Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #1

Battery Cutoff Solenoid

I recently started having issues with what I think is the battery cut-off solenoid. Intermittently while using anything that has a significant 12v draw, like the slides sometimes the water pump, the 12v will drop out. I will have to cycle the cut-off switch by the door to get the 12v back on. This is happening more frequently and a couple of times lately cycling the switch will not return the 12v power back on.

My question is, anyone else experience this and did it turn out to be the solenoid.

If the solenoid is the issue, I have seen two types of solenoids on Amazon. Are either of these the ones you used for replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/KIB-LR9806-La...70229438&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-DISCO...0YG5RNZU&psc=1

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #2

Are all your cable to post connections tight and clean?
If the solenoid is going bad then you need to match it with a unit which has the same electrical specs as the one you have. Your solenoid will have a sticker on it with the spec's.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #3

How old is the house battery? Is it plugged in when this happens or the engine running?

If you are just on 12v, sounds High draw drops battery voltage and then it recovers enough to keep 12v on until high voltage kicks in again.

I haven't run into this one..
Old 11-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

The only true method to diagnose this problem is to use a voltmeter. When the problem occurs you should measure the input and output sides of the solenoid (heavy lugs). If you have 12 volts on one side but not the other then the solenoid is not engaged. The next check would be for the solenoid's trigger signal to see if is telling it to do something with itself.

Another temporary test would be to simply connect both heavy cables together on one large lug of the solenoid to bypass the solenoid and then see if the problem resurfaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Battery is good and fully charged. I swapped the solenoid out and still having issue intermittently (solenoid will not engage). I tried manually triggering with positive voltage on the + terminal of the coil and touching the ground terminal to ground. I hear it click but when I check the voltage on the output terminal, no voltage and nothing 12v in the RV is working. I did unhook the input side from the battery and try it and it works that way. Weird I am still looking at it again today.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #6

Just in case you are energizing too long, the Jayco manual states the following:

“Never depress the momentary battery disconnect switch for longer than 1 second. Depressing and holding the switch down will disable the battery disconnect solenoid. Should this occur the main ground cable for the house batteries must be removed for 1 minute to re-enable the solenoid operation.”

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Just in case you are energizing too long, the Jayco manual states the following:

“Never depress the momentary battery disconnect switch for longer than 1 second. Depressing and holding the switch down will disable the battery disconnect solenoid. Should this occur the main ground cable for the house batteries must be removed for 1 minute to re-enable the solenoid operation.”
Thanks for the info but this is not the issue.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
Thanks for the info but this is not the issue.
Well what is the issue? Maybe you should hire an electrician or a RV tech who can troubleshoot electrical systems. We can't help you over the internet.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

GeorgiaRV said:
Quote:
...still having issue intermittently (solenoid will not engage)...
This sounds like the result of either poor connection(s) at the terminals on the solenoid, or a defective or damaged solenoid. If it the button was held too long it might have cooked or melted something in the solenoid causing it to stick.

Clean all of the terminals, and make certain they are tight. Then if the problem persists, get a new solenoid.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
GeorgiaRV said:

This sounds like the result of either poor connection(s) at the terminals on the solenoid, or a defective or damaged solenoid. If it the button was held too long it might have cooked or melted something in the solenoid causing it to stick.

Clean all of the terminals, and make certain they are tight. Then if the problem persists, get a new solenoid.
It also could be a problem with the control circuit. Another reason to hire a professional and not do guessing on an internet forum.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #11

Solenoid

We feel your pain for 18 months we had same issue first solenoid stopped working for unknown reason, replacement was intermittent tripping whenever for no reason. Dealers felt it was no longer warranty issue (unit was still under warranty) haha just told them no worries I will call Jayco. They replaced and 🤞so far things have been ok. We did find out how to bypass should this one go as it controls the unit. We feel the solenoids are issues we saw same problems on other manufacturers forums.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #12

Bypassing is easy. Just put both cables on the same side.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:18 AM   #13

Quote:
I recently started having issues with what I think is the battery cut-off solenoid. Intermittently while using anything that has a significant 12v draw, like the slides sometimes the water pump, the 12v will drop out. I will have to cycle the cut-off switch by the door to get the 12v back on. This is happening more frequently and a couple of times lately cycling the switch will not return the 12v power back on.

My question is, anyone else experience this and did it turn out to be the solenoid.

If the solenoid is the issue, I have seen two types of solenoids on Amazon. Are either of these the ones you used for replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/KIB-LR9806-La...70229438&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-DISCO...0YG5RNZU&psc=1
(To my understanding) A LATCHING RELAY simply uses control voltage momentarily to move the switch ON/OFF positions, but sounds like your experiencing internal contacts issues; (I had to replace my BOOST solenoid for similar problem, would CLUNK but not connect)... JUST NO Idea difference between LR9806J vsLR9806J-BIP.. I could not find explanation for the BIP**? Do you have ## on your old one? I have read that more expensive solenoids ($60+ vs $10-$20?) use SILVER CONTACTS (vs simple copper), WHICH doubles the Rated Cycles/ life

** I did just note that the BIP ad PIC shows it uses 7.5a FUSES ON COIL vs 5a on the other?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies and feedback on this subject...I finally got it working as of now it is anyways. I could not find a LR9806J-BIP in stock or that would ship quickly, so I order a plain LR9806 and moved the small circuit board with relay over to the new plain LR9806 relay. It worked! For those that want to know the difference between the LR9806J-BIP and the plain LR9806 relay assembly is the BIP comes with a small circuit board and relay attached to the + terminal of the coil on the main relay. This is to prevent burning out the coil if you leave the momentary battery cut off switch in the activate position too long.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #15

I’m having the same issues. Did you solve yours yet?
Rlhagemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:04 AM   #16

I did find one with the circit board and replaced it. It worked for a few times. Quit working all together.
Rlhagemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #17

I replaced my latching solenoid and the red and yellow + wires have a ground. The ground wire also. The only thing I can find that does not work are the lights for the grey and black tanks.
Can anyone advise what the red and yellow wires control? Both have shorted to ground faults.
Retired chief is offline   Reply With Quote