Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Battery Drainage

After leaving my Jayco Melbourne parked for about 2 weeks ( with a brand new battery) I came back to start it and it was dead , not even a click . I jumped started it and so far not a problem . My question is what could have drained it so far down ? I couldn't even start it with the house batteries those were drained also . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated jerry4tire@gmail.com
jerry4tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #2

Welcome to the site from SW Michigan! Hopefully someone has experienced this problem or has heard about it and will be able to help out. Hope the fix is found!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry4tire View Post
After leaving my Jayco Melbourne parked for about 2 weeks ( with a brand new battery) I came back to start it and it was dead , not even a click . I jumped started it and so far not a problem . My question is what could have drained it so far down ? I couldn't even start it with the house batteries those were drained also . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated jerry4tire@gmail.com
By chance did you get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed? I went to pick my RV up once and the doors wouldn’t open with the fob...battery dead. Was able to start by the little white button, but could not figure out what was draining it. Finally realized it was the TPMS wired to the chassis battery. Now I use a small solar trickle charger...
Old 08-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry4tire View Post
Do you have a battery disconnect switch installed. Was the battery disconnected?

There could be enough 12V parasitic drain on a battery (CO2 sensor, electronic sensors, etc.) to drain a fully charged battery in two weeks. Install a battery disconnect switch or disconnect the battery if your not going to be using the RV for more than a week or so.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

I would walk around the RV inside and in all the storage bays and look for any drains. TPMS, LP/carbon monoxide detector/ stray light bulbs burning in hidden places. Something is taking quite a few amps to drain all 3 batteries. Your coach battery should be isolated from the others so there may be a problem there.

OR your coach sat a long time and they ruined the batteries by letting them all go 100% flat and they have no real amperage left in them when fully charged.

Solar is a good idea, but isolate the load and look into battery cutoff switches.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. Common issue with the Melbourne and there are a couple other threads about this issue. The chassis battery is connected to the auto step,Co2 detector and the radio that I know for sure even with the main disconnect off. There also was a issue with the isolator and parking brake. See post 91 of the following thread.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...e-42254-5.html
I plug in when stored and I use a battery tender plugged into the 12v socket under the “cup holders” which is always hot even with the key off.

Good luck.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #7

Thanks defiantly going for the cut off switch
jerry4tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #8

Same issue with Jayco's towables. Our fifth wheel battery has just under 1 amp draw with the cut off switch in the off position. I disconnect at the battery when not in use. I'll pull my battery out if I have to leave the trailer for service. Can't depend on the dealer's service department to connect and disconnect the battery. They can use their batteries.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #9

Hi ,
I just posted on this topic. The emergency brake was the issue. Jayco sent the Mercedes Tech. The work around diagram and wala!!! Fixed and no further issue. We lost five batteries before the fix. It happen within a three day period out of nowhere??? We had already had our baby out on many trips with no issues so we were confused ����*♀️ Jayco knew and helped beyond our expectations. Hope this helps ������
Still smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still smiling View Post
Hi ,
I just posted on this topic. The emergency brake was the issue. Jayco sent the Mercedes Tech. The work around diagram and wala!!! Fixed and no further issue. We lost five batteries before the fix. It happen within a three day period out of nowhere??? We had already had our baby out on many trips with no issues so we were confused ����*♀️ Jayco knew and helped beyond our expectations. Hope this helps ������
Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #11

Confused: How did the parking brake cause a vehicle battery drain?

I have a Redhawk 24B that will drain the vehicle battery through some mysterious means, and if it were not for the house battery button, I would have be stranded many times. (Now carry a spare jump battery in our basement but don't like to use it unless I have to.)

I am in the process of tracking the parasitic amp draw in the vehicle and will ask Ford to test the battery when I take it in for oil and fluids check next week. The radio works on house battery BTW. Not on the vehicle battery so you can use it while camping.

Back to my question: On a Mercedes chassis, how in the world did a set brake cause parasitic drain? Maybe it also does on the E450 Ford as well.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post

I have a Redhawk 24B that will drain the vehicle battery through some mysterious means, and if it were not for the house battery button, I would have be stranded many times. (Now carry a spare jump battery in our basement but don't like to use it unless I have to.)

I am in the process of tracking the parasitic amp draw in the vehicle and will ask Ford to test the battery when I take it in for oil and fluids check next week. The radio works on house battery BTW. Not on the vehicle battery so you can use it while camping.

Back to my question: On a Mercedes chassis, how in the world did a set brake cause parasitic drain? Maybe it also does on the E450 Ford as well.
Safety switch for the stabilizer jack is tied to the emergency brake I believe.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Safety switch for the stabilizer jack is tied to the emergency brake I believe.
I do know that since the jacks won't operate if brake not set.

But just how does a set brake use any current? No light on dash showing.

Since a safety switch is make or break - open or closed (unless it is a relay held by 12vdc??) circuit line. Baffled here.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I have a Redhawk 24B that will drain the vehicle battery through some mysterious means, and if it were not for the house battery button, I would have be stranded many times.

I would suggest you get the chassis battery load tested. The battery in my rig wouldn't stay charged, and I ended up replacing right in the beginning. They let these batteries die multiple times during the modification process. First at Ford, then at MorRyde, then at Jayco, then at the dealer. It may just be your battery has been hurt.

Also, the radio works off both batteries, depending which one is turned on.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I would suggest you get the chassis battery load tested. The battery in my rig wouldn't stay charged, and I ended up replacing right in the beginning. They let these batteries die multiple times during the modification process. First at Ford, then at MorRyde, then at Jayco, then at the dealer. It may just be your battery has been hurt.

This is good to know. Since my battery failure happened almost from the first day I suspect it is bad.

Ford dealer will be performing oil and fluids next week so I will have a specific gravity test and load test done. Should be under warranty.

Also, nice to know the radio uses either house or chassis for radio depending on usage.

Last - why didn't Jayco use the convertor charge current from the house to trickle charge the chassis battery?

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
I do know that since the jacks won't operate if brake not set.

But just how does a set brake use any current? No light on dash showing.

Since a safety switch is make or break - open or closed (unless it is a relay held by 12vdc??) circuit line. Baffled here.
I don’t know. I just relayed the solution from Jayco which at least 2 users here say worked.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
This is good to know. Since my battery failure happened almost from the first day I suspect it is bad.

Ford dealer will be performing oil and fluids next week so I will have a specific gravity test and load test done. Should be under warranty.
I tried to get my dealer (who's an hour away) to replace the chassis battery, but they told me it was a Ford issue, and take it back to them. I just went to Walmart and bought a new one.

Quote:
Also, nice to know the radio uses either house or chassis for radio depending on usage.

Last - why didn't Jayco use the convertor charge current from the house to trickle charge the chassis battery?
The radio will run off of whatever source it "sees" power from. If you turn off the main coach 12 volt switch, the radio won't run. Turn on the ignition key, it will.

Why Jayco doesn't charge the chassis battery from the converter? Money, plain and simple. Some people have installed a Trik-L-Start under the hood, which will allow you to charge both batteries.

Mega TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 10-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

I keep a volt meter plugged into one of the cig plugs in the dashboard. My new battery will hold a decent charge for multiple weeks, so if you're seeing yours drop within a few days, it definitely has issues.

I sometimes plug a trickle charger through that same cig plug, and plug it into an outlet in the coach, and charge the chassis when I'm charging house batteries.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

I agree 2 weeks is not a long time for a vehicle to sit idle and to have the battery completely dead sounds like the need for a new one.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:

Hi again , on the Mercedes it was the wiring of a relay Jayco
Added not sure on the Ford. There will be no indication on dash or a light. The Tech at Mercedes couldn’t find after hours. I called Jayco customer service and within five minutes blueprints of wiring were sent to the technicians and problem solved for us. Hope it’s as easy a fix on the Ford.
Still smiling is offline   Reply With Quote