Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Battery storage expansion and Solar instal

I am not sure if this is the best forum to post to for my questions. If I should post it on another forum please let me know.

I am in the planning stages for installing a solar system to my 2006 Greyhawk. I am planning to expand the battery compartment so I can use two 6 volts batteries in series. I will also be attaching 2 solar panels to the roof. I have a couple of questions.
1. I am planning on using the existing battery box bolts to support the new battery box. Do you think that the bolts will support the extra weight (130lbs of battery). Does anyone know the thickness of the subfloor in case I need to add additional attachment points.
2. When installing the solar panels I would like to be able to screw into the roof support structure if possible. Does anyone know how the support structure is layed out and how to best find the supports. Most of what I have read suggest using 1 inch screws to attach the panel brackets.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
mytthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

I can't help with question number one. When I put my panels on my Jay Flight, I just used 3/8" screws that came with the mounting brackets. I did not look for roof supports. I did the same on my last trailer and everything held fine for over 3 years. I also have 4 friends who have done the same and have not had a problem. As long as you have the 3/8" roof decking, I think you will be fine mounting them anywhere. Just make sure to stay away from the AC or anything else that may cast a shadow. Just covering a small part of the panel with shade will render is useless.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Same here. Because of the thick roof you can screw it anywhere. I ran my leads down the refrigerator stack and it's worked fine.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #4

When Mustang Don sees this post he will have much useful stuff to add. Because panel size does not match roof rafter spacing you will not be able to get them all on rafters but as long as you use angle aluminum the entire length of the panel and 4 screws into the roofing material evenly spaced you should be OK.. Mine have been up there for over 5 years and not moved a bit.. don't forget you will need a charge controller with the solar panels.. get one larger than you think you will need as you will probably want to add more panels later I started with a 30 amp controller went up to a 45 and now want a 60 :-((
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Are you adding that solar hot tub?
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
When Mustang Don sees this post he will have much useful stuff to add. Because panel size does not match roof rafter spacing you will not be able to get them all on rafters but as long as you use angle aluminum the entire length of the panel and 4 screws into the roofing material evenly spaced you should be OK..
Seann is correct... I made a few calls prior to mounting my panel and not mounting them to the roof supports is NOT an issue. It would be next to impossible to align anyway. I received many requests on how I mounted my panel so I made a document and attached the step by step instructions below. It has been 2 years that they have been mounted and we have not had any issues.

The SOLAR panel you decide to purchase is totally up to you. I opted for the HIGH voltage panels (31Volts - same as those used on homes) and a Morningstar MPPT 60 (Amp) SOLAR Charge Controller. I opted for the 60 Amp as I already knew that I would be expanding my system and did not want to REPURCHASE another SOLAR Charge Controller ($$$$).

My reasoning for the HIGH Voltage (250 Watt) SOLAR panel is because I wanted to get the most out of the available sunshine. That panel with the MPPT 60 gives me a continuous average of 19.5Amps for a good part of the day. When I install the next 2 panels they will put me at 60 Amps, which should be more than enough for any of my needs.

You can use cardboard cutouts the same size as the panels you select and lay them out on the roof to see how you can arrange them.

Before you purchase anything, sit down and do the necessary calculations so you do not have to redesign your system after your initial purchase ($$$). With a planned system you can start small and add without repurchasing things.

Good Luck!

Just my thoughts,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
SOLAR - Longest Wire Runs.jpg   Solar Panel Mounting Process.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote