Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I tried to get my dealer (who's an hour away) to replace the chassis battery, but they told me it was a Ford issue, and take it back to them. I just went to Walmart and bought a new one.

The radio will run off of whatever source it "sees" power from. If you turn off the main coach 12 volt switch, the radio won't run. Turn on the ignition key, it will.

Why Jayco doesn't charge the chassis battery from the converter? Money, plain and simple. Some people have installed a Trik-L-Start under the hood, which will allow you to charge both batteries.

Mega TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Here is what Jayco is putting in the Seneca
To keep both charge from engine or converter.
Attached Thumbnails
D4E1AF9A-B052-4410-8ACC-A9DD6CAAD2CD.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #22

Update:

I took my RH24B to Ford for the oil and fluids routine maintenance. I asked them to check the battery and charge system on the chassis. Both passed with no issues. They said if the drain continued just add a battery cut-off switch.

I have examined the battery and decided the cutoff would be the best choice but I am still holding out for a "fix" and not a work around. I don't want to trickle with a battery tender or a potable solar because this discharge should not be happening at all - charging is just a work around. I want to get to the bottom of the drain problem.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #23

12V Chassis.pdfUpdate 2:

I put the cut off knob on the chassis battery. As I did, I unhooked and heard a solenoid relay drop. Sooooo I think I found the culprit. It is likely the 100 amp solenoid held closed with the chassis battery. I didn't check current flow but I bet it is 1/2 to 1 amp continuous draw with the engine off.

This solenoid is the one operated by the dash Aux start button to start the engine if the chassis battery is dead - and it always will be holding a relay closed. I think this solenoid also allows the alternator to charge both the chassis and house batteries while driving.

With the chassis battery disconnected now, I can still press the Aux button and start the engine on house battery. Not necessary as I will tighten the chassis battery cut off down before leaving for the road.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote