Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Battery Going dead

Does anyone else have a problem with the engine battery on the Class C going dead? I cannot keep mine charged.
Hairy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

How long is it sitting before going dead?

If you can get your hands on a clamp meter that will read DC, you can pull each individual fuse and narrow it down to the circuit that is draining the battery. You can also use most regular multimeters if you remove the battery cable and insert the meter in line; however, most meters in that config will only read up to 10 amps.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Mine was going dead after sitting for about a week. I now have a battery tender on it when it sits.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

Mine sat (in storage now) for a couple of weeks and did not lose charge. One thing I have to be mindful of is the rear camera - it doesn't shut off with the key, you have to manually shut it off - at least that is how mine works. I imagine that if i left the camera on for a week the battery may run down. Just thinkin'
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #5

We had a problem with our battery dying on us. And found that if the power step is left in the on position it would kill the battery in about 5 days.
Riplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #6

Not had the same problem but it is still new and it never sits for more than 6 days with out me getting out there to play with it. I run the genny a bit each time just to keep things charged. Not sure if the genny will charge the main battery or just the coach battery.

1. Stereo/DVD/Nav/Camera has to be manually shut off. Removing the key doesnt power it down.

2. Leaving the coach there is a battery disconnect button by the coach door. I always turn that off when leaving the coach unattended. Not sure if that kills power up front or not.

3. Do you have a security system that draws a small charge?

Happy Thanksgiving
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #7

Wild4Williamsburg - If your setup is a 30AMP system it sure is easy to connect your shore power cable into the garage 120VAC standard 15AMP receptacle. All you need is a heavy duty 10-GAUGE (10-3) extension cord. (I use a 50-foot length cord) and plug the RV 30AMP shore power cable into the extension cord using a RV30A-15A "dogbone" 18-inch long adapter (Walmart).

In my RV trailer I can run everything in it including the "air conditioner" but have to watch what all is turned on at the same time. If I am running the Air Conditioner and turn on the microwave it will trip my garage circuit breaker. For keeping the RV Converter up and running charging your batteries its great. I would use one of those RV plug-in 120VAC meters that has the safe zone scale shown in "green". If the AC Line voltage is outside the green scale I would not turn on the Air Conditioner unit. I have been doing this with my RV Trailer for five years now with no ill-effects.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote