FK. I removed the upper doors from the cabinet and put them on a flat surface I took a thin 2" putty knife and gently slid it under the mirror being careful to gently go around the entire outside edge of the mirror. I think the problem occurred because of heat build up in the coach during storage. I cleaned the old double sided tape off the mirror and cabinet door facing. I used construction adhesive to reattach the mirror glass to the cabinet door. That is a forever repair as far as I am concerned.
Rdhmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #20

Mirror sliding off fix

Had the familar problem with the bath vanity mirrors adhesive allowing the mirror to slide down.

My fix:
1st. Took mirrors off the wall and turned upside down. Place in a black plastic bag and sat in the sun.
2nd. Once the mirrors were back in position, layed flat to cool.
3rd bought $3 worth of corner wood from the big box hardware
4. Used small screws and fixed the corners on the mirror door.
5. Stained to match, less than a ounce of stain.
6. Looks like it came from the factory this way
Attached Thumbnails
94E99BE9-A715-4F43-8D04-54960924D4E7.jpg   E7B0D1F7-21C1-4E9A-9012-6FC141D95E73.jpg  
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote