Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Battery charging

Will the batteries charge from shore power with the master switch inside turned off? Also will the batteries over charge by keeping it plugged in, or should I attach a trickle charger after my batteries are full charged? This info is for my 02 26ss. Thanks for any info Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My understanding is that your battery charges through the converter when connected to shore power.
If the master switch disconnects the converter, then it will not charge your battery.
If you have a smart converter, then it will charge and trickle charge based on charge state of battery.

I am not sure what converter you have.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

I'm with Doug. First step is find out what charging capabilities your converter has. How the batteries are maintained after charging is important. "Trickle" charging is rapidly being replaced by "Float" charging. Float charging is much more effective and is accomplished with the newer smart chargers, converters, and battery minders (or battery tenders). Basically, float charging gives your battery the current it needs and no more. Trickle charging is a constatnt charge that can give your battery more than it needs, which will shorten its life.

Edit: Battery tenders (float chargers) do not replace battery chargers. They are for after the battery is charged.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

Pretty certain that the smart chargers are from late 08-09 and forward but could also be unit specific. I know my friend has an 08 without the smart charge option. The older chargers in most cases will "cook" your batteries. I would either upgrade your converter to a smart charge version or go with the seperate battery minder "float" charger unit.

If by "master switch" you mean the main 120V breaker then you will not be charging as the converter is on a breaker by itself. Do note that by turning the main off you are not disconneting the 12V draws and without a full battery disconnect your batteries will most likely die in about 2 weeks without the charger. A battery disconnect and float charger would be a good match in your case IMHO.

$100.00 mod if you feel comfortable with electrical. Do a search on this forum and there are numerous well illustrated threads on the subject.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote