Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #1

Battery and fridge

Hi Everyone,

Please help! We are in our jayco greyhawk 2011 class c and even though we have shore power, our lights and fridge seem to still be running off of the battery. We noticed it when our fridge was showing the letter "c". It went from "a" to "c". Then our light got very dim. Any help? We are in carlsbad, New Mexico. If need to find a repair shop, any suggestions? What makes me mad is we just had it checked and everything was working fine.

Thank you!
dlpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

If you have a absorption fridge, it requires a constant 12 volt connection to work. This is typically provided by the battery. Your lights also run off the battery. It sounds like your battery is low on juice. The battery should be charged by the converter. Since you're hooked up to shore power, the converter should be charging the battery. If it's not...then something is either wrong with the battery or something is wrong with the converter.

To test, get a multi-meter and check your battery readings with it still connected to the camper. It should be charging at around 14.4 volts. If it doesn't read somewhere around 14.4 volts, then the converter is probably not charging. Check your converter fuses. If the fuses are good, then the converter may be shot.

I'd be interested to hear about your battery readings, both connected to the coach and not connected.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

I'd check your breakers. The codes you posted are. : " A" no AC power and "C' low battery voltage. That tells me you lost shore power someplace and have now run the battery down since you went from "A" to a "C".
Old 07-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #4

Silly question, but where would I find my converter fuses? We found 2 fuses by the house battery and both fuses looked fine but we still changed one. Not sure if those are the converter fuses? We plugged our rv to another box but still hd the same problem. We have to start the engine to charge the battery to get things to work. Even the air conditioner stops working after awhile, even though we plugged to shore power.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Unfortunately we are on the road and don't have a multimeter but when I turn on inverter, the voltage reading shows in the 8.2 range and shows decreasing voltage at 7.9 and then nothing works. So we start the engine.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

When you plug into shore power, the appliances which operate ONLY on 120AC will work. Unplug, and those stop working. That's your microwave, the Air Conditioner, etc. The fridge is likely at least a dual function, in that it will work on 120AC or gas. The gas burner, however, is fed by a solenoid valve which must have about 12 vdc to work and allow the gas to the burner. That requires either a decent battery charge or shore power, which operates your converter and battery charger. If your air conditioner and microwave work, and you are plugged into shore power, then the shore power 120 volts AC power is present. It's just not operating your converter and battery charger for some reason. That could either be that the circuit breaker for the converter/battery charger is tripped (find your circuit breaker box), or a fuse is blown (see your 12v fuse block), or your converter/battery charger has failed, or your wiring is compromised.

I'd say if you haven't been messing with the wiring, that's least likely. Next least likely is that the converter is bad. Most likely is a circuit breaker is tripped. I would start there. Pull out your manual and it should tell you where the breaker box is. That should have been part of your PDI by the dealer.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

My guess is the converter and fridge are on the same breaker. Take all your breakers, turn them off and then back on if none look tripped.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

Does the microwave and AC work. If not, check the fuse on the shore power post. It is common people turn them off before unplugging.

Do you ha e a on board generator? If so check the transfer switch.

In the fuse panel check each 12V fuse. Usually you can tell if it is bad, but sometimes you cannot visually tell. You can switch fuse locations, to see if the frig starts working.

The frig does have a minimum power voltage requirement.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

If you are at a campground and can't resolve the problem yourself, ask for recommendations at the office. I've gotten some very good help that way. If you have Good Sam or other coverage, use them.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

All of the fuses are fine and appliances are working, but the house battery won't charge off shore power or generator power. The battery will only charge when the vehicle engine is running.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpatterson View Post
All of the fuses are fine
How about your circuit breakers? You need to turn them off and on one at a time to reset and see if that helps.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #12

We did that.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

Unless it is a bad breaker. We are heading somewhere to see if it can be fixed.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

It's a long shot, how about the GFI receptacle?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Sounds like you do not have any 12vdc. Verify dc output of converter, verify battery voltage, check continuity between the two and to dc buss in your power center.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #16

Fuses behind Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpatterson View Post
Hi Everyone,

Please help! We are in our jayco greyhawk 2011 class c and even though we have shore power, our lights and fridge seem to still be running off of the battery. We noticed it when our fridge was showing the letter "c". It went from "a" to "c". Then our light got very dim. Any help? We are in carlsbad, New Mexico. If need to find a repair shop, any suggestions? What makes me mad is we just had it checked and everything was working fine.

Thank you!
Good Day,

I just posted on this problem in my Greyhawk earlier this week. I was in the identical situation. Behind your battery there are two fuses. One is 20amp and one is 7.5amp.

In my case the 7.5 amp fuse was blown. I found it easiest to fully remove the battery and then access the fuse.

Hope this helps!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #17

Just saw Post #4... Looks like you may have already tried my solution

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #18

So is everyone ready to hear what happened?!?!?! We found the converter underneath the bed. The converter was unplugged. Yup unplugged!!!! We plugged it in. Now the battery is being charged and everything seems to be working. Keep your fingers crossed. We are taking a 2 week roadtrip. Heading to the GRAND CANYON next. THANK YOU for all of the advice. We will let you know if anything else happens.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #19

Gremlins:

At least you found it and it was an easy fix.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #20

Okay HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!! NOW the propane relief valve is releasing propane when it gets hot. Which it is suppose to do but it releases 1/8th of a tank and we are down to a quarter of a tank. It makes this loud noise while driving when releasing. So NOW the fridge is reading F because we are low. I haven't even cooked a meal yet.